Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there really a band in there?!?

I was banded three weeks ago today...I am HUNGRY! The first three days post-op was rough but I have felt great since then. I was liquids for one week post-op, mushies for three days and then was allowed to introduce healthy, high Protein food based on my tolerance of it. However, I feel no restriction...no nothing! There is no fill in my band but thought I would at least feel something! I think I could eat a ton of food if I allowed myself (which I will not). I am eating 3 small meals and filling in my hunger with Protein Shakes if needed. I don't feel like I even have a band!! I go for a fill appointment next week, but if I have lost more weight, he may not fill me. I could be doing the same thing without a band (as I did before surgery). Has anyone convinced their doctor to fill them based solely on the hunger factor? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated :) !

I'll be banded July 5. I already "warned" my surgeon that even if I'm losing if I'm super hungry all the time I'm still gonna want a fill and he said he understood and woudn't keep me from a fill under those circumstances.

I was banded three weeks ago today...I am HUNGRY! The first three days post-op was rough but I have felt great since then. I was liquids for one week post-op, mushies for three days and then was allowed to introduce healthy, high Protein food based on my tolerance of it. However, I feel no restriction...no nothing! There is no fill in my band but thought I would at least feel something! I think I could eat a ton of food if I allowed myself (which I will not). I am eating 3 small meals and filling in my hunger with Protein shakes if needed. I don't feel like I even have a band!! I go for a fill appointment next week, but if I have lost more weight, he may not fill me. I could be doing the same thing without a band (as I did before surgery). Has anyone convinced their doctor to fill them based solely on the hunger factor? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated :) !

Welcome to bandster hell! The time between healing and getting your first fill. Everyone goes through it. But, your doctor needs to look at all the factors to giving you a fill. Not just weight loss. Make sure he knows that you are really hungry and that you are still following the rules. But you still need to get to restriction so you don't have to struggle. You should be able to eat a small meal and not be hungry for a couple to few hours. Most doctors understand what you are going through and know that you need a fill.

Julia

They will probably ask you what zone you're in, yellow, green or red. If you tell them yellow, they'll give you a fill.

Tracie T:

I have not been banded yet, but in my doctors' notes, this is what it says about fills:

The first adjustment will be 4 weeks after surgery. Adjustments after this visit depend on the individual. Come in if you are hungry or are not losing weight."

Good luck!!! :rolleyes:

I was banded three weeks ago today...I am HUNGRY! The first three days post-op was rough but I have felt great since then. I was liquids for one week post-op, mushies for three days and then was allowed to introduce healthy, high Protein food based on my tolerance of it. However, I feel no restriction...no nothing! There is no fill in my band but thought I would at least feel something! I think I could eat a ton of food if I allowed myself (which I will not). I am eating 3 small meals and filling in my hunger with Protein shakes if needed. I don't feel like I even have a band!! I go for a fill appointment next week, but if I have lost more weight, he may not fill me. I could be doing the same thing without a band (as I did before surgery). Has anyone convinced their doctor to fill them based solely on the hunger factor? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated :) !

I was banded on 5/24. I feel the same way.....is there a band there? I'm always hungry, I feel no restriction. I go for my first fill on 6/20. I couldn't go sooner because I am "healing". I initially lost 15 pounds but have gained 6 back in the past week or so. Very depressing and frustrating! I'm beginning to give up!

ME TOOOO !! I so hear you, and I am also trying, but it gets really hard after all my kids come home and its 2 different dinner times, homework, etc.. Tough it out, I KNOW it:s hard but drink, rink drink and try to keep your mind busy. Good luck !

ME TOOOO !! I so hear you, and I am also trying, but it gets really hard after all my kids come home and its 2 different dinner times, homework, etc.. Tough it out, I KNOW it:s hard but drink, rink drink and try to keep your mind busy. Good luck !

