Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Surgery Date, SCARED

I have been wanting to do this surgery for a couple of years now, going to a couple of different seminars and even changing insurances to be able to get approved. I have just had my appointment with Dr. Boutt at Port Huron Hospital in Michigan, and have now had a surgery date scheduled of March 12th, I was completely ecstatic!! I am on my way... I now have my good friends really scaring me. Telling me how dangerous this is and don't I want to see my 6 year old grow up, and I could die... and the complications are risky. You know they have really made me start thinking I should reconsider.. I just was looking for some support I guess that is why I am here! And I am rambling at this point.... Anyway, anyone have any words of encouragement? Or any words of discouragement??

The chances of you dying by not having the surgery is greater than you dying having the surgery. If you are overweight, you have a higher risk for complications later. I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes, I have been off my medication since I have had the surgery. 26 is young to live the rest of my life with diabetes and on meds. Your family and friends should stand behind your decision no matter what. It is your life, not theirs. Are you sure they are talking about the lap band and not the gastric bypass or the other surgeries? Explain to them in full detail how the surgery works, that your body absorbs all the food that you take in, it does not just go through you. If you do have problems with the band remember it is a completely reversible procedure. After you explain everything to them let them know that you don't want to hear anything negative that you have made up your mind. Best of luck to you and I hope that you do go ahead with the surgery. Don't get discouarged the light at the end of the tunnel is now closer to you than it was a month ago!!! Keep your head high and know that what ever you chose your family and friends should back you all the way; after all if you can't count on them who else do you have? US!!! Lapbandtalk.com......Just keep smiling...Just keep smiling....Just keep smiling....(If you have seen Finding Nemo)!!!

Thanks Kelly! These words really mean alot to me!! I have just been so excited! I an only 35 and have been overweight most of my life, and with a BMI of almost 41, and have had tried neary everything to lose weight, this just seems to be "the one" that will work. Yes, I am sure it is the LapBand that my friends are worried about. One of my friends mothers is a nurse and she has just sent me an article about the man that died in Boston, the one that had the heart attack on the table. But whos to say if he was just getting his foot or hand or knee operated on the same thing would not of happened??? Anyway, I will keep smiling, and keep looking for support where I can get it!! Thanks again!!!:)

That one...I read it to and it had nothing to do with the Lap band surgery. It had to do with the anesthesiologist not giving enough of the good drugs:) You are right if he would have been having any other surgery the same thing could have happened. Just email her and tell her one day you will be skinny and then smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Complications are possible with any surgery, but the lap-band was designed to be much, much safer than the gastric bypass. That sad story about the poor man who died of a heart attack made the news because it was a very unusual occurance. There are many people who die from gastric bypass that never make the news. :)

I am another Port Huron bandster. I think Dr. Boutt and Dr. Bhesania are both excellent, very experienced lap-band surgeons. You'll be in good hands.

Regarding the issue of being around for your child, well, your losing the weight will probably be a good thing for your child as well. After this surgery, you'll probably have more energy to be able to spend quality time with your kid!

Good luck to you. :D

Far more people die every year from germs they picked up in the hospital than from LapBand surgery.

If you are morbidly obese, the LapBand is a life-saving venture. You can't even say that most hysterectomies are for life-saving purposes...and I'll bet a greater percentage of those patients die than LapBand patients.

I wonder how many morbidly obese people who did not have surgery died the same day as the man who did have the surgery.

Sue

Well you are right...I had a hysterectomy in 2002 at the age of 33 and It was a necessary procedure for me, but I wouldn't say a "life saving" one. Definatley LapBand could be potentially life saving for me as I am 5'7" and 260 lbs with a BMI of 40.8, I am morbidly obese. Thanks for the post, all have been very helpful!!

;-)

I just want to mention this. If you go thru with the surgery and I presume that you won't have complications worse enough to die.... 6 months from now you will be looking back at this and say to yourself that it was the best thing you ever did for yourself.....

had to reply to this one. everyone says the same thing Leo just did that it is a miracle or the best thing they ever did for themself so I just keep my fingers crossed and pray ... good luck. ps. it all varies but I had more pain from my iv then from the cuts. also i just wanted to clarify. i had no pain from the cuts and they are healing great. the iv situation is just 'cause I have teeny veins and am very sensitive so the vein bruised but it was no biggy. eveyone on the forum was soooo supportive and said how the procedure is really no sweat. at least for me it was no sweat and I am very grateful for that, a great surgeon and for all the wonderful people in this support group!

Originally posted by glitz99

. ps. it all varies but I had more pain from my iv then from the cuts.

Same for me, I was more scared of the IV sticking in my hand then the actualy surgery :)

I too was scared when I started to research this procedure. But since I had tried everything to lose weight and failed, I felt I had to try this as my final attempt.

I made the support happen. First off I only told my immediate family, not even my brother-in-laws know that I have the band. Why? Because I have seen them ridicule others fighting the battle of the buldge and I knew that they (both being naturally thin) would not understand. I even told my sisters and they are considering the band. Now after having the band since August, I have lost 40 lbs. and I hear them make comments to my sisters that they should control themselves like I do. It's sad and I feel bad but I am not sorry to have the band. I am not sorry that I fit into my little 16 year old nieces jeans!

You have to know in your heart and make that decision for you. If you know some people are not going to be supportive then don't tell them.

You will have ups and downs with the band. May be you will experience PB (in case you don't know, that's when something blocks the opening to your stomach and you throw up). At those times the last thing you need is for someone to say "I told you not to do this......".

You will always find support here. So write to us if you want support or need to vent:D

Good Luck

Mary

--------------

Banded 8/7/2003

197/150/140

Dawnsunshine,

I didn't tell anyone except my husband, mom and 3 friends that I was having surgery and I made them all keep quiet. When I make a decision, nobody is going to change my mind. Especially something I've wanted so bad for so long. I didn't want anyone saying unsupportive things that would make me worry. So what THEY don't know won't hurt ME!

The next time someone says that somebody died from having that surgery, ask them how many people die in car/ airplane/ pedestrian accidents? Do they stop going places because they could potentially get killed? Probably not. Do what you have to do to be happy and you won't regret it.

Wow! All great advice and information from everyone!! I originally only told my husband, who is scared, but is very supportive of my decision, and my mother, who also is very supportive.....one of my very good friends, who is on her last attempt in counting calories and watching what she eats before she goes for the banding. Some how my mother-in-law found out, and another one of my friends, who are very against the surgery, and yes they scared me. But I have just come back from having my "behavioral assesment" and I am very upbeat and more confindent than ever that I want to do this for myself, and my family!! I now have to just wait for the insurance approval (fingers crossed on that one) and my date of March 12th!!!!

This forum has been great! And everyone on here! Thanks!!:laugh

I know exactly what you are going through. I was banded 1/13/04 and I also have a 6 yr old. (4 kids-6m,12m,14m,20f)

I was as scared as I was excited. Now only 4 days post-op I'm thrilled. I plan on enjoying the Water rides instead of watching. I can't wait for the energy to truly care for my family. It's normal to run the gammit of emotions, we all know the risks of surgery. I told very few folks for that same reason. Good luck and congrats on your date.........wooooohoooooo

congrats to you on your surgery!! Makes me less scared now that you have said only 4 days post op and you are thrilled!!! I can't wait!!! Good Luck with all! I also can't wait to enjoy the Water rides instead of watching on!! All the best to you! :)