Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you stop/prevent binge eating?

I'm craving something rich and sweet so badly but for me sweets are a binge food so I haven't let myself have anything. 1 candy bar turns into another, and then a cookie or two or three and so on.

I'm doing good so far but I'm still craving something terribly. Any tips or advice?

Ugg, I hear you! I have to just tell myself no as well. I have gotten a couple of the Peanut Butter special k Protein bars. They are pretty good and they can kinda fix a chocolate need.

I have to fix lunch and Snacks for my daycare center and that is the hardest part is not just snacking on the stuff that I am fixing. I used to just take bites here and there all the time, but I have had to really stop and think about that to stop the grazing.:P

Buy the 100 calorie packs or find a way to fit a cookie or 2 into your daily calories.

Binge eating is a tough one! That's what I struggle with. I don't even deny myself treats and other foods I really enjoy and I still struggle with bingeing once in a while. I'm not sure there's any sure fire way to prevent it other than just working through it. My binge episodes have gone way down but definately something I still am working on. It's a slow process to change this for sure! I do have quite an issue with getting that chocolate/sugar taste and then losing control so I can soooo relate to your comment!! Sometimes the feeling both physically and mentally after a binge is actually a good thing, a reminder our bodies were not meant to be treated this way. I feel your pain!

My own episodes of binge eating have been severely decreased by a couple of tactics I had to invent, because I was a prime example of the flaws in the theory of "Temptation Resisted Increased Strength of Character" etc.

1) striving to recognize the difference between HUNGER and mere appetite ("desire to eat something more);

2) actually eating my meals regularly with sufficient hard Protein (3-4 oz) makes a huge difference in postprandial appetite;

3) observation my own obsessive/compulsive fantasies could not be best served by allowing conflicting drives and bosses to control my behavior...as in, either my brain is in charge of what I eat, or my belly is. And leaving the belly to be in charge is what got me to being Morbidly Obese.

cheers in our journeys, fellow Bandsters! Courage! Action! Now!!!!

I have two tricks that work well for me. I still crave something sweet after I eat so I got me some sugar free Worther's originals. It gives me the satisfaction of having something sweet after I eat but it doesn't put any more food in my stomach and satisfies the sweet tooth. Then for times when I feel like I just need an out of the ordinary treat, I bought some sugar free fudge cycle's at Wal-Mart. They taste really good and only have 35 calories so even if i do binge and have two at one time, I'm still ok. They also have some sugar free cremecycle's that only have 14 calories each that are really good. Now, I don't feel deprived if my family is having a bowl of ice cream or something like that. I also found that watermelon is really good this time of year. You can have a whole bunch for very few calories and by the time you chew it really good, and get the Water out, it's only a small volumn but you got to chew so much that you feel like you really ate a whole bunch. When I really desire something crunchy, I get me a few special K chip crackers. You can have like 30 of them for 110 calories. Either that or I munch on some pickle ovals. They are crunchy and make me feel like I still get to have a treat without wrecking my weight loss. I also have to cheer a little right now. I tried on a bunch of size 18 dresses and clothes yesterday that I had stored away hoping to get into. Last year when I put them up, I couldn't even get them over my thighs. Yesterday when I put them on, they went over my thighs, over my waiste and zipped and buttoned with a little breathing room. I stalled out a little last week after a fill and was a little discouraged but this morning I was down 2 more lbs for a total of 43 since my surgery 2/23/11. Woo Hoo. I'm so feeling the changes and my BMI is down 8.:P

Iron will - for me there's no compromise. I cannot have a small amount of something or a chocolate substitute or just one cookie when i feel like a pig out. If I start, that's the end of it, so I just dont start.

I usually do one of two things:

1) only buy one or one serving size. If you only buy 1 candy bar or cookie, then it's all you can eat. If you buy a whole pack, the rest will be calling you until you finish them. I love that cupcakes are so popular now so I can just buy one at a shop instead of a six pack!

2) Eat really minty gum or brush your teeth after eating. If I know it's going to taste like crap, it's kinda not worth it...I'd rather wait until I can enjoy it.

Good luck!

My own episodes of binge eating have been severely decreased by a couple of tactics I had to invent, because I was a prime example of the flaws in the theory of "Temptation Resisted Increased Strength of Character" etc.

1) striving to recognize the difference between HUNGER and mere appetite ("desire to eat something more);

2) actually eating my meals regularly with sufficient hard Protein (3-4 oz) makes a huge difference in postprandial appetite;

3) observation my own obsessive/compulsive fantasies could not be best served by allowing conflicting drives and bosses to control my behavior...as in, either my brain is in charge of what I eat, or my belly is. And leaving the belly to be in charge is what got me to being Morbidly Obese.

cheers in our journeys, fellow Bandsters! Courage! Action! Now!!!!

I agree with you Jack espcially on number 2.......I find if I keep to the dense protien, I don't even think about snacking! And although tuna has tons of protien I think it lacks in density! Think I'm switching to albacore! hahahaha

I am consciencously planning any of my snack foods. If it's not planned I don't eat it. SF pudding with a teaspoon of PB 1/2 sliced banna and a dollop of cool whip is sinfully delicious! If you are going to have this I'd make my other Snacks that day SF Jello or a SF popcicle. I try to buy snacks that my family likes, but I don't like enough to have one. I bough SF choc. Syrup and it says on the directions you can add it to coffee-that sounds good! I will also pour a chocolate Protein Shake into the blender with ice and a 1/2 banana. I have an exact time that I eat my snacks-even if I get hungry earlier I will wait until that time comes around.The secret to avoid binge eating is not to have the triggers in your house and to plan for your snacks. Also fill up on Water. Remember you can't let food have that much power inyour life anymore.

I have a problem with moderation so if I'm craving something, or I just want to eat but I'm not hungry, I'll make myself a hot chai with Splenda. Usually it's sweet enough to hit the spot. If it's that I want to chew, I chew on sugar free gum.

If I give in to a little sweets I am screwed. I will crave something, go to the store to buy it and leave with a million things.

I now take my dogs if I go to the store that way I dont have the hands to carry many things. Since everyone loves my dogs it works out well.

Now my solution when I am craving sweets or something bad is this.

Depending on my craving/feeling I try Peanut Butter (and sometimes with a banana), soda ( it fills me up good and then I dont want food), or popcorn ( I have flavoured powder to put over it). Now I even try pudding.

Another thing I do is drink lots of liquids if I am craving something so then I would have to wait the 30 minutes before eating. Usually by the time I stop drinking and the 30 minutes is up, it is time for bed so I just go to bed.

i made sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding with skim milk,and mixed in some of my chocolate Protein, it was delicious.:D

I keep a bag of Hershey kisses in the freezer. When the craving gets so bad i cant stand it i can have one. The rule is I can have ONE...no more. The other rule is I have to suck it, no chewing allowed. I get the taste for several minutes which is long enough to satisfy the craving and its only 25 calories....20 if you get the dark chocolate ones!

I use flavored Protein shakes. Peanut Butter chocolate blend works well for me. I use 4 ounces of Water to the powder mixture, and mix in a dessert dish. Freeze it, and you have a great pudding. Plus Protein helps kill hunger.

sugar free puddings are good.

Also Boxed sugar free pudding is good to keep around. Sometimes I take a teaspoon, and add it to a about 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Stir in, and enjoy. It's good. I like Pistachio.