I was banded on 5/24. I feel the same way.....is there a band there? I'm always hungry, I feel no restriction. I go for my first fill on 6/20. I couldn't go sooner because I am "healing". I initially lost 15 pounds but have gained 6 back in the past week or so. Very depressing and frustrating! I'm beginning to give up!

Don't give up! Are you eating 3 small meals? the Protein shakes really help me when I am hungry. My doctor told me to "never get starved" but it is just so hard! I don't want to eat more because I still want to loose! Ugh...I hope this gets easier!!!

I feel the same way, I had surgery about 5 weeks ago, had my first fill Monday, June 6th, thought I would have more restriction, NO, NONE, I can still eat anything I want. Yes I go by the rules but stay hungry in between. My nurse said I probably would not feel restriction until my 3rd or 4th fill. I have lost weight and the Dr. still put in 4ccs. I am ready for my "sweet spot". Hope it gets here soon.

I was banded 3 weeks ago today. Just started soft solid foods. I have felt hungry for the first time in the past few days, which I haven't felt since surgery.

Here are the things I think help me, cause I have some moments when I thought I was gonna totally cave and have something that would be best for me not to have right now! Drink a ton. When I start feeling hungry I just tell myself I am probably thirsty and I drink something I really like.. for me Fuji apple pear SoBe Water is my favorite.

Then I get busy doing something that occupies my mind and I have been meaning to do anyway. Today, I reorganized my pots and pan shelf. A few days ago, I organized all my sewing material. I forgot all about being hungry.Then when my tummy was really hungry and I could no longer ignore it, I had a small meal and made myself really think about the moment when the starving feeling went away and I was no longer hungry. These are new things for me.. I am used to just eating till what was on my plate was gone.

Also another thing that helps me is going to Fitday.com and logging everything I have eaten. I actually feel really good about my choices the past few days and I am still losing every so slowly! I am having the hardest time being patient because after my surgery, my weight loss has been small compared to some. I keep having to remind myself minute by minute sometimes that my body is healing and I am losing, even if it is not has much as I feel like it should. I can't complain too much yet because I have not exercised as much as would be best for me. Between having the flu and feeling extra sore, maybe from the hernia repair, I haven't felt up to much more than walking a bit, but I have a plan and I started today.. If you use fitday, it helps you see all your achievements and it makes you feel good. I know I can stick to a diet long enough to get to my fill, I have done it before...but I am looking forward to having a little more help.

I have gone through my closet too.. I wondered if I was losing inches maybe since the scale wasn't saying what I wanted it to say. I found 4 pairs of summer pants and a few shirts that I couldn't wear last year that I can now add back into my wardrobe. I also got rid of a few things that were getting baggy in were just not flattering...that was great encouragement for me.

You know what else helps me? This just popped into my head and it makes me kinda tear up a little.. but seeing my husband watch me and encourage me. When I left food on my plate last night he gave me a big smile, because I NEVER leave food on my plate.. I have that clear your plate syndrome..haha. I am a stay at home mom, and his sacrifices to me so I could have this surgery have meant the world to me. He loves me the way I am, but he supports me.. So yeah, that helps me stick to it also. I want him to be proud of me. I want to be proud of me.

I keep reminding myself that even though the basic idea of weight loss, less in, more movement is the same for me.. I also have some issues that make it more of a challenge for me. I will not let it be my excuse, but I have to remember I am on my own journey and as long as I keep moving forward , I am doing ok.

Wow.. I didn't realize I had soooo much to say.. Imagine that.. me talking too much..hummm

Good luck.. you can get through this!! Hungry is not dangerous.. just think when you are hungry, it means you have not recently eaten something you should not have..haha!!

I am so glad to know I'm not in this alone. I was banded three weeks ago today. Although I get full faster that I did before the band, it certainly doesn't feel like there is anything holding back my hunger. I lost 18 lbs in a little over 2 weeks, but for 4 or 5 days I have not lost an ounce, even though I'm being very careful in what I'm eating. I'm committed to this, but a little disappointed in the lack of progress. Goodness knows, there is a long haul ahead ...