Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hours after first fill

I had my first fill today at about noon. It's now almost 5pm and I'm still feeling a little uncomfortable. The visit itself was very quick, easy and painless. He put in 4cc. He told me that my first meal should be liquid. When I got to my car approximately 10 minutes later, I took a drink of Water and it felt like I swallowed air and it all pretty much came right back up. I'm feeling the same way as if I had just had the operation to get the band in. I'm burping a lot. I tried sipping on some chicken broth and Water and it's all come back up. I defintely don't feel hungry, but I also don't feel nourished. If that makes any sense. Also, everything that's coming up is very mucousy (sp?).

I've lost 2 lbs since the dr visit. Is this normal for some of you?

You are way too tight - go back asap for an unfill. Get at least 3 cc taken out. Tell your Dr you want to drink a glass of Water in the office while the needle is in so he can take more out if necessary.

If you don't go in for an unfill immediately you're risking having your band slip.

A note - my first and second fills were 1.5 and 1 cc respectively and with the 1 cc fill I was too full, vomiting almost daily. Took out the 1 cc yesterday and doing much better, I can actually eat.

In a month I'll go back and have 0.5 cc put in.

Your Dr. never should have put 4 cc in without having you drink something after to ensure you could drink the whole thing. And not just a sip - a good 1/2 c.

Yikes! Now I'm scared! I'll give the office a call, I'm pretty sure they're closed now. Is this something I should be concerned about immediately or is it okay to wait till morning?

If you can keep any Fluid down then you can wait until morning. Try something hot like a sip of hot tea.

If you can't keep anything down (including your saliva) then you need to go to the ER.

If you can keep any Fluid down then you can wait until morning. Try something hot like a sip of hot tea.

If you can't keep anything down (including your saliva) then you need to go to the ER.

I did get a hold of my Dr. He said I can wait it out until the morning then go see him, or I can head to the ER if it gets worse. Here's an example...it's kinda gross. I took a sip of orange juice, it came up quickly looking like egg yolk. So yes, I'm having trouble keeping down my saliva. My Dr. and the hospital are 45 minutes away. I want to go, but we have a tornado warning amongst other things. Bad weather all around. I think I might wait until the morning. Thank you so much for responding.

I just went through all the tornado warnings so I totally understand. Just be careful tonight and get in first thing in the AM. You may need to insist that your Dr do your fills slowly - 1 cc at at time.

If I had a 5 cc fill I would have been completely restricted and would have been at the ER. For me 2.5 cc had me almost totally restricted to the point of not being able to swallow saliva.

Slower is better, remember - an unfill generally costs the same as a fill so you're better to get fills slow than go through being too tight then needing a total unfill. I speak from experience, being too full is horrendous. You feel like crap every day.

Hi

I had my first fill today too @ 4:00 pm. My dr put in 4 cc and then I had a drink of Water and did just fine. My dr even told me to come home and eat something to make sure I can keep it down and I did just that and I was fine.

Sorry your first fill didn't go smoothly for you. I hope you can get it fixed tomorrow. I hope your weather clears up too :)

Good luck.

Oh gosh, how scary. I hope you had an okay night last night, and are in the doctor's office getting it fixed right now!

I had a large first fill also, but my doctor has me take a drink of Water with every half cc or so until the Water hangs up and I'm over filled. Then he backs off 1/10th cc at a time until the water passes freely again. Once it does, he takes out another 1/10th. I don't know... it's a whole big process.

That's a good process Spot.

Mine will put in between 0.5-1.5 cc and make you drink before you leave the office.

With my unfill I had a barium swallow so we could see if there were any issues with the band since I vomited a lot when I was tight and everything looked perfect. It was very odd to see my pouch, it hadn't stretched at all and the band was in its original placement. It's kind of cool to watch Fluid go through there.

My next fill will be around June 23 and will only be 0.5 cc since 1 cc had me eating only 1-2 Tbsp of solid food at a time.

With a 1 cc reduction I'm currently at 3.5 in a 10 cc band and can eat 1-2 cups of food at a time (depending on the food). Based on my previous experience my practitioner and I both think that 0.5 will be the perfect fill.

It's definitely a learning experience, you may not know you're in your green zone until you've passed it. But once you pass it - you know.

imtoxic: I hope your unfill went well.

You were definitely too tight!!!! That happened to me on my first fill too. I had to go back and get 2 c.c's out immediately. After my fills I normally drink some warm tea or broth with Protein Powder. Because I have been tight before and it was horrible experience. The tea normally helps a great deal. Good luck to you. and God bless. Dee

That happened to me on my first fill but it was because i was swollen after the fill. It went down after a few days but I had to take small bites and swallows of liquid and be very mindful of sizes of bites. I am fine now. I was not used to any restriction!

I had my first fill today at about noon. It's now almost 5pm and I'm still feeling a little uncomfortable. The visit itself was very quick, easy and painless. He put in 4cc. He told me that my first meal should be liquid. When I got to my car approximately 10 minutes later, I took a drink of Water and it felt like I swallowed air and it all pretty much came right back up. I'm feeling the same way as if I had just had the operation to get the band in. I'm burping a lot. I tried sipping on some chicken broth and Water and it's all come back up. I defintely don't feel hungry, but I also don't feel nourished. If that makes any sense. Also, everything that's coming up is very mucousy (sp?).

I've lost 2 lbs since the dr visit. Is this normal for some of you?

how are you feeling today?

Hi everyone. My dr had me come in early the next morning. He took out 2.5cc. He had me drink Water before I left and so far, so good. I immediately felt better after the unfill. He told me that we will start over, smaller though he didn't take it all out. I feel a little restriction but at least now I can drink Water and keep it down. Thank you all for the responses.

I feel great!

Great to hear!