Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something just hit me!!!! Will I be able to..

take my prescription pain meds during my two week preop liquid diet and postop? I HAVE to have it or I cannot function due to the arthritis pain. :) Or, will I have to get the rheumatologist to give me a RX for liquid pain meds? :) What about other meds that I take daily? Just curious. Need to start planning now! I am hoping to be able to get off all meds after I lose the weight!:)

I take 5 pills every single day. Only once, when I was far too restricted did I have any problems with it. You'll just have trial and error, but I just make it clear to everyone that I must take my medications on a daily basis.

Thanks ya'll. On Sundays I take 8 methotrexate plus all my other pills (about six or so). I may have to get the doctor to change me to methotrexate injections that I can give myself. I also can split my meds up and take them at different times of the day too, I guess.

For any medication questions, please speak with your doctor and pharmaisist. All we can do is offere what we personally do.

That said, even when I was over filled, I was able to take my meds.

I have arthritis too, and unfortunately you can't take Celebrex or ibuprofen (so my dr. tells me), so please check if you are on either one of these meds for the arthritis.

All of my meds are not extended release types so I chew them and wash em down with some propel.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. methotrexate can cause stomach discomfort

2. methotrexate can cause hairloss. Make sure you get enough Protein because if you don't that can cause hairloss as well

No, I took those several years ago. Actually the only thing I am on for the arthritis is Methotrexate, Darvocet N100 and Skelaxin.

I also take 5 pills a day. I had to stop my Naproxin by doc order's (said it could cause band erosion), but the others , I use a pill crusher and then take with applesause. becuase I have lost over 60 lbs, I really don't miss the Naproxin, my back and knees no longer bother meanywhere near as much.

Thank God I have had absolutely no side effects from the Methotrexate. I have been taking it more than a year and it helps my sacroiliac joints and the other joints tremendously! I have had no Hair loss or stomach problems from it. Now the azulfadine did hurt my stomach...that is what I was on before the rheumy put me on the MTX.

My doc recommeded liquid meds pre and post op and if they were not available I used a pill crusher and mixed it in with applesauc (messy and very bitter). Definately check with your doc & pharmacist but I think that htere are options one way or the other rather than discontinuing any meds...............

Here has been my experience.

I am prescribed one little morphine pill twice a day (60mg a day) that is time released and can not be crushed.

Sometimes depending on tightness (fills) it was too big to go down in the mornings.

I got a patch.. The Patches always fall off, never cover my pain and cost me alot of money cuz they are not covered like the pills are. IF I am tight tight, and desperate, I will put the Patches on in double dose but this has so far been futile and I will never attempt it again.

And I experimented with crushing them.. and found it was fine to releive pent up pain. It sucks for all day pain, but at leaste you can get some releif sometimes (I dont reccommend this, its a BIG no no..and until I was facing the ER, I thought I would never try it..)

Otherwise I would just take one or double up at night..

Now I happen to be open enough to take one in the morning.. I feel it, But I dont choke on it or nothing. BUT I am getting a fill again.

Plus, i took 4 to 6 viccodan a day... I thought I could not live without these and I crushed them like mad, these pills are huge and the powder made is massive and I was often so tight, I couldnt possibly get the powder down be it in liquid or applesauce or ANYTHING.. and after weeks of trying and months of trial and error..

Fact is now I take on average of one a day, usually at night.. I either take nONe or one.. and not every day..

Cant explain it.. JUST dont need them like I thought I did.. NOt willing to crush and go through all that trouble I guess ????

I take valium when I need to sleep.. maybe once a week, only 5mm.. and they are no problem cuz its always at night and they are small and crush well..

prednisone.. I take this when I have things to do and NOTHING can stop me... I dont care how tight I am.. I am never too tight at night, so.. even if I am hyper all night, its worth it since I cant move much unless I have this..

.;............

Metformin.. UM.. 4 HUGE arse pills a day... I gave those up long ago.. my diabetes has never been that bad and well honestly, I COULD take 2 at night and at leaste that would be SOMEthing.. BUt I dont.. I am not saying this is a good thing.

THere.. THATS what I did.. ITS hard.. (FOR ME)

I am a ton more pain but somehow mentally I am able to handle the pain better cuz I know I am on the road to recovery.. (i get fusions in my back after I lose 100 pounds)

Bandayed...I go to the rheumy in Feb and will talk to her about liquid meds and injectable methotrexate. Thanks.

Nykee...wow! Bless your heart! I take Metformin too...one pill twice a day and Avandia. I couldn't take the Avandamet...gave me terrible diarrhea but the two separate meds don't....go figure!