Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to this site and hopefully soon I will get my lap band done. I currently weigh about 255 and my goal is to lose 100 lbs. I also have Type II diabetes, hopefully with this surgery my diabetes will go into "remission" I'm excited and nervous, but am ready to take this step.

My surgeon is Dr. Ryan Headley and having my surgery done at Macneal hospital. Anyone have their surgery done with Dr. Headley or Macneal? I would love to hear your story. I'm still in the process of getting all my requirements in. I need to see the phsycologist and I'm done meeting will all the doctors. Hopefully soon I can get a date.

Any advice, stories, I'd love to hear from you. HOw did you do on the liquid diet? I'm trying to prepare myself, that's going to be rough.

Welcome., this is an awesome site. Lots of lookers few sharer's. I am in Texas and I can tell you, you are in for the ride of your life. It is a great journey. I decided before my procedure I could deal with anything. I tried every plan out there and this was my last hope. I wish I could tell you I do everything by the book. I do not but I would do it all over again because of what I have gained so far. In the 15 pounds I was able to get off all blood pressure meds, at 15 I also was noticing I had more energy. I am in the process now, after 67 pounds down, I am getting my life back and I love it. I struggle, I went through a divorce and I will tell you right now, the band does not like major stress. But I managed through it. The liquid diet is for a certain time and is required for your body to heal. I can do anything for a limited amount of time. Get a calendar and mark the date you get off the liquid diet and make marks showing the progress of each passing day. This will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel. Something else I did before the surgery was to make a list of things I can not do and it has been a joy to mark things off my list one at a time as I was able to do that task. For example I was on a trip not long ago and I did not have to have the seat belt extension. I can do my own pedicure. I can walk certain distances and not lose my breath or feel as if I am going to pass out. Make a list of even little things and then when you get down, grab your list and get happy at all you are accomplishing. Bottom line IT CAN BE the best thing you ever did. YOU get to make that decision. The band is a tool, not a fix all. So know what you are getting into, know what it will and will not do. It will not slap your hand when you reach for something you should not eat. It will not force you up and make you exercise, it is a tool that works.

Best of luck.

Hello, wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to this site and hopefully soon I will get my lap band done. I currently weigh about 255 and my goal is to lose 100 lbs. I also have Type II diabetes, hopefully with this surgery my diabetes will go into "remission" I'm excited and nervous, but am ready to take this step.

My surgeon is Dr. Ryan Headley and having my surgery done at Macneal hospital. Anyone have their surgery done with Dr. Headley or Macneal? I would love to hear your story. I'm still in the process of getting all my requirements in. I need to see the phsycologist and I'm done meeting will all the doctors. Hopefully soon I can get a date.

Any advice, stories, I'd love to hear from you. HOw did you do on the liquid diet? I'm trying to prepare myself, that's going to be rough.

welcome fellow chicagoan!!LOL! i was banded on may 20th by dr. elli at day one health in downtown chicago! this has been a very interesting experience. I had my first fill today. This site is a great support group and has tons of info. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions. i am very open!

Welcome., this is an awesome site. Lots of lookers few sharer's. I am in Texas and I can tell you, you are in for the ride of your life. It is a great journey. I decided before my procedure I could deal with anything. I tried every plan out there and this was my last hope. I wish I could tell you I do everything by the book. I do not but I would do it all over again because of what I have gained so far. In the 15 pounds I was able to get off all blood pressure meds, at 15 I also was noticing I had more energy. I am in the process now, after 67 pounds down, I am getting my life back and I love it. I struggle, I went through a divorce and I will tell you right now, the band does not like major stress. But I managed through it. The liquid diet is for a certain time and is required for your body to heal. I can do anything for a limited amount of time. Get a calendar and mark the date you get off the liquid diet and make marks showing the progress of each passing day. This will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel. Something else I did before the surgery was to make a list of things I can not do and it has been a joy to mark things off my list one at a time as I was able to do that task. For example I was on a trip not long ago and I did not have to have the seat belt extension. I can do my own pedicure. I can walk certain distances and not lose my breath or feel as if I am going to pass out. Make a list of even little things and then when you get down, grab your list and get happy at all you are accomplishing. Bottom line IT CAN BE the best thing you ever did. YOU get to make that decision. The band is a tool, not a fix all. So know what you are getting into, know what it will and will not do. It will not slap your hand when you reach for something you should not eat. It will not force you up and make you exercise, it is a tool that works.

Best of luck.

thanks for your response. I'm still trying to figure this site out. I've read tons of post and it has given me lots of great information. Thanks for sharing, I feel I can relate to alot on the board here. I know it's going to be a tough road, I am more than ready. My two main concerns are "what if this doesn't work for me" and "keeping the weight off" Just so ready to start my new life. Thanks again!

welcome fellow chicagoan!!LOL! i was banded on may 20th by dr. elli at day one health in downtown chicago! this has been a very interesting experience. I had my first fill today. This site is a great support group and has tons of info. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions. i am very open!

Thanks for the welcome. I orginally wanted to have my surgery at Day One. The office is 5 minutes away from where i work so it would have been great for my appointments without having to leave early but of that office wasn't covered under my insurance. Thanks for sharing and wishing you all the luck in the world.

:D hello how are u doing i am not banded but i hope to be this summer i am in chicago (skokie)

Hi, I am in Chicago too! West side! I got a call from the doctors office yesterday that they have my referral. My first appointment is August 9. I am 226 pounds and 5'2". I have type 2 diabeties for twenty years. I am excited to see if this stops the progression of the damage caused by my diabetis. I am seeing a Dr. in Downers Grove through Advocate Medical. This site was a great discovery.

Rita

;)

Hi, I am in Chicago too! West side! I got a call from the doctors office yesterday that they have my referral. My first appointment is August 9. I am 226 pounds and 5'2". I have type 2 diabeties for twenty years. I am excited to see if this stops the progression of the damage caused by my diabetis. I am seeing a Dr. in Downers Grove through Advocate Medical. This site was a great discovery.

Rita

nice to meet you my paper work have been send now let see how long it will take my doc that will do my lapband is in evanston let keep in touch ;)

Hello! I live near the Chicago area as well and have been 'banded' for almost five years now! I can hardly believe it when I type that number! It really has been quite a journey. I would be happy to answer any questions that my years of experience with the lapband may be able to help me answer. Best of luck to you all! :)