Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 post op...shake issues

I was banded on Monday 5-23 and I am having major issues with the Protein shakes. I struggled to choke them down before surgery and now just the smell, taste and texture start me dry heaving. I am tired and weak and hungry. I've been ok with Jello and broth but its not enough. I had some scrambled eggs this morning that I chewed really well. No stomach issues. I had a tablespoon of Peanut Butter, no issues and a few noodles from chicken Soup (with broth). Now I think I've screwed everything up. Will I be ok? I tried another shake tonight and again almost threw up. Could not even swallow one mouthful. My nutritionist says only shakes, Jello, broth and popsicles until June 8th. There is no way I can wait that long. If I eat mushy food like cottage cheese, yogurt and smooth Soup will I be ok? I dont want to screw things up and I want to heal, but I'm feeling horrible.

Any advice is appreciated.

I was banded on Monday 5-23 and I am having major issues with the Protein shakes. I struggled to choke them down before surgery and now just the smell, taste and texture start me dry heaving. I am tired and weak and hungry. I've been ok with Jello and broth but its not enough. I had some scrambled eggs this morning that I chewed really well. No stomach issues. I had a tablespoon of Peanut Butter, no issues and a few noodles from chicken Soup (with broth). Now I think I've screwed everything up. Will I be ok? I tried another shake tonight and again almost threw up. Could not even swallow one mouthful. My nutritionist says only shakes, Jello, broth and popsicles until June 8th. There is no way I can wait that long. If I eat mushy food like cottage cheese, yogurt and smooth soup will I be ok? I dont want to screw things up and I want to heal, but I'm feeling horrible.

Any advice is appreciated.

My advice to tell this to your dietition and see if she has any better advice. I am not a doctor, but if you cannot do shakes, what about getting unflavored whey Protein powder and mixing some in Water or flavored water kinda making a drink like special K Protein Water. And eggs are more solid, so maybe try some greek yogurt instead. Or mix unflavored powder with thin cream of wheat. Althoough, I would try to avoid too many carbs. Again, I am not a doctor, but newly banded on 5/20/11. Also what about condensed bean Soups which are really runny and has some protein.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!

I was also banded on the 23rd. Doing OK, but it had gotten a bit harder to comfortably swallow liquids. I had a period of stomach spasms on Wednesday so perhaps caused some swelling. Anyway, to your question...You can try Optipure Protein drink... It's a clear Liquid Protein drink in various flavors, of the two I tried, I like the melon one best. They are not shake like. 40 grams of protein in 20 ounces of Fluid will get you on the way to the protein and liquid quota.

Don't go against the doctor's orders. It sounds like you are hungry because you are not getting enough Protein. Protein fills you up. I agree try the Optipure - I dilute it with some crystal light (1/2 and 1/2) and it goes down fine. Make your Jello with Unjury unflavored protein. You need the proetin in liquid form-your pouch is still healing and I wouldn't suggest pushing it too far with mushies when you are suppose to be on liquids. You CAN do this-it's not forever. I bought Decaf Chia tea and I love it! Call your nutritionist and explain your concerns-also be honest about what you have been eating. Good luck to you!!

Jen, I feel for you. It is difficult being in the post op recovery and also having issues with hunger. I read someplace that egg drop Soup is high in Protein so I decided to try it. My husband bought me some at a local oriental restaurant. We cooled it, skimmed off the fat and I ate the broth minus the eggs. It made me feel like I had some real food. I don't know if it will help you, but maybe it can get you over the hump.

Jen, I feel for you. It is difficult being in the post op recovery and also having issues with hunger. I read someplace that egg drop Soup is high in Protein so I decided to try it. My husband bought me some at a local oriental restaurant. We cooled it, skimmed off the fat and I ate the broth minus the eggs. It made me feel like I had some real food. I don't know if it will help you, but maybe it can get you over the hump.

My hibby offered to get me some egg drop soup too! Haven't tried it yet but it's on my list.

Try making your own shakes. GNC has unflavored Protein Powder. You can add fruit and yogurt with crystal light in a blender. I can't drink the prepared shakes or muscle milk. Another thing to try is freeze some Decaf coffee in an ice cube tray. Mix the rest of the cold coffee with unflavored PP in the blender with a little milk and the sweetener of your choice and blend with the ice cubes you created tastes like a frappacino from Starbucks. Get creative, try using the sugar free flavored syrups. I even added the Protein powder to broth and blended it. Not as good but it works.

Why not try Isporue. It is a liquid Protein drink. It is not thick like a shake and no smell. I really liked grape frost comes in different flavors. I got mine at Vitamine Shoppe. It is 20oz, 160cal, and 40g of Protein. I would sip on that the whole day, a little bit at a time. You need to get your protein right now. Best of luck.

Thanks so much for these responses. I will definitely try the products suggested and call my nutritionist first thing on Tuesday. I was feeling so down last night and feel much better today. Thanks again! I know this is a process and I just have to hang in there. Thanks!

I use the chocolate Premire shakes from costco 30grams of protein.. I add Peanut Butter and a banana and blend with a few ice cubes... I never liked shakes before, but I love it like this.. Try different brands it could be the brand that you do not like.

sigh..im so glad it isn't just me.

Was also banded on 5/23 and am not getting in Protein. I've tried Isopure, Unjury, Myoplex... i'm getting Jay Robb tomorrow to try but this is a never ending battle. And I'm also starving. Haven't stepped too far off the liquid tho. I had cream of potato Soup. Mmmmm. the potatoes were extremely soft and I chewed them very well though. I will slip that way since i'm starving. I stay on the toilet because I have nothing in my stomach. Empty stomach gives me upset stomach. So glad i see my DR on thurs.

You will feel hungry as long as you aren't getting the Protein. It doesn't have to taste good, just do it. You stomach needs to heal and protein is necessary for that. Also you can pull and weaken you stitches eating too early leading to a slip later on. We are eating for entertainment but for nutrition. Once you move on to the later stages then worry about taste but even then, remember, that's how we got into this mess. I now find the healthier foods taste better to me.

Sistersue- its important in the way the taste makes me regurgitate and heave. That is just as important if not more so. So taste is definitely up there in importance.

I agree, if something makes you sick, dry heave or throw up, its not as simple as just putting up with it. I'm not looking for comfort food or something that is delicious so I dont feel deprived. I just want to get the Protein I need so that I heal and keep it down without feeling sick.