Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to know how much am I likely to lose if I choose this surgery.

The doctor told me 50 pounds (I weigh 225... that would be fantastic) but most of the information I read online says either "between 31 and 54 percent of excess weigh" or "about 50% of excess weight." Why the discrepancy?

What is "excess weight?" My so-called ideal weight is 160. Is excess weight the difference between my current weight and my ideal weight? Is it something else?

I'm also wondering why the surgeon is so optimistic?

I would be disappointed if I did this and only lost 25 pounds. I've lost that much before, though I wasn't able to maintain it. I would do this if it lead to a very dramatic loss of weight.

Can anybody give me the straight dope?

You get as much out of the band as you're willing to put in. The band will make it so you feel fuller quicker, so you hopefully won't overeat. It's still up to you to make healthy food choices, to eat only when hungry and not just because you're bored, and you still have to exercise.

And why wouldn't the surgeon be optimistic? He's trying to tell you that yes, you can do it.

Yep, what the worm above said. You'll get out of it what you put into it. Some people only lose 20 pounds. MOST people lose a good amount. SOME people lose ALL of their excess weight, and get fit and skinny and fabulous. How will you do? That's up to you.

Really, it's a diet with a bonus helper. Until you get to a good fill level (possibly 2, 3, maybe more months after surgery) you will be going on willpower alone. The band does not do any of the work for you- ALL it helps you do is feel full faster. It won't prevent you from eating unhealthy foods. Ice cream, chips... that stuff slides right through the band without a problem.

Yes, excess weight is the difference between your ideal and current weight, provided your ideal weight is realistic.

I agree with both Sandworms and Rachel you get out of the band what you put into it. Unless the band has slipped or their is some type of malfunction, it will do its job, but your job is still the hardest. It is was determines significant weight loss from plateaus and weight gain while having it. I've noticed a trend over the last 6 months on blogs, forums, youtube etc. from bandsters who are having trouble shedding the pounds and aside from band malfunctions, they are all cheaters. Whether that be with alcohol, not exercising, or poor food choices. If your drinking alcohol on weekends, or fruit juices high in calories, snacking on Cookies, ice cream and other high calorie items you were told to stay away from, you are NOT gonna be successful losing the weight. If you put in the work and follow the diet, you will lose the weight you want. I've also noticed a trend in those who lose alot, and who are most sucessful at keeping it off over time, and that is, they've become alot more physically active. They take gym classes, do workout tapes, 4k runs, etc. Lapband isnt a magic pill, its just a tool to help you, but you've got to be willing to put in some work if you want to be successful. Good Luck, I'm sure you can do it. I intend to work my butt off to lose all the weight I want to.

If you are too, you will.

My Surgeon told me to expect to lose and keep off 50% of my excess weight. I started at 301 and my ideal weight is approx 165. So I can expect to lose about 68lbs. Some people really work extra hard to lose more, so people don't work very hard or don't modify their lifestyle very much and lose less.

If you go through with surgery you will have to commit to losing the weight and working with the band. For me, It is daily cardio and some weight lifting. I don't worry as much about my diet because Portion Control was always my issue and my band has certainly helped me with that. I still have chips (a serving of 10 chips) and I still have ice cream (a 1/2 cup serving). I don't drink liquids that have calories, and I try to stay away from empty calories as best I can. As long as you make some changes your band will work for you. It does take time though, so just remember that it won't all come off overnight!

Good Luck!