Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies after surgery how long did it take aunt flow to come back? If you have been irregular or not had a period due to being overweight?

I was pretty regular pre-band, but immediately after surgery I had 3 very heavy irregular periods within 6 weeks. I went to my GYN and she said not to worry, it should go back to normal in a few months. Trust your doctors! In 3 months, I was right as rain again.

Good luck everyone!

I have had irregular periods due to PCOS since I was 17; but since I started really working on losing weight last year, they have become more regular, albeit very heavy. I had my period 3 days after I got banded (boy was that fun), and it was very normal flow-wise. I hope that it's normal next time too.

My doctor says that ladies who have PCOS often find that when they are able to lose weight they will start having regular periods again, and may become fertile. My partner has a vasectomy, so I don't expect to be having any babies, but a normal cycle would be nice.

I was on meds for PCOS but didn't start regulating until 2 months before surgery. Then on my surgery day, literally 2 hrs post-op, I started.

Im OK before and after.. Good luck!!!!!

@ROSIE I NOTICED U HAVE REPLIED 2 ALOT OF PPLS TOPICS (sorry bout caps) so u lost 48lbs already and u just had ur surgery 2weeks ago? wow. I am curious how was the pain after? I am also having a hernia repaired so I am expecting more pain.

@ROSIE I NOTICED U HAVE REPLIED 2 ALOT OF PPLS TOPICS (sorry bout caps) so u lost 48lbs already and u just had ur surgery 2weeks ago? wow. I am curious how was the pain after? I am also having a hernia repaired so I am expecting more pain.

Hi there :)

I've lost 50 pounds total since starting my pre-op diet; so 25 pounds of that was the pre-op diet, and 25 pounds is since the surgery. I've lost weight kind of scary fast since the surgery. I really like to exercise, and I exercise A LOT. I would love to run a marathon someday. I find that losing weight helps me exercise more, and exercising more helps me lose more weight, so it's just kind of snowballing; in a good way. I walked 7 miles today; normally I walk 2 miles a day, and I do yoga for 1 hour four days a week. Once I heal a little more I'd like to take zumba and start jogging; and I also take Belly Dance classes (haven't started back up yet since getting the surgery, I'm waiting a couple of weeks)

Anyhoo, I didn't have a hernia repair, so I don't know how that will affect your healing time; but I didn't have a lot of pain. Where I had the most pain was in my shoulders and neck from gas, but walking a lot helped more than anything! I just mostly felt tight and bloated. It did hurt when I tried to lay down the first couple of days, so I slept in the recliner (thanks to the suggestion from someone on the board here) and put a heating pad behind my shoulders and neck. That was great! At this point, I haven't really had any pain for almost a week now. The most pain I have is if I do too much bending, my port feels a little sore.

My greatest advice thus far, and I don't know that much yet since I'm only 2 weeks post-op, but anyhoo, is to do what your doctor says. My doctor has a fairly conservative plan in regards to diet, and he advances his patients fairly slowly. I actually think it's helped me a lot, since I haven't had any sliming or nausea at all.

Hope that helps, sorry for those who've read my info before and I'm repeating myself.

Just remember though, that we're all different, and we all have different metabolisms and rates at which we lose or don't lose. You may lose a lot more than me, and you may lose less. Just remember to focus on healing first and don't compare yourself to others after your surgery. Some people will lose a ton of weight and never have a fill or only have one, and some people will need a lot of fills; some people lose quickly, some lose slowly. The best thing you can do is listen to your body and what you need! Good luck!

Rozie --- How soon after your surgery did you start walking for excercise? I had mine the 16th and would love to start. I go to the doctor Friday and I am anxious to hear what she has to say.

Actually, my period was really bad prior to surgery. They were extremely irregular for almost my whole "adult" life. I'm 22 now. In fact, since January of this year I had it for 4 months straight! Literally! It was terrible! It wasn't always heavy, but it was so irregular - lots of spotting. I talked to my doctor and it was because of my weight. At that time I was 316 lbs. They were heavy and usually started to get heavy when I was nervous or stressed. However, since surgery May 18th and 42 lbs later, my period is so regular! I mean, I had one period a week ago and it was heavy...but it wasn't heavy for like 2 weeks. No, it was heavy for 2 days and then stopped. I'm finally a "normal" adult! This band has changed my life in more ways than one!

@more2love thats awesome I havent had period unless I am on birth control so hopefully after some weightloss I will get one.

@ rozie i love reading ur stuff thats awesome U EXERCISE ALOT THATS PROB WHY U HAVE LOST SO MUCH I have lost only 5 pounds and I get banded on july 5 I am anxious 2 see how I will look thinner.

Rozie --- How soon after your surgery did you start walking for excercise? I had mine the 16th and would love to start. I go to the doctor Friday and I am anxious to hear what she has to say.

I was walking the first day! However, at first it was more to stop the gas pain and prevent clots than exercising. In my case I had a regular walking routine before surgery of 2 miles a day, so about 4 days after I was back up to 2 miles again.

The first couple of days were difficult and a little painful, but I did it anyway, I think it helped in the long run. I probably could have taken some pain meds before I walked to make it more comfortable for me, but I didn't.

My best advice is to walk as much as is comfortable at this point. Don't over-do it, and don't do it to the point of pain like I did, I don't think that was such a great idea.

One thing that really helps is don't try to go out for one big long walk all at once; what I did the first few days was I would get up every couple of hours and walk about the distance of around a city block; then I increased it over time.

I'm two weeks out now, and I'm trying to increase my distance. I'm up to 3 miles now. My goal is to be able to participate in a 5K Run/Walk in September, which is something I've never done or thought I could do before, so I'm excited!

Hope that helps you and best of luck!

@more2love thats awesome I havent had period unless I am on birth control so hopefully after some weightloss I will get one.

@ rozie i love reading ur stuff thats awesome U EXERCISE ALOT THATS PROB WHY U HAVE LOST SO MUCH I have lost only 5 pounds and I get banded on july 5 I am anxious 2 see how I will look thinner.

5 pounds is still pounds lost! Every pound is a victory I think. Keep at it!! :D I hope your surgery goes well!

I was regular before, even while on nuva-ring for birth control....kept the ring in for surgery and just now started....great.... but at least LBT members posted about it and I was aware that having surgery might bring back the flow!!!!

I have always been irregular and have gone up to 10 months without Aunt Flow. A couple days after surgery I started spotting and had a light period but not a real one. Doctor said the surgery does play with your hormones. That was the first I had heard about that, lol. Anywho, I had a hietal hernia repaired and I won't lie, it was causing me trouble after surgery. A pain was in my throat from laying down and everything being pulled. A couple days later, the pain went into the left side of my face whenever I laid down. I asked the doctor who said to sleep sitting up. I did and it helped a little but was still intense for a couple days. Before I knew it, it was gone. She said it's common because your pulling.

My problem now is the constant feeling of my belly area being sore. I also had to inject Lovenox on the outside of my belly for two weeks after surgery but inside and out is just sore. I was told this could last for a month or longer. Just part of it. Take the good and the bad for lasting results. That's what I keep telling myself.