Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand,Vs Bypass,Vs Sleeve blah blah

MelissaWI
Sign in to follow this  

They are all tools... If one failed for you it wasn't because it wasn't the right surgery for you... It was because you were not ready to make the lifestyle changes you needed to in order for the tool to do it's job. No matter what surgery we have, we all have rules to live by. Don't follow the rules.. Don't get results... They are all tools that will work! If you do your part. If your stuffing cake, soda, chips down your throat being lazy not working out, whatever. It isn't going to work!!!! You are better off asking for a feeding tube than to keep having these revisions thinking that there going to do anything different than the last surgery did... It's what you put into it.. Yes I can go get bypass and definitely lose the weight. But It will alllllll come back if I don't follow the rules. There is no easy way out for us! We have to come to terms and make a life long commitment to change everything about our lifestyle and eating habits. I support every one of the surgery's there are out there... They all will help you... Pick the one you are comfortable with doing... Don't think one is better than the other or one you don't have to work as hard at.. blah blah.. Sure if you have a sweet tooth... I might consider the ones that cause dumping.. But I should know enough by now, to realize I can't eat that crap anymore if I want to be healthy! In moderation.. ha... I wish it were that easy... I sure as heck wouldn't be where I am today If I had the ability to have that kind of stuff in moderation... That's like telling a ex smoker, just one cigarette every now in then is okay... Yeah maybe for a few times, then it's back to the full blown addiction eventually... food is like drugs... We are addicts.. Oh gosh... I can go on and on.. But.. I just felt like venting a little.. LOL

I appreciate what you said. I was having a little anxiety after I had my lap band (May 24) because my husband was talking to a few ladies that had had the band, and were getting the sleeve because of one problem or the other. But here I was, going into surgery, it was no time to change. So, then I have read a few negative things about the band here on the forum, and frankly got a little nervous. But, like any TOOL, you have to use it properly. They all require us to put work into it. But I like the idea of the reversible and adjustable band, and I am getting more confident every day that I made the right decision. Of course, it hasn't been a full week until tomorrow. But I am doing real good, already back at work, a little weak and uncomfortable, but I managed. Thanks for venting.

Vent away...a lot of us feel like that from time to time ;) . One of the best examples I can give you is a woman in my support group...she had the band but didn't follow the rules and it didn't work for her, now she has the sleeve and guess what? You got it, her weight loss has stopped once again. When we all started asking her questions about what she was eating she admitted that she loves cake and was eating it several times a week! Well, let's see...you aren't going to follow the rules, you are going to eat whatever you want (just smaller quantities) and then you are upset because you aren't losing...hmmm...I wonder what the problem is?:blink:

When I started my journey I was stoked to get the sleeve. It seemed the easy way out (so I thought.) I had it all figured out - I'd have the surgery, lay around, and voila! I'd be skinny.

Reality set in when I learned my insurance wouldn't pay for sleeve surgery. At first I was angry. I didn't WANT the band, I wanted the EASY surgery! (Who knew?) I moped for awhile, then came to my senses, and reluctantly agreed to getting the band.

I had my band surgery, and embraced the way to manage it. I have never looked back. In just under six months I've lost 90 pounds, and I have no reason to think I won't lose the rest of my excess weight. I may have done the same with the sleeve, but in retrospect, the band has turned out to be the better choice for me. I have no regrets.

Dave