Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am doing what I swore I wouldn't

I didn't weigh myself for the first 5 days after surgery and then when I did I was happy, but not excited. I read too much about people losing huge amounts week 1 and 2 and got down that I "only" lost 6 lbs. I did lose 10 the week before surgery so I knew to expect a lower number. But now I am obsessed. I WI every day and the numbers have not budged in the past 3 days and I am still on liquids so it is freaking me out.

I think I am going to tell my husband to hide the scale.

Anyone else do the same or still doing it?

I admit I am somewhat scale obsessive myself, but will only record my weight every Monday. So no matter the fluctations throughout the week, what shows on Monday stays. I actually got to a point where I weighed myself several times a day ( I know, awful); if putting it away is what you need then by all means do it. Just remember that even though the scale might not be moving, you could be losing inches. I measure myself once a month and am astounded at the numbers that come back. That and seeing the way your clothes fit and how you feel physically mean more to me than any number on a scale...

Get rid of the scale or give it to your husband and have him give it to you once a week to weigh in. I was scale obsessed for years. Once I thew away my scale and joined Weight Watchers and got weighed in once a week, it changed my thinking on "how much I weigh". We all get too fixated with the number on the scale and there is so much more to judge success by. Good luck!!!

I'm being banded on Thursday but became obsessed with the scale during my pre-op diet. I NEVER in my life weighed myself with the exception of doctors visits. Now, every morning, I'm weighing. When i first started it was so bad that I would weigh myself throughout the day but then realized I was throwing on many lbs during the day with liquids alone, so I started only weighing in the mornings. I know I will be asking my husband to hide mine once I'm banded and I am prepared for it, lol.

For me, I wanted to make sure I was on the right track but of course would become stressed and upset when the scale didn't budge for days at a time. Ever seen Office Space? The scene with the Copier machine? Some days, I would love to treat my scale the same way :D

I just put my scale away the other day. I am going to bring it out once a week. I got obsessed also because I would weigh myself a couple times a day. Sooo frustrating doing that. I mean you would tbink that I could actually see it go down while watching it. NOT.

If I am doing what I am suppose to do then it will go down. I can tell more with my clothes than the scale anyway.

I didn't weigh myself for the first 5 days after surgery and then when I did I was happy, but not excited. I read too much about people losing huge amounts week 1 and 2 and got down that I "only" lost 6 lbs. I did lose 10 the week before surgery so I knew to expect a lower number. But now I am obsessed. I WI every day and the numbers have not budged in the past 3 days and I am still on liquids so it is freaking me out.

I think I am going to tell my husband to hide the scale.

Anyone else do the same or still doing it?

I am sorry to say I have don the same thing but it sounds like alot of people are having the same results that I have so I'm going to not worry until it's time to worry. Keep your head up!!! We'll get through this together!!!

weight.png

I weigh every day but I don't count when it goes up, only when it goes down laugh.gif

I weigh everyday but I bought a Wi-Fi scale that tracks my weight, body fat and BMI so I don't even have to look. It's made by Withings if anyone is interested in getting one. It also imports directly into several calorie tracker programs too. I use LoseIt with it.

I got rid of my home scale because I would do the same thing. I weigh in once a week at the gym. I get to down on myself if I do it more

I had my surgery in January and I rarely go a day without weighing myself. I wish I wouldn't. The days I skip are usually the days that I've eaten more than I should (or made poor choices) so I want a chance to lose any gains before I check. It's a stupid head game but so far I'm losing well so I'm not going to punish myself for it.

I had my surgery in January and I rarely go a day without weighing myself. I wish I wouldn't. The days I skip are usually the days that I've eaten more than I should (or made poor choices) so I want a chance to lose any gains before I check. It's a stupid head game but so far I'm losing well so I'm not going to punish myself for it.

Oh my goodness why are YOU worried about your weight? You're doing spectacular! We had surgery about a week apart and you've lost twice as much as I have! Gimme pointers (lol)!

I know it's hard, but I would only weigh in once a week. I kept my scale in a cabinet under the bathroom sink and just pulled it out once a week. I recorded that weight. I knew the natural flucuations would drive me crazy. My once a week weight in's showed a steady loss for the most part. There was that one week I gained a pound even though I had stuck to my eating plan. Anyway, that being said I am now a "scale *****" as I work on maintaining my weight. I weigh in every morning. Part of me feels like I need to do this to monitor myself, and part of me feels like I am getting obsessed. I should probably cut back on getting on the scale to maybe twice a week. Congrats on your weight loss so far, you are doing great!

I think it depends on the person...I still weigh myself daily (but only record my weight once a week) because I think it helps me stay on track. After this long, I am used to the ups and downs that happen during the week and I don't let them bother me but if the daily fluctuations are freaking you out (and it sounds like they are) then I would have someone hide the scale from you and only give it to you once a week.

I am scale obsessed to :( I did good the first couple of weeks... But now I weigh daily. I am super obsessed I have a body bugg that tells me my daily calorie burn, I track my food religiously... Then I flowsheet record my intake, burn, & defict daily and average them weekly! Yikes writing that down makes me realize how crazy I am.