Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is scheduled for July 18!!! I thought I would be thrilled but now I am afraid I am making the wrong decision and I will be one of the banders who does not loose any weight.

I think I understand all the things that need to be done to make me successful, but what if I can't do it??? Small portions, chew, don't drink during meals, exercise. I know the rules now how to loose weight and keep it off but I can't seem follow those rules.

I read a lot of the posts under struggling lap banders and I could totally be one of them too.

Part of me is like if I keep doing what I am doing now I will keep getting the same results and lap band is my attempt to do something different but what if really I need to change something else??????????? I don't know

I have a bmi of 32 now, and have been up and down for 15 years(mostly up) . I don't know what to dosad.gif

Well, ultimately you are going to have to take the chance. I weighed 432 pounds and had a bmi of 68 when I started this journey. I went through all the struggles of wondering how I was ever going to change my bad habits, wondered if I would be one of the people the band didn't work for. I am thrilled with my decision. My journey, so far, has been relativly easy. I am a pretty steady 10 pounds a month loser. I have only had 2 months where my weight loss was only 2 or 3 pounds. It takes more than the band, it takes making healthy food choices and exercise. For me one does not work without the other, but together they work exactly how I was told the band would work (1 - 2 pounds a week). I eat pretty normal, just smaller quantities. I have the occassional treat, a cookie, icecream etc. but only once in a while. I kind of treat myself every 10 pounds, ( i know we are not supposed to use food as a reward) might be a dairy queen, or a yummy starbucks coffee, what ever. I try to believe I can eat anything I want, the "choice" is up to me and it is up to me to make the right choices. It is hard at times yet easier than I thought it would be. I wish you luck in your decision, what ever that may be.

I totally could have writen that post!! My surgery is June 30 and my BMI is 31. I haven't told many people but the ones I have told have all told me that I am not "big" enough and that I am making a mistake.

Hang in there, I think we are both making the right decision.

I think the fact that you are concerned about it is a good sign. Doesn't sound like you are going into it blind.

Read as much as you can on these forums. I did that - even though I was scared - knowledge is key.

Hey Broom, I can relate I was also at 31 and everyone tells me omg your not fat cant believe you got the band. I tell them I dont want to get where I have health issues. I dont regret it at all. I was banded May 3,2011

Good Luck to all the banders

I totally could have writen that post!! My surgery is June 30 and my BMI is 31. I haven't told many people but the ones I have told have all told me that I am not "big" enough and that I am making a mistake.

Hang in there, I think we are both making the right decision.

I totally agree with Checkyes, and would like to add:

You say: "I thought I would be thrilled but now I am afraid I am making the wrong decision and I will be one of the banders who does not loose any weight." Or perhaps you "will be one of the banders who DOES lose all your weight."

You say: "I think I understand all the things that need to be done to make me successful, but what if I can't do it???" But what if you CAN DO IT??? Goodness, what a scary thought, huh? :P

You say: "I read a lot of the posts under struggling lap banders and I could totally be one of them too." Did you read any posts under "success stories", bet you could be one of them too.

You say: "Part of me is like if I keep doing what I am doing now I will keep getting the same results and lap band is my attempt to do something different but what if really I need to change something else?" You're right, what you're doing now will get you the same results (all us bandsters have been there). And, if you don't follow through with your decision to get the lapband how will you know if the band wasn't THE thing?

This is TOTALLY your decision and, since you have a surgery date, it appears that you HAVE made a decision. If you make a clear decision that this is just not what you want to do, well, that's okay too ... but to torture youself with "what if's" and "iffa woulda coulda shoulda's" seems counter productive. Remember, the band is reversible or, you can decide not to have it filled and it will (likely) be as if you don't have a band. I think that's what I like most about the band ... it does not have to be permanent. There are a number of people on this forum that have had their bands removed. You might want to read about them for perspective.

Stress before surgery is not good, so try to relax a bit. Continue to research, you still have time to change your mind ... but do it from a place of knowledge -- not fear.

I wish you the best on your journey ... whatever you choose to do.

~Fran

I totally agree with Checkyes, and would like to add:

You say: "I thought I would be thrilled but now I am afraid I am making the wrong decision and I will be one of the banders who does not loose any weight." Or perhaps you "will be one of the banders who DOES lose all your weight."

You say: "I think I understand all the things that need to be done to make me successful, but what if I can't do it???" But what if you CAN DO IT??? Goodness, what a scary thought, huh? :P

You say: "I read a lot of the posts under struggling lap banders and I could totally be one of them too." Did you read any posts under "success stories", bet you could be one of them too.

