Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My husband and I eat out usually once aweek! We have 7 kids so thats like our little break for the week.So due to the 2 week liquid diet and my surgery which is 10 days old, he misses that dinner out with me! What do you bandsters order when u eat out????/

I was banded June 3. Went out to eat with hubby two nights ago. Went to IHOP. Ordered cheese and mushroom omelet but told them not to put any pancake batter in eggs. Also had a little hashbrowns with catsup on them and two pieces of bacon. I only ate about half the eggs. Skipped the pancakes, of course. Everyone was happy. In talking with other bandsters, eating out is sometimes challenging but not impossible. Doggie bags are a good thing. With seven kids, someone is sure to appreciate the leftovers. Save your salad for after your meat, eat no bread, and either order your drink in a go-cup or order Water (even though you can't drink with your meal, this keeps waitstaff from bugging you)

It is very unusual for a diet 3 months post op to consist of soft Protein only. Your Dr obviously has a very unusual regime compared to the majority. Most people at this stage are able to eat normal foods as tolerated by them.

Did you mean 3 weeks out? I agree with previous poster that is too long to be on mushies!

To original poster. What does your doctor say about diet progression at 10 days out I was still on full liquids so Tomato Soup, etc. You could order a pureed Soup but I would stay away from solids.

Agreed

:mellow:

It is very unusual for a diet 3 months post op to consist of soft Protein only. Your Dr obviously has a very unusual regime compared to the majority. Most people at this stage are able to eat normal foods as tolerated by them.

wow MsAnn, I cant believe you are eating so much right after being banded! Im on liquids, with a few cream Soups and Protein Shakes. I had a very rough time for the first week with heartburn! My first trip to the docs is tomorrow since surgery. I was thinking about pureed Soup but didnt know how resturants felt about this.

I was surprised by MsAnn as well. I don't remember eating those items a week or two out.

As far as what to order, if your husband likes to share, one entree and one appetizer and you are golden. I eat about 1/4 of whatever we order, he eats the other 3/4. It works for us. I've been banded for nearly 2 years now. Lost 75 of the 88 I wanted to lose the first year. Haven't lost any since. But that's OK. I'm still nearly 20 pounds below where the dr thought I would be 3 years out.

I didn't have any problems with bread the first year -- now, I can't tolerate it. I have never been able to do eggs and chicken can sometimes create a problem.

I try not to drink with meals. I usually ask for a glass of ice. Drink whatever melts. Works for me.

We're all trying to change our lives...consider something else instead of going out to eat. Try something else that you guys enjoy, right now the weather is nice, consider a walk in the park together. I was missing going out to eat all the time with family and friends but I'm starting to learn other things that I can enjoy with them. I'm no longer eating out to enjoy it, I'm eating because I need the nutrition. If you really want to go out to eat, try going somewhere that has Breakfast and eating scrambled eggs or go somewhere with grilled chicken. TGI Friday's has an awesome sizzling cheese chicken that is grilled and if you chew well, you should do fine with it.

My husband and I eat out usually once aweek! We have 7 kids so thats like our little break for the week.So due to the 2 week liquid diet and my surgery which is 10 days old, he misses that dinner out with me! What do you bandsters order when u eat out????/

My first week out we went to eat-I just had the Soup and asked them you bring it as my meal and I had a virgin strawberry diaquari. You can eat out you just have to plan for it. When you are are on mushies you have more options. A lot depends on what stage you are on the diet. A lot of restuarants have Vegan options, Chines restuarants have a 'diet 'menu, I think mexican has some options that might work-minus the bread. There are a few cookbooks for bandsters and they might give you some ideas of things to order. Good luck!

For Mexican, my "go to" choice is fajitas (usually shrimp)...just eat the meat and veggies and have your family keep the chips on the other side of the table ;).

I eat out usually 1-2 times a week...you can check out menus online before you go so you can decide and plan what you will eat (a lot if websites have nutritional info which helps).

My first week out we went to eat-I just had the Soup and asked them you bring it as my meal and I had a virgin strawberry diaquari. You can eat out you just have to plan for it. When you are are on mushies you have more options. A lot depends on what stage you are on the diet. A lot of restuarants have Vegan options, Chines restuarants have a 'diet 'menu, I think mexican has some options that might work-minus the bread. There are a few cookbooks for bandsters and they might give you some ideas of things to order. Good luck!

I just started my 4th post-op week, or the 2nd week of soft mushies, and I ate out for the first time since May 10th, the day before I started my official pre-op diet. I went to Bob's Big Boy and had a bowl of chili. Had no problems... even had 2 packs of crackers with it.

I stick to a protien and veggie when I go out to eat. I ask for extra veggies instead of the potatoes or Pasta it comes with. Of course, stay away from the bread basket. It might help to check out the menue online before you go, and plan what you will order. Also, that way you can choose a different resturaunt if they don't have something you like and that is on your food plan.

Hubby and I share meals or I get a take out box and divide my meal in half. Then I don't have to worry about my lunch the next day.

It is essential to learn how to quietly ask the waiter to puree your Soup. They don't need a life history, only a quiet request on the order of "Due to recent surgery I must ask if your kitchen can kindly puree my soup please". In the entire postOp recovery 3 week liquids/3 week mushies I never had any problem with such a request.

And even now often only the appetizer menu is plenty for me depending on what/where.

Our postOp "social eating" does require some modification from our old preOp eating behavior......we can learn to modify our table social behavior to enjoy the occasion without over eating. It does take practice to learn the shifts in our new Life Style.