Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone with omnipaque

ok so ive had my band around 3yrs and have lost 30lbs and then got prego so now my weight lost is back to 0lbs. i dont i ever got a "good" fill. i would get a fill and then go back for a check up and it was gone or just alittle was left, so i was blaming the fill doctors, and went to alot of them(fill centers usa). i finally talk to my doctor in Mexico and he gave me the name of a really good fill doctor at Wellspring Procedures in texas, it was 7hr ride from new orleans but well worth it she told me i was sweating the Fluid out of my band so she put OMNIPAQUE in and told me if i sweat this out she would be in shock.OMNIPAQUE is also used as a fix a flat to seal any leaks and can be seen under floro. i have a 4cc band with 2.9cc of omnipaque. does anyone have omnipaque? can you drink ice cold drinks?(i cant)

Umm, I think you are confused. Omnipaque is a radiodense contrast material. They use it to highlight things. Mainly I've seen it used for myelograms, they inject it into the epidural space to see where a spinal compression is. The only use I can see it having with the band is it will show up on x-ray, so I guess they can see if it is leaking. I can't imagine it could fix a leak, since it is a liquid and dies not expand or anything, only to detect one.

There is no way to "sweat" out a fill, only if there is a leak

I too have omnipaque. Yes I said omnipaque. It is thicker than saline so should not leak. I have had it since first fill. Not too many people have it. But My Surgeon is the one who fills me and he says it is very safe. I have had no problems.

Cheri

I too have omnipaque. Yes I said omnipaque. It is thicker than saline so should not leak. I have had it since first fill. Not too many people have it. But My Surgeon is the one who fills me and he says it is very safe. I have had no problems.

Cheri

[/quote

Okay I need a fill and Dr Spivak has moved and nobody else uses omnipaque what will happen if they add saline to the omnipaque How will I feel if they take out the omnipaque and replace with saline? So confused what to do

Cheri

Omnipaque used to be the norm for adjusting the Swedish AGB which is now the Realize band... and yes there is a chance for your band to lose Fluid over time without your having a leak at all. Because omnipaque is a thicker, more viscous substance, it is often used in those cases to keep the band inflated without it continually or eventually losing it's Fluid.< /p>

I'm not suprised that you haven't had this substance in your band, (as far as i remember as it may have changed in the past few years since I have been out of the business) as it is not approved for long term use in a band and will actually void the manufacturers warranty if not flushed out directly after leak detection under fluoroscopy.

That said, it is not uncommon for fluids such as omnipaque to be used to adjust the band, but it is uncommon in the USA.

And Cheri, adding saline to the band which has been previously adjusted with omnipaque will only make the solution a tiny bit less viscous. If you prefer it stay in there, just tell them.

Thank! for the information. I found a Dr who will continue to fill me with the omnipaque. Do you think the way my band feels would change If I had the omnipaque removed and replaced with saline? At one of Dr Spivak's support group meetings a friend who was banded by other Dr voiced her concern about me having omnipaque and Dr Spivak said there was no problem having it but I could come in and he would remove it and replace with saline if I would be more comfortable. But I like things the way they are and do not want to mess with the band too much.

Cheri

Thank! for the information. I found a Dr who will continue to fill me with the omnipaque. Do you think the way my band feels would change If I had the omnipaque removed and replaced with saline? At one of Dr Spivak's support group meetings a friend who was banded by other Dr voiced her concern about me having omnipaque and Dr Spivak said there was no problem having it but I could come in and he would remove it and replace with saline if I would be more comfortable. But I like things the way they are and do not want to mess with the band too much.

Cheri

If you can detect a change in feeling between the two liquids in question, it won't be substantial. Good luck.