Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my third fill on Saturday and have not been able to get anything thicker than Water down. I have spent most of my days vomiting (from trying to get fluids/food down). I can drink a premixed Protein Drink but can't get one I make myself down. I can drink tea, water, and coffee but vomit any type of creamy Soup up. I even tried Malt O meal and started vomiting by the fourth bite. What do people do when their band is to tight? Will it loosen up in time? I am about 6 hours from my doctors office so I can't just run in for an adjustment.

you just have to get the adjustment.... you can't continue to vomit like that. Call the dr office and tell them what is going on.

Ya, sounds like you need an adjustment. You'd hate to have your band slip out of place from vomitting so much. Sorry! Doesn't sound fun. :-(

Is there ever a point when you have a fill that you can't eat solids? or should I always be able to eat solid foods just in smaller portions? I have some people tell me this is normal and just wait it out but IDK if thats their version of normal. I will try to get in touch with my dr tomorrow..... I need someone that does fills close to me because I'm going to go broke.

Hi Shucky,

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How much fill do you currently have in what size band?

2. Does your doctor do the fills in front of the x-ray, or does he have you drink Water after?

I'm just curious. Let us know what the doctor says after you call tomorrow.

Hi Shucky,

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How much fill do you currently have in what size band?

2. Does your doctor do the fills in front of the x-ray, or does he have you drink Water after?

I'm just curious. Let us know what the doctor says after you call tomorrow.

My band holds 8ml and I have 3ml in it (I believe thats what they said). He does it under xray (where I drink the chalky stuff) and then I have to drink Water before I go. I felt it was harder to get the water down before I left but thought it was because I just flew in and got a fill so thought my band was tighter because of that. Normally when I fly home my band gets really tight but seems to loosen by the next day.....not this time

Wow, I'm surprised he got you too tight while doing it in front of an x-ray. Has it been liquids only since the fill or were you ever able to eat anything solid since?

That sucks that you have to actually fly for a fill - everyone says that flying makes you more tight.

Keep us posted.

Is there ever a point when you have a fill that you can't eat solids? or should I always be able to eat solid foods just in smaller portions? I have some people tell me this is normal and just wait it out but IDK if thats their version of normal. I will try to get in touch with my dr tomorrow..... I need someone that does fills close to me because I'm going to go broke.

You should always be able to eat solid foods, taking small bites and chewing well. It's not unusual for people to not be able to eat Breakfast (having to drink something instead) but by lunch you should be able to eat real food, at least something soft like tuna salad or egg salad, if not something with more density. Certainly by evening you should be able to eat dense, solid Protein.

What you described in your first post is not normal and could possibly be dangerous if you continue to throw up a lot. You could risk slipping your band.

It's not clear to me from your post if you did a period of liquids and then tried to proceed to soft foods after the fill or if you tried to jump right back into regular food. I think you probably did try to take the slow refeeding approach, but if you didn't.. back up and try again and progress much slower this time.

Have you tried sipping some hot coffee or hot tea before trying to eat? Days when I'm tight, a warm or hot drink or cup of Soup will loosen me just enough to where I can eat. Waiting 30 minutes after drinking the hot coffee doesn't apply during this time. Drink the warm drink and then go ahead and try to eat. If you wait 30 min, the loosening effect is likely to have worn off. Also make sure you are cutting your food into english pea sized bites and chew them very very well. I sometimes use a "food lube" like fat free refried Beans or a bit of greek yogurt or perhaps low sugar ketchup to help the food slide down.

I think a previous poster is right and you're going to have to get some of the Fluid from the latest fill taken back out. Not necessarily all of it, but at least some. Call your doctor and see if they will guide you to someone closer. If they won't.. for your health's sake you will need to bite the bullet and make the 6 hour drive or take the flight, get this situation under control and then start looking for a bariatric practice that is more accessible for you.

Hope you feel better very soon.

Hey there...after adjusting a band, a possible side effect is inflammation around the area where the band is placed. As a result, this might be the reason you are vomiting If this is the case, you will be ok in no time.

Then there's the other scenario which our fellow 'sleevers' have described so well...they are getting good at this!! If this is the case, then definitely go to you physician.

Keep us posted.

Wow, I'm surprised he got you too tight while doing it in front of an x-ray. Has it been liquids only since the fill or were you ever able to eat anything solid since?

That sucks that you have to actually fly for a fill - everyone says that flying makes you more tight.

Keep us posted.

It wasn't my regular doctor but another doctor filling in and he made the comment that my band was really loose and he put a full ml. Flying definately makes the band fill tight. After my fill I flew to Austin for work and then back home so it could still be trying to adjust...... possibly

Hey there...after adjusting a band, a possible side effect is inflammation around the area where the band is placed. As a result, this might be the reason you are vomiting If this is the case, you will be ok in no time.

Then there's the other scenario which our fellow 'sleevers' have described so well...they are getting good at this!! If this is the case, then definitely go to you physician.

Keep us posted.

I do have a very sensitive stomache and always get diarrhea after a fill and have to do liquids for a day. I did fly out after my fill to work and then two days later flew home so I am hoping its inflammation. How long should I wait it out?

You should always be able to eat solid foods, taking small bites and chewing well. It's not unusual for people to not be able to eat Breakfast (having to drink something instead) but by lunch you should be able to eat real food, at least something soft like tuna salad or egg salad, if not something with more density. Certainly by evening you should be able to eat dense, solid Protein.< /p>

What you described in your first post is not normal and could possibly be dangerous if you continue to throw up a lot. You could risk slipping your band.

It's not clear to me from your post if you did a period of liquids and then tried to proceed to soft foods after the fill or if you tried to jump right back into regular food. I think you probably did try to take the slow refeeding approach, but if you didn't.. back up and try again and progress much slower this time.

Have you tried sipping some hot coffee or hot tea before trying to eat? Days when I'm tight, a warm or hot drink or cup of Soup will loosen me just enough to where I can eat. Waiting 30 minutes after drinking the hot coffee doesn't apply during this time. Drink the warm drink and then go ahead and try to eat. If you wait 30 min, the loosening effect is likely to have worn off. Also make sure you are cutting your food into english pea sized bites and chew them very very well. I sometimes use a "food lube" like fat free refried Beans or a bit of greek yogurt or perhaps low sugar ketchup to help the food slide down.

I think a previous poster is right and you're going to have to get some of the Fluid from the latest fill taken back out. Not necessarily all of it, but at least some. Call your doctor and see if they will guide you to someone closer. If they won't.. for your health's sake you will need to bite the bullet and make the 6 hour drive or take the flight, get this situation under control and then start looking for a bariatric practice that is more accessible for you.

Hope you feel better very soon.

Yes.... I did a full day of fluids. I have to do that every time because I have a very sensitive stomache and every time I get a fill I get diahrrea and nausea but it subsides after the initial 24 hours. I have tried everything and still can't get anything down. I can't even eat a fudge pop as I start vomiting this thick phlegm and feel like it wont go up or down. I tried yogurt in the hotel and it went down but felt "stuck" and very thick so I only ate 2 bites. I won't be doing any more vomiting because I will stick to my sugar free popsicles, tea, Water, coffee, and premixed Protein Shakes. Unfortunately Dallas is the closest bariatric facility to me and it's six hours away (normally not a problem because I schedule my fills with my work travel and just lay over long enough in Dallas to go to doctor and I am not out any money). It's a hard spot because I want to lose weight and not feel like I'm just finding a way out of eating healthy but I don't want to hurt my band (Lord knows I couldn't come up with the money to do it again)........Thanks for your response

I found a practitioner here that does fills and unfills and went in. Only removed 0.3ml but what a huge difference. I'm gonna go crazy on the mashed taters and gravy tonight....JK,JK but a happy to be able to eat without discomfort