Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not as cut and dry as it sounds...

Hi all. I was banded on Tuesday, May 24th. The post-op diet has thrown me for a loop. I make my protien shakes but feel so bloated after I drink them. (3 oz.). I have no fill in my band but think I feel a little restriction...who knows?!?! This post op diet sounded so simple but I am just not able to get it all down! I want to get my Protein in first and foremost. I am really nervous that I am not doing this correctly. Ugh!!! Suggestions?!?!?

Just banded 3 days ago you are probably still swollen from surgery, that's why you are feeling bloated on 3oz.

In my post-op instructions it says specifically that we might not be able to get all the fluids recommended in right away. To keep working at it and sip, sip, sip.

I didn't really focus on Protein myself. I figured I was going to be on a restricted diet such a short time anyhow.. I just used canned Soups whirled in the blender. If Protein drinks are the way you want to go.. ok.

In a few more days the swelling will go down and you'll be wondering if you have a band at all. ::grin:: It's there, just be patient, it will all get easier. :)

You can always call your surgeon's office for help and suggestions.

ummmmmmmmm to my knowledge u suppose ti drink clear liquid this 1st week after... Jello, broth, Water, etc.....

I just had to do Clear liquids a day and then could do any liquids and week 2 mushies. All dr's have different instructions.

You are just out of surgery, the first week is tough. More important than protien is Water, you do not want to get dehydrated. I don't think anyone get's the 60g of protien the first week or two.

Get some fluids in you!!!

Good Luck to you!

I was banded two weeks ago, and today is my first day of mushie food, yeh. Anyway, for the first two weeks I was told Clear Liquids, but you should be getting all your Protein. that will keep you from feeling hungery. For me In the morning I would make a Protein Shake, I was allowed skim milk, I would make 8oz 190cal, 20grams protein, and that would take me sometimes 3hours to drink. Then I brought Isopure it is a clear Protein Drink, 20oz, 160cal. 40grams of protien, and I would sip on that all day in betweem my Water. If I felt a little hungery I would have a few teaspoons Jello or 4oz of broth. I have to tell you I was not really hungery at all. But make sure you get your protien. I was told by my doctor it is not about calories right now but your protein. Best of luck.

Hi Tracie,

I was also banded on the 24th and am having trouble getting everything down. I had to call my Dr today because I'm unable to take in anything other than my sf popsicles and Water. (Crystal light, Decaf tea, and Jello are not going down). They just said to focus on getting your 64oz of fluids and prescribed something for nausea. The bloating can be from the gas, and they just recommended walking around for that. Then again, I don't think I'm feeling as well as most banders were by this time and think I'm having it a little more rough than most. Just focus on your liquids right now if you can't get your shakes down.

Hi all. I was banded on Tuesday, May 24th. The post-op diet has thrown me for a loop. I make my protien shakes but feel so bloated after I drink them. (3 oz.). I have no fill in my band but think I feel a little restriction...who knows?!?! This post op diet sounded so simple but I am just not able to get it all down! I want to get my Protein in first and foremost. I am really nervous that I am not doing this correctly. Ugh!!! Suggestions?!?!?

ummmmmmmmm to my knowledge u suppose ti drink clear liquid this 1st week after... Jello, broth, Water, etc.....

Every doctor is different and each patient should follow their doctor's directions. Mine was clear liquids for one day only. :)

Thanks everyone. I worry about the protien the most due to the Hair loss. I went through that once and NEVER want to do it again.

My post op diet (as of yesterday) is 3 small meals (cream of wheat, yogurt, fat free pudding made w/sk milk or low fat stained creamed soups) and 3 each 3 oz protien shakes which include skim milk. I am no where close to eating a fraction of this.

Anyone know of any good protien Water mixes...I cannot get the Special K20 in my area.

Thanks again for the advice. My mind is just going crazy worrying about all of this stuff!

Thanks everyone. I worry about the protien the most due to the hair loss. I went through that once and NEVER want to do it again.

My post op diet (as of yesterday) is 3 small meals (cream of wheat, yogurt, fat free pudding made w/sk milk or low fat stained creamed soups) and 3 each 3 oz protien shakes which include skim milk. I am no where close to eating a fraction of this.

Anyone know of any good protien Water mixes...I cannot get the Special K20 in my area.

