Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing what I thought I would

I am 3 weeks post op. Lost 15 pounds during the first week in a half and only 3 lbs. more. I am not sure if this is normal or not. I am very discouraged at this point. I have a hard time with Protein Drinks because of smell and taste. I found one that was tolerable (FRS Protein) and everytime I drink it now, I get sick an hour after drinking it. Needless to say I have has a Protein Drink in about 4 days. Do you think this is the reason I am not losing?

I would say 5 pounds a weeks is pretty darn good. You may be like some of us and go for awhile not losing then all of a sudden there is 5 pounds gone.

Hi Lorie. i am going on 3 weeks post op and my scale actually went up 2 pounds. i was about to jump of the ledge till i spoke with my dietician. the first months focus isnt weight loss, but healing. this is soooo hard for me to accept cuz i've wanted this for so long. my band is empty so i have no restriction since my swelling went down. my appetite is crazy and has mood swings. i get my first fill on the 17th and i cant wait. unfortunatly we have to be patient and wait for a fill to get restriction. we can do this!!:D

The first month is not about loosing weight. It is about healing from abdominal surgery.

It took me 3 fills (4 months) before the band, and this new weight loss program, really started to work the way it is supposed to.

5 lbs is great! Hang in there I know it's frustrating. I seem to loose great.for a week or two & then nothing for a week or two... It all evens out. Be aware that when u start solids ur weight will prob stall if not go up. That can b super depressing.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! At least I know that I am not the only one feeling like this. I got see my Dr on Thursday and will also ask him. :)

I am feeling totally frustrated.. I know the first weeks are about healing, but I am hardly eating a thing.. and drinking and I haven't lost any weight post op. I am 7 days out. If I can't lose weight doing liquids and mushies in such small amounts.. how will I lose when I start eating real foods.. ugh!

I am feeling totally frustrated.. I know the first weeks are about healing, but I am hardly eating a thing.. and drinking and I haven't lost any weight post op. I am 7 days out. If I can't lose weight doing liquids and mushies in such small amounts.. how will I lose when I start eating real foods.. ugh!

I had surgery on the 27 of May, and came home from hospital 8lbs heavier! But, I know that was do to the fluids they were giving me.

I am sticking to everything by the book and I lost the 8lbs and now from my preop weight I am down 3 lbs. Not the numbers I want to

See either. I just feel that this is the easy part, when I actually start eating semi solids it's going to be even harder. I have been jounaling my food/liquid intake and I barely hit 500 cal. A day. Barely get 60 g of Protein. I get my first restriction on the 7/8 . So far so good, haven't had any complications.

It is fustration to know I have been on liquids for 14 days and only be down 3 lbs. I know, I know...We just need to use patience, and heal and not worry if it is not on our own timetable.

Still new to website, so I am looking for some friends....:-) Chrissy

After the initial week of surgery, I had lost about 18lbs and then for like 2-3 weeks, I was at a stand still, but all of a sudden, it started coming off pretty regularly at about 10 + pounds per month. Hang in there - If you are anything like me, I know you are anxious to lose, but it will happen! Good luck to you.

I toitally understand-but you have lost a lot so far! I feel the same way-if I am eating so much less then before surgery why am I not losing more? I have been stuck at the same weight lost ! It is frustrating and I would get a fill for 3 weeks! I know, I know, it's all about healing-but come on!

Then to read that for some people it takes several fills to feel that "just right" feeling is frustrating. I can't wait unitl the fills start happening!

Patience is key here...your body is adjusting to all the 'stress' it went through after the surgery. Little by little your body will adjust and the pounds will start dropping. Stick to your diet regimen and everything will eventually fall into place...no pun intended :D

Dr. JSA

I was banded May 5th, and I too gave been frustrated. I thought I wouldn't be as hungry after my first fill, but I am still very hungry and grazing.. :( I just keep trying to remain patient. I've only lost 11lbs since I got my band, 25lbs total including the pre-op weight loss. Only down 2lbs since my fill last week, and I've been counting calories and doing Zumba atleast 4 times a week. So my point is, don't expect so much from your first fill either. They say it take 3 or more fills to start feeling not as hungry. Be patient, and don't get discouraged.

I am three weeks out and was down to 15 but when I started eating solids, I gained 3. :( I am getting a little discouraged. I don't go for a fill until 6/20.

I found the greatest Protein powder recipe on Amazon for about $27. It is Sentra 6 vanilla Ice Cream flavor. I mix with one cup skim milk, 1/2 cup fruit and one scoop powder. I put this in my Magic Bullet for about 30 seconds. It is delicious. I have a really bad gag reflex and I love this. I compare it to a strawberry shake at DQ.