Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking...shots, mixed drinks, etc?

Hey all-

This question is probably going to make me sound awful - but - here it goes. I don't drink often at all. Less than even once a month usually. However - there are certain occasions that I drink, er, excessively.... My best friend's halloween party, a high school friend reunion annual christmas party, a 4th of july party - that's about it. So, more or less three times a year. These times, the object is obliteration pretty much - we drink a lot, laugh, play drinking games, kinda relive our college days (I'm 29)

The other 363 days of the year I'm more or less obtaining from liquor all together. At most I'll have a glass of wine at a social function but that's even rare.

I know drinking is empty calories, I know carbonation is a no-no (adios beer & captain & cokes) but -what about shots?

Haha--so, is three times a year binge drinking ok? Does it even work? I have a really high liquor tolerance now (Irish heritage?) does that really change all that much? I know I'll prob. have to wait a few months after the surgery before trying it, and if I can't drink like that it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I'd be bummed. Maybe I'll party heartier at this 4th bbq to make up for loosing the future ones.

OH I know the feeling. I loved and love my cocktails. I havent drank any cocktails in a while but did have 2 glasses of wine last week and woo felt good. Im on occasion going to do what you are asking about. We need to make lifestyle changes and I dont see anything wrong on occasion. Dont over do it I cant bare the thought of throwing up from alcohol.

July 4th is huge at my house and i was sweating it but Im going to have 2 drinks in the night and thats it.

good luck :rolleyes:

LOL - I drink every now and then too... Look up the calories in what you are going to drink - I'll have lemondrop martini's - tequilla & tonic - gin & tonic - pomergranite margarita's

I've had shots and stuff since surgery with no problem. The only thing I've noticed is the drunker I get, the more I want to eat junk food ( especially ice cream, which we all know is a slider food). Just something to be aware of.

I enjoy a cocktail everyonce in a while.... since my Jamaican Rum and DIet Cokes are a thing of the past and I am not fond of the taste of most hard liquor I struggled on what to drink. I found Citron or Manderin Vodka mixed with Water and a splash of regular cranberry with a lime is actually very refreshing and good. I tried the splash with the diet crandberry but it left such a bad aftertaste I couldnt stomach it. I estimate the "splash" of cranerry is not much more than a teaspoon full so It wont kill me. Make it look the color of a light pink flamingo!! 2 of those and I am feeling it.... and to think I used to think I had a high tolerance for alcohol. LOL

Just dont forget to count the calories in your food diary...B) Vodka is about 60-80 calories per ounce

I enjoy cocktails on occasion. I have to steer clear of beer and carbonated drinks---the gasses really build up and make me feel yucky. I have done a few shots since surgery. The only thing with that is it is hard to take the shot in one big gulp (like I use to do). I usually have to take the shot in 2 big sips.

I just ordered some SF drink mixes from Baja Bob's. I made margaritas with the Margarita mix and they're not too bad, plus they're way lower in calories than regular mix. The Sweet and Sour mix isn't too bad either (I do like my whisky sours!). Just a way to keep the calorie count down while still enjoying the occasional drink.

Gin and Tonic is usually my drink when I do drink-- How does the tonic effect you?

LOL - I drink every now and then too... Look up the calories in what you are going to drink - I'll have lemondrop martini's - tequilla & tonic - gin & tonic - pomergranite margarita's

When I go to a party I pan on how many drinks I will have-plus I drink Water in between. I saw in the super market that Crysta Light has Mojito and Margarita packets-I am goingto try them. I don't think 3 times a year is going to do any harm and long as you plan for it.:P

A few times a year isn't going to hurt you, just stay away from the carbonation. Life doesn't stop just because you are banded. In fact, done properly, it begins! I used to have such a high tolerance for alcohol. My father was a construction worker and my step-father was a sailor. They were both alcoholics. There was a time when I could drink either one of them under the table. Now, with the minimal amount of food in my system at any given time, it doesn't take much for me to start feeling it.

so yeah there are the calories to consider ;) but like you said it's very rarely that you are doing this BUT here is my thing!!

after 9 lemon drops one night I found myself SICK BEYOND belief! and I began puking violently! :( sorry groose- and puking with the band SUCKS!! it really hurts! so just dont drink to the point of puking-

oh and another time I didn't drink quite as much but you know when you are at that place where you are like UGG if I could just puke I'd feel so much better! well I couldnt puke thanks to my band keeping everything down and I had to sweat it out literally for hours until my body worked out all the alcohol and it sucked! :)

cheers!