Thanks again for the advice. My mind is just going crazy worrying about all of this stuff!

wow.. was banded 5/23 and look forward to the day i can move to mushees.. cream of wheat, grits, pudding, yogurt... mmmm. lol this clear liquids are kicking my ass! And unfortunately i have not been able to get down the Protein shakes. I just can not find any that don't make me wanna hurl. excuse my french. I'm trying powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury all flavors, i bought the sample pack, Myoplex choc. fudge, anywhey Protein, supposedly tasteless and none of em are working for me. *sigh* I so don't want my hair to fall out and my stomach is so upset since I'm just on liquids. I don't know what else I can do.

I was banded yesterday. I had to stay overnight do to insurance/hospital rules...and what they gave me for supper last night was sf popsicle, Jello, tea, milk. and lemonade crystal light. I ate the popsicle, two bites of the Jello and about half the crystal light. According to my post op meals list from the doc..my meals should be 3 meals of 2-4 ounces of Protein shake (I like the Bariactric Advantage Banana) and my Fluid intake needs to b 48-64 ounces and this is for days 1-5.

hang in there!

wow.. was banded 5/23 and look forward to the day i can move to mushees.. cream of wheat, grits, pudding, yogurt... mmmm. lol this Clear liquids are kicking my ass! And unfortunately i have not been able to get down the Protein shakes. I just can not find any that don't make me wanna hurl. excuse my french. I'm trying powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury all flavors, i bought the sample pack, Myoplex choc. fudge, anywhey Protein, supposedly tasteless and none of em are working for me. *sigh* I so don't want my hair to fall out and my stomach is so upset since I'm just on liquids. I don't know what else I can do.

I remember having a dream about pureed chicken salad in the second week of clear liquids. I almost cried when my doc said I could go to mushies 2 days early.

wow.. was banded 5/23 and look forward to the day i can move to mushees.. cream of wheat, grits, pudding, yogurt... mmmm. lol this clear liquids are kicking my ass! And unfortunately i have not been able to get down the Protein shakes. I just can not find any that don't make me wanna hurl. excuse my french. I'm trying unjury all flavors, i bought the sample pack, Myoplex choc. fudge, anywhey Protein, supposedly tasteless and none of em are working for me. *sigh* I so don't want my hair to fall out and my stomach is so upset since I'm just on liquids. I don't know what else I can do.

Look into the Syntrax Nectars. They are mainly fruit flavored and I like them lots better than others. I use crystal light or Powerade zero to mix them with, but other people use Water or even put greek yogurt in them.

If you'll go to the companies website www.si03.com and email or call them, they will send you samples for a very low price (about 1.00 per flavor). Make sure you specify the NECTARS as Syntrax makes many protein mixes and not all are good for weight loss.

If you like them, you can order them from Netrition.com which is the best prices I've found and flat rate shipping.

For read to drink's.. try EAS Carbadvantage.. I get it VERY cold, then pour in a glass and add a little s/f DaVinci or s/f Torani Syrup. Or Muscle Milk LIGHT in the vanilla Creme is good without adding extra. Again, very very cold is best. MM Light also comes in chocolate, but I think it tastes funky.. YMMV. Make sure you're getting the LIGHT.. the regular is too caloric for our use.

A lot of people like Click.. but it's not for me.

If you'll look through lapband talk, you'll find lots of threads about Protein drinks with suggestions of what people like. It's a good idea to get samples when available.

Hope this helps.

I am day 2 post op and sti;; feel really sore and bloated. I haven't gotten all the Protein in-but I am working on the water-but struggling. I took my vitiams so at least I am getting something healthy in me. My first post op apointment is next Thurs. so I'll see how I feel then. I am on clear liquids except for the Protein Shakes (4oz - 4 times a day-so it's a lot less than regular)/ This to shall pass!!

wow.. was banded 5/23 and look forward to the day i can move to mushees.. cream of wheat, grits, pudding, yogurt... mmmm. lol this clear liquids are kicking my ass! And unfortunately i have not been able to get down the Protein shakes. I just can not find any that don't make me wanna hurl. excuse my french. I'm trying unjury all flavors, i bought the sample pack, Myoplex choc. fudge, anywhey Protein, supposedly tasteless and none of em are working for me. *sigh* I so don't want my hair to fall out and my stomach is so upset since I'm just on liquids. I don't know what else I can do.

Carnation instant breakfest no sugar added (in the blue box) has 7 grams of protein, I mix on packet with my scoop of GNC double chocolate whey protein (24 grams of protein), put in freezer for 10 minutes and it's great!!! Litteraly, in five or so ounces I have just got down 31 grams of protein, only two shakes a day and I've made my doctor proud.

(this was suggested by my nutritionist by the way)