Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 2 days ago and I'm hungry

I am still tender. But all of a sudden I'm starving. Tried Protein Shakes nothing is working. What is going on has anyone experienced this. I don't think I will make 10 days.

I am still tender. But all of a sudden I'm starving. Tried Protein shakes nothing is working. What is going on has anyone experienced this. I don't think I will make 10 days.

Are you staying well hydrated with Water? Sometimes as im sure you've heard, thirst is mistaken by hunger. Ive seen a few people that were pretty hungry after- maybe they can offer some other words of wisdom. I myself am 6 days post-op and just starting to feel slightly hungry at times, but its definitely controllable

I have been there. I was so hungry 2 days after surgery, I called my doctor. They basically said that I was probably a quick healer and that I had to tough it out so the band healed properly. I only had to wait 7 full days after surgery and was able to start eating on the 8th day. It was VERY difficult, but I just stuck through it. I was actually brought to tears at the time. I wasnt allowed to have Protein shakes either. I was only allowed broth, Jello, Clear liquids, etc. I hate broth and Jello so I basically drank Water or watered down apple juice. I never thought I would be so happy to eat scrambled eggs...lol. There is not much else that I can say other than try your best not to think of it (although that is probably all you can think about) and you will eat soon enough. Good luck --- I know it is hard, but it will be well worth it!

Oh, and I was able to have sugar free ice pops --- this really helped me get through it :)

I too was very hungry after surgery! I just kept drinking, and finally it got better. I'm two weeks post op, and can't wait to get to eat again! The only thing I can eat besides popsicles, and Jello is creamed Soups for the first 5 weeks. I'm counting the days down!

I was so hungry after surgery that I snuck to the coffee shop and got coffee with cream and 4 cheetos. It hurt so bad from the hunger pains!!!

I'm sure you're starving from not eating food in so long! On day 3 I had a very very small amount of mashed potatoes to stop the hunger pains only. You're really not supposed to have "food", even mushies yet, but it did help to do this just a tad if it got too uncomfortable.

I was hungry right out of surgery! I was allowed to go to full liquids (protien shakes, creamy Soups etc) but i know exactly how you feel! I would make my protien shakes into smoothies with frozen strawberries, a half a banana, protien powder, 1 packet of equal and Water all blended. It taste like a fruit smoothie and it's liquid and has protien. i hope it helps get you through this tough time!

I'm right there with you! I'm only 4 days post op and I'm hungry! I would love to eat a piece of pizza right now! LOL

I'm only on liquids but I picked up some different flavored non fat yogurts to help get me through.

I was wondering if we could eat oatmeal or grits at this stage. I know you aren't suppose to but I don't see why not. Is it that it might irritate the surgery area or that it might make the pouch stretch out?

All I'm asking for is some GRITS! :)

Can you tell I'm hungry now?!!!

5 days and still hungry umm and GRITS sound so good right now. I think I will try some ff Greek yogurt today. I don't even feel whole right now. On another note. I had ordered a few items from Lane Bryant a size too small and it all fit and I think I may send the capris back for a smaller size. Yay!

I found herbal teas helped soothe my sensation of hunger during the first few weeks. One that worked for me was huckleberry tea, others were camomile and peppermint.

Making some tea right now Jack. I've been drinking tea though.

Another tactic I found helpful was to get engaged in some project long put off. One handy task was to start sorting out all my old "Fat Clothes". Amazing mess of items barely worn. And walking. And other home chores. Gardening and yard work. etc. cheers on your journey

ok..i must say u guys r scaring me.. i have surgery in 5 days... on day 1 of this liquid diet..already i'm going nuts.:((

Hang in there drummer! You can do it, don't let us scare you. The Protein drinks have helped so much!

ok..i must say u guys r scaring me.. i have surgery in 5 days... on day 1 of this liquid diet..already i'm going nuts.:((

Hey guys, I'm two days post-op and I'm a little hungry. I find that I'm really to sore and tender and full of gas to really care about eating that much. I can go to full liquids on Monday and my Dr is allowing me to get cream of wheat or malt to meal so I'm excited about that. I also have Isopure in juice that's helping.

hi everybody! i'm new here and just had my surgery on wednesday. i feel pretty good today. i'm finding it's not that difficult to stay with liquids, but i'm just afraid of having too much. i have noticed my stomach growling a bit, but i feel differently about it now, where in the past, i'd have been trying to eat. now i'm going for a Protein Shake instead and i'm ok with it. much more ok with it than i thought i'd be.