Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

College - More of a plus size Q than lap band Q.

I know this is not really a Lap Band question, but who else can I ask?! I'm going back to college next month and I am a big girl (hence getting the Lap Band this summer). I am terrified it'll be those little desks that are attached to the chairs and I'm not going to fit! What if I don't fit at whatever desk they have? What if I'm the oldest biggest person in class?! :unsure:

Well, it might be... it depends on every school. How much do you weigh? At 250 in college I was able to fit in the chairs with the desks attached.

Sometimes they'll have a random loose chair and table. Maybe if you get there pretty early, you can scout it out. I KNOW this fear! It sucks!

I know this is not really a Lap Band question, but who else can I ask?! I'm going back to college next month and I am a big girl (hence getting the Lap Band this summer). I am terrified it'll be those little desks that are attached to the chairs and I'm not going to fit! What if I don't fit at whatever desk they have? What if I'm the oldest biggest person in class?! :unsure:

Breathe it's going to be ok. My college is a fairly new modern building and they have individual chairs at long tables so maybe that is what your college has. I also went back to college a year ago I don't know how old you are but I'm 33 and usually in the middle of the age range for my classes. I've noticed that most older college folks take evening classes so that may be something you want to look at. I would definitely scout out some of the classrooms before hand. Good luck you have a life changing time ahead of you!!!

I started to college after I retired, so I have some experience being the oldest in a class. Enjoy it! I found the instructors and the students to be very supportive. Having more life experience actually gave me an advantage with some of the subjects, but on the other hand, I found I could no longer memorize as well as I had 40+ years ago.

I was about 250 lbs and I had no problem fitting into anything. At my college we mostly had tables and chairs. The only bad experience I had was a hike in the pouring rain, with my geology class where I was the slowest person. It was not easy, but one of the other students (19 years old, and also overweight) and the instructor walked back with me.

My advice is to enjoy your college experience. It is so rewarding. BTW - it's fun to be driving with my husband through town and have a friend from college honk and wave.

Oh, yes - one more thing . . . I took a swing dance class to satisfy my last PE credit. I was the oldest and heaviest person in the class. It was fine. I teased some of the younger guys that they would be able to dance at their weddings with their grandmas.

That's one of the reasons that I looked into Lap Band in the first place. I could never fit into those chairs. Oh, it was so embarrassing! All the girls were tiny, and I felt HUGE compared to everyone. I felt like everyone was staring at me and thinking things in their heads. I used to scope out the classroom days before class started to peek into the windows to see what chairs they had. In fact, I sometimes I wouldn't even take classes because they were only offered in those classrooms. However, at 290+ I was able to fit in them...I was just uncomfortable. I think you'll be fine, but man...that brings back some bad memories. Just remember - college is important. If I had it over, I wouldn't be so embarrassed. I am who I am, and I shouldn't be ashamed of who I am. Never be ashamed...everyone's beautiful on the inside and out.

What I did was find my instructor's email and email and explain my dilemma. They would make sure that a desk (or two) for a large sized person was in the room.

Enjoy college.. it's great!!

I was between 220 and 290 all through college, and never had an issue. I often wasnt even the heaviest person.

I was in college when I was 230lbs. and Pregnant, and I still fit into those desks. You should be okay.

And kudos to you going back to college. You won't regret it!

I never had a problem, it not as bad as it looks :)

We're not as Enlightened downunder! I think that about the same proportion of our population is overweight or obese as the in the US, but its much more unusual to see super obese people with BMI's well over 40. We cater to bigger people more so than we did when I was in my teens (when I was an Australian 16, that's about a US 12 to 14 and I couldnt buy jeans to fit me, they just didnt make em that big) but at 245lb and a BMI of 35, I couldnt fit into those desks when I went back to university to do a Bachelor of Education at age 35. Luckily, I learn by listening, I have never taken notes in a lecture in my life, so I just sat with the desk up. I fit in the seat OK, but the desk would be wedged against my stomach. I'm 5ft 10 too, so at a BMI of 35, I was hardly a round barrell with an enormous stomach, I was just a big person. As I lost weight it was a major victory to sit comfortably in those desks. Nowadays of course, there's heaps of space between my stomach and the desk, you'll get there too. I didnt make a big deal of it, just sat down and didnt pull the desk, dont think anyone would ever have noticed that it didnt fit me.

I earned my master's degree at the ripe old age of 53, and with 290 lbs. on a 5'2" frame. Being the oldest in EVERY class was sometimes daunting, but as each class progressed, the younger students were more and more interested in my point of view. Now, about those desks.....every room had at least one desk with a separate chair, and most people were courteous enough to let the biggest person in the class (me) sit there. I definitely did not fit into the chairs with attached desks. I could squeeze into it, but immediately felt nauseated and painful and had to try to wedge myself out of it (after I had swollen some). Once, when there was no separate desk in the room, I went to the administration building to request one, and the disabilities office had one moved into the room for me.

Now that I've lost almost 80 pounds, I've got this evil desire to drive to the college, walk into an