Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confusing stomach feelings

Hey guys! I was banded on may 24th after about 3 years of jumping through the insurance hoops I decided to self pay. I have spent hours on this site reading and researching and all I can say is thank god for this site 

So, basicly I have all these different feelings in my stomach and I don't know what they are. I get sharp pains that Hurt really bad that I think are hunger pangs but I'm not sure. It wakes me up from my sleep. Im on a full liquid diet Overall I have alot of discomfort in my stomach period. Tightness. When I breath in deep I feel the tightness. I don't understand what the full feeling is supposed to feel like. I'm afraid to "push it". And often times I'll drink Water and feel like I need to burp but can't. Please help lol

Coley,

I was banded on May 25th. I have been having the same problems with knowing what these feelings are. I have figured out that when I have those sharp pains I go walk as long as I can while holding my stomach because the movement hurts. I sometimes apply a little pressure. After a few minutes of walking the burps start to come. I burp a lot. I try to walk until the burping slows down, but sometimes I dont have the energy to keep walking.

I also had pain today that I was sure was hunger, but the pain med made it go away. So, I guess it's not hunger.

As far as sleeping, I have some heat packs with clay in them from Walmart and I microwave them and go to sleep with them on me everynight. If my husband or I wake up during the night we heat them. These things help me. I hope some of them will help you.

Oh, and the deep breaths you talked about. Be sure you are using your little respiratory thingy so you don't get pneumonia. I have to make sure I have pain meds active before I do that.

Hey guys! I was banded on may 24th after about 3 years of jumping through the insurance hoops I decided to self pay. I have spent hours on this site reading and researching and all I can say is thank god for this site 

So, basicly I have all these different feelings in my stomach and I don't know what they are. I get sharp pains that Hurt really bad that I think are hunger pangs but I'm not sure. It wakes me up from my sleep. Im on a full liquid diet Overall I have alot of discomfort in my stomach period. Tightness. When I breath in deep I feel the tightness. I don't understand what the full feeling is supposed to feel like. I'm afraid to "push it". And often times I'll drink Water and feel like I need to burp but can't. Please help lol

This is totally normal for just after surgery. It will change in a few days. Try not to worry and just know that the stomach tightness and even feeling it when you breathe deeply is normal. If anything changes dramatically or it gets worse - call your surgeon.

No worries! The sharp pain is most likely gas moving around. I had that for about a week. The breathing gets better, I dont know what causes it but I had the same thing. I just did a lot of walking holding a pillow tio help push on my stomach to get the gas out. You should just take the drinking in steps. Small steps. I just yesterday had my first full feeling. I was banded on May 5th!! Right now your stomach is still swollen so you will feel funny. But just remember it will go away!

Good luck!

I was banded May 3. I still have unfamiliar feelings in my stomach. I have progressed from the liquid phase, mushie stage, and now this week my doctor told me I should start eating soft foods. It's with trepidation that I progress to each phase since I don't know what to expect. For me, I make sure that when I try something new, I'm at home so if something were to get stuck, I wouldn't be embarrassed in public. So far, I have found that slow and steady is the way to go! It allows me get comfortable with the new feelings in my stomach. It also allows me to be vigilant to what my stomach is telling me (soft signs, not chewing enough, etc.). Eventually, the new feelings will become the new "normal".

Typically Bandsters get 'odd' sensations from the BIG changes in their digestive plumbing as well as the alteration in the mechanical action by the stomach now unencumbered by being over fed too much of the time. And there will be actual bowel gas changes as other digestive processes begin to alter from what was their 'normal cycle' for so long. Keep reading. Stay hydrated. Unless there is actual physical PAIN there isn't much to worry about. Start a journal. Tape measure yourself and get photographs you can compare months from now. It takes a while to learn that not all stomach/bowel sensations mean it's time to eat. cheers on your journey

Thanks for this discussion. I was also banded on 24 May and am having lots of weird sensations and don't know what to make of them. I am so hungry it's not even funny right now.

Thanks so much for the info I appreciate it 

I too was banded on May 24th, and am having alot of gas, burping and most of all, diahrrea! Yuck! My stomach is making so much noise, everyone nearby can hear it. But it sounds to me like this is all part of the process, so I am not going to worry. But does anybody know when I should be able to get rid of all of this? Thanks for any help.

Usually within 10-14 days gut sounds decrease in volume from 'alarming' to 'muted'. Don't confuse a little belly barking with worrisome clinical issues. And the noisy stomach does NOT mean you are hungry necessarily. If there is actual PAIN consult your doctor. Otherwise, enjoy the symphony. It's temporary.

Drmwith2, I too am starving lol. Each day I get more

Hungry. I'm eating about 600 calories and its tough. My dr wants me to have 70-80 grams of protien by shakes but the shakes are between 100-150 calories with 20grams of protien so it's tough. I can't wait for

Mushies lol 

I was banded on 5/23 and boy am i starving.. I just did a lil cheating i think. lol had cream of potato Soup today from campbells. mushed the potatoes up very well and added Water and boy did it hit the spot. I felt normal for awhile. But I also have the diarrhea daily since i'm not eating and not really getting in the Protein. Can't wait to progress to mushies. My stomach rumbling has become more background noise. Meaning its normal and I pay it no mind. lol but it is weird when i'm around company- they stare at me. lol but this too shall pass.

Good luck everybody!

Hey Coley21, just a thought, but have you tried the Protein Shakes that Bolthouse Farms make? My husband bought me the Protein Plus in chocolate. It tastes pretty good and the entire bottle(32 oz) is 64g of protein. It is 4 servings per bottle at 190 calories. Just a thought for you, also has alot of other Vitamins, minerals, etc. I like it.

Sharflo thank you so much! Where do they sell it?

I was banded on 5/23 and boy am i starving.. I just did a lil cheating i think. lol had cream of potato Soup today from campbells. mushed the potatoes up very well and added Water and boy did it hit the spot. I felt normal for awhile. But I also have the diarrhea daily since i'm not eating and not really getting in the Protein. Can't wait to progress to mushies. My stomach rumbling has become more background noise. Meaning its normal and I pay it no mind. lol but it is weird when i'm around company- they stare at me. lol but this too shall pass.

Good luck everybody!

We were told we could have soup that was cream based with no chunks in it, I bought some of those campbells soup at hand that you just drink from the cup so I don't think you cheated to badly ;-)