Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drink and Drive

So I am set up my surgery date which is July 1st!! whoo whoo!! They tell me make sure you never drink and drive... I am thinking DUH, everyone knows it is dangerous and illegal to drink and drive... So then I am thinking about it before I open my mouth... Wait she means after the band not to drink anything while I am driving. Because, if there is a problem you will wreck.... I was like OMG... I was just informed I can't lift (which is my current job) and no bread for a year (can handle that) but, no Water while driving.... I live in Florida and a drink is just as important as the car keys ! Has anyone heard of this.... So I am not worried about pre op diet, or going under, I am worried about not being able to drink water while I drive, or my band slipping is my worst fear.. Those were the 2 things the doc's office emphasized the most. Things I haven't even thought of ... blink.gif

I drink and drive all the time.. I carry a bottle of Water with me at all times.. I think you just have to know yourself before attempting it.. I dont gulp.. I just take small slips.

Yes, learn to sip! I live in Florida, too, and I usually have a bottle of Water or other liquid with me. I have never had a problem with drinking and driving. You won't be able gulp your liquid, if you do, you could have a problem, but as you get used to sipping, it should not be a problem. Good Luck, Karen

No, that is the first time I've heard that warning. As a matter of fact, I was instructed to carry Water with me everywhere and sip all day to keep hydrated. In the beginning you certainly want to be mindful. But as time goes on you will adjust to band life and learn to read your band. Sometimes I am tighter and know to be cautious not to chance it in a potentially unsafe or inconvenient situation.

I am not sure if you are saying that you were told that you can't lift for a year but that certainly was not the case for me. I was told no lifting for six weeks but basically to listen to my body and stop doing anything that was uncomfortable or painful until the sutures healed. After about 4-5 weeks I was back to my old self and able to pretty much do anything I did pre-band.

I was only told that most people can't tolerate bread. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't but most times I find that it just isn't as enjoyable with the band. food that you may or may not tolerate well will vary from person to person but bread definitely is a common one.

I live in New Oleans and it gets extremely hot down here...I never leave the house without a drink and I've never heard anyone (on here or IRL) who has a band and has wrecked (or almost wrecked) due to drinking too fast. I would, however, caution you against eating while driving...I have heard tons of stories about people getting stuck while driving.

Do not eat and drive... been there done that... Big no-no... Drinking is ok if you sip. ;)

I've never heard that one before. Fluid goes through the band, unless you are WAY too tight. At first you need to sip, sip, sip.

I am over 3 years out. I can drink as fast as I can pour it down my throat with no problems. Some people with tighter bands can feel it gurgle through, but you'll lear how fast you can drink. Maybe they are just trying to remove any chance at liability if you crash?

Oh god yeah, eating and driving, dont even try it. Not only is it disgusting anyway - I mean self esteem wise, I know that stuffing my face whilst driving never made me feel good (its fat behaviour in my mind) - but it makes such a darn mess. But you'll get stuck if you do it, I promise. and if you, like me, think eating in the car is a disgusting habit, try sliming and pbing into a left over coffee cup in peak hour traffic. Once was enough for me, and overall, I never eat in those situations where its mindless and i have to concentrate on something else.

But drinking, have never been told that one. I also ate bread as soon as I could tolerate it. I dont tend to drink in the car either because I also think that slurping out of paper cups all day is disgusting - I'd much rather sit down with a proper cup and saucer, all those pics of celebs with coffee cup in hand drive me nuts. I know, I know, I'm ridiculously picky!

Drinking and driving after a band is generally fine.

Eating and driving can cause major problems.

Never heard the admonition not to drink & drive. Eating and driving.. well, that depends on what you're eating and how tight you are. Sorry if I disgust you Jachut ::grin::, but I've been known to eat a Dr. Kracker smeared with laughing cow cheese on my way to the gym. I do take tiny tiny bites and chew it well. I wouldn't try to drive and eat something that I'd be likely to get stuck on

I also live in a semi-rural area and pulling over to get rid of something ~ if the need should ever arise~ isn't a big deal here. I'd probably do things different in a more populated area.

Maybe they were talking about alcohol? Because you do tend to get drunk faster.

If not alcohol, I'm not sure why they would make that one of the big rules. I drink coffee, tea, Water ...... all the time when I drive. I also live in a very rural area and do a lot of driving. It's nice to have something to drink on the way.

I drink and drive all the time (lol...that sounds awful to say that). I've never had a problem. And I guzzle Water

I've tried eating in the car 4 times now...and never will again. Each time I've slimed into either spare coffee cups or a McD's paper bag I had on hand (they are not at all slime proof BTW). Water though...I guzzle. Unless I have a full pouch. If I know I'm 2-4 hours after a meal I have no problems getting fluids down.

I did have a stuck episode while driving once. I had taken my zoloft pill 5 minutes before leaving the house...and 5 minutes into my drive to work it hit IT WAS UGLY.