You say: "Part of me is like if I keep doing what I am doing now I will keep getting the same results and lap band is my attempt to do something different but what if really I need to change something else?" You're right, what you're doing now will get you the same results (all us bandsters have been there). And, if you don't follow through with your decision to get the lapband how will you know if the band wasn't THE thing?

This is TOTALLY your decision and, since you have a surgery date, it appears that you HAVE made a decision. If you make a clear decision that this is just not what you want to do, well, that's okay too ... but to torture youself with "what if's" and "iffa woulda coulda shoulda's" seems counter productive. Remember, the band is reversible or, you can decide not to have it filled and it will (likely) be as if you don't have a band. I think that's what I like most about the band ... it does not have to be permanent. There are a number of people on this forum that have had their bands removed. You might want to read about them for perspective.

Stress before surgery is not good, so try to relax a bit. Continue to research, you still have time to change your mind ... but do it from a place of knowledge -- not fear.

I wish you the best on your journey ... whatever you choose to do.

~Fran

Awesome post!!

Awesome post!!

Thanks. I find it is so important to see the glass half full instead of half empty -- especially during "bandster hell" and/or plateaus.

It's a journey and we are here to support, uplift ...and sometimes pull each other's "coattail" (old saying ... like me "old" :lol: ).

~Fran

This is the same thing going thru my mind too!! but I know We will be one of the sucessful banders! Trust in your self we could do it!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It means a lot. My primary doctor called me today to let me know that she sent all my records to the surgeon and that the surgery is the perfect choice for me. I am so glad she is that supportive and didn't question me about why I want to go through this.

Hey Broom, I can relate I was also at 31 and everyone tells me omg your not fat cant believe you got the band. I tell them I dont want to get where I have health issues. I dont regret it at all. I was banded May 3,2011

Good Luck to all the banders

Fran you are awesome !!!! Your post was really inspiring and gave exactly what I personally needed to hear tonight . Thank you

Heather -

Thank you all for your comments. It helps to hear others perspectives. If I keep doing the same thing over and over again I will keep getting the same results. I hope I can make this work for me. I look forward to reading about how this is all going for all of you.

My surgery is scheduled for July 18!!! I thought I would be thrilled but now I am afraid I am making the wrong decision and I will be one of the banders who does not loose any weight.

I think I understand all the things that need to be done to make me successful, but what if I can't do it??? Small portions, chew, don't drink during meals, exercise. I know the rules now how to loose weight and keep it off but I can't seem follow those rules.

I read a lot of the posts under struggling lap banders and I could totally be one of them too.

Part of me is like if I keep doing what I am doing now I will keep getting the same results and lap band is my attempt to do something different but what if really I need to change something else??????????? I don't know

I have a bmi of 32 now, and have been up and down for 15 years(mostly up) . I don't know what to dosad.gif

I'm really new to this site, so I hope I'm responding to the right person (I think the user name was Kimmie). I am experiencing people telling me I don't need the surgery, but I strongly beg to differ. I am 5'2", 216 lbs., BMI: 34.6. No one knows my journey with food and weight loss better than me. I am awaiting final approval from my insurance company and because I do not have any co-morbid issues documented per se, they are on the verge of denying me. I am beginning to question whether I should be doing this and would this decision be considered drastic. With the amount of money I've spent on diets, gyms, and supplements, I may as well go with the procedure and obtain last effects. My other issue is my hubby does not want me doing it, but he's not walking in my shoes and does not know how uncomfortable I am right now.

I am glad to see posts of people that have similar circumstances (quote/unquote), of not being "big enough". I am almost to a point of trying to come up with the money to have it done on my own. Would that appear drastic? Nevertheless, thanks for your post and the transparency this site offers.

Im so glad to read your post ,my surgery will be June 30th I here the same thing" youre not big enough "but people dont realize I weigh 190 I was 135 a few yeas ago and it has been impossible to lose a pound, I have my appt for my pre-op testing my my PMD Im afraid she will feel the same wayas everyone else regarding the surgery but after reading your post I feel much better. when is your surgery scheduled I would like to saty in touch and we follow each other progress.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It means a lot. My primary doctor called me today to let me know that she sent all my records to the surgeon and that the surgery is the perfect choice for me. I am so glad she is that supportive and didn't question me about why I want to go through this.