Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

trouble eating in the morning

Let me first start off by saying that I am a brand new member as of today! I am looking forward to any and all advice and or feedback that I may receive. My problem is this... I can not eat or drink anything during the day,that is until around 4pm,and I always have to eat ice cream before I can put "real" food in. If I do try to eat or drink I have hic ups, burping accompanied by stomic bile and I have to make my self throw up to make it go away. Some days I can not even swallow my own spit. Thing is once I eat the ice cream,and this is not every day that this works, I can eat to no end I have no restriction. There is no happy medium? I had a problem where my sugar dropped to 39 do they removed some of my Fluid, and now I have no restriction after the ice cream. I can not take the omeprazole they prscribed me because I can not put anything in in the morning. Please help! They have already done an upper GI and xrays and there is no slippage. My Dr actually told me he thinks it is all in my mind..... is this possible . I got down to 159 and they removed Fluid, they said I was so dehydrated that I had no tears...I am now at 180 and they want me at 143. Is this possible?Is it all in my mind?

April

Not being able to eat in the morning is perfectly normal. I haven't had Breakfast in 3 years! I always wake up between 6 and 7 and am lucky if I can eat anything before Noon. I can usually get some food in after a couple pots of coffee. It would appear that you need something cold to loosen you up. I would skip the ice cream tho and try sipping something cold like ice Water or iced tea...something with few calories. As for the dehydration, the human body is made up of about 50% water so, yes, you are going to weigh a lot less if you're dehydrated.

I can't eat anything in the morning, either....that is when I have my Protein shake to start the day....and if i don't sip it SLOWLY I end up hic-upping a storm and miserable....so slow is definately the key. I would not be eating ice cream prior to meals - usually they say that a warm drink loosens things up, not cold? Have you tried that? Like a few sips of hot tea? Just curious...if you do need something cold then I would do ice Water or iced tea, you want low calories.

If you can't eat solid food by the end of the day without ice cream first it would seem there is a problem...I would talk to your doctor....as if your band isn't working FOR you it is going to be working against you and you don't want that! Being too tight is just as bad as being too loose....

Not being able to eat in the morning is perfectly normal. I haven't had breakfast in 3 years! I always wake up between 6 and 7 and am lucky if I can eat anything before Noon. I can usually get some food in after a couple pots of coffee. It would appear that you need something cold to loosen you up. I would skip the ice cream tho and try sipping something cold like ice Water or iced tea...something with few calories. As for the dehydration, the human body is made up of about 50% water so, yes, you are going to weigh a lot less if you're dehydrated.

Thanks for the insight! Thing is I cant drink in the morning either...hic ups and rthen throwing up even if I sip it. I went today and my Dr seems to think that my stomach is irritated at the band sight. We are trying some different stomach meds instead of the omeprazole. I hope this works...I was doing really well losing steady until all this happened now I am at a stand still and still not at my "ideal" weight. Are they serious when they say I need to be at 143 pounds to be at my ideal weight? nI will be a toothpick...Again thanks for the insight.( od and my dr says the ice cream works because it is taking the swelling from the irritation down. So Im eating it... it fat free and sugar free, and when I say ice cream I mean frozen yogurt.Its all I eat as far as sweets.

There's a big difference between 143 and being "skinny fat" and 143 and being muscular and healthy. It's not about a number. It's about how you feel and how your body reacts. If you had diabetes for example and the difference between 160 on insulin and 143 off insulin then yes, get there. But otherwise, go by how you feel. Not a number.

I would definately say if you can't even drink in the morning then you are too tight. I have some mornings when I can't get my cream of wheat down, or even my morning meds, but I can always drink as should you. My nurse told me that she has to drink something in the morning about an hour or two before she can eat cause its true we're all to tight in the morning, but not drinking is not a good thing and I would be afraid it would slow down your progress. OF course non of us want that do we lol. I would see about getting some taken out. I hope this helps!

I have no fill I am 7 weeks out and can't eat till about 3pm each day. I do Protein Drinks in the am. Some days are better than others. I went through hell trying to figure that out. It is not in your head do what works for you. Also on hot days I am tighter.

If things don't get better, you might want your doctor to open you up.

I know someone who had problems with her band, she could barely eat at all during the day. She was getting dehydrated so she kept needing to go back to the hospital for iv fluids.

The doctor removed her fill but she still complained about not being able to eat and drink etc.

He did an endoscope and things didnt look out of place, it looked like she has some restriction even without a fill but thought it was because there was fat around her stomach.

Finally she gave up after months and asked for the band to be removed. The doc took it out and found she has an infection around her stomach on the outside causing all the swelling and problems with the band.

It was a serious infection and she needed a drain through her nose for days for things to get better.

It finally did and she was ok. Then she wanted a new band but had to wait a min of 3 months. The doc checked her again after 3 months and her stomach still was not perfectly healed because of all the problems the infection caused and the scar tissue etc.

This could be serious and I hope you figure it out.

The last time I could tolerate breakfast was February 26 -- the day before my 2-day preop diet began.

I've never, ever been able to tolerate breakfast since banding.

In fact, I normally can't tolerate food until about 1:30, and generally not after 6 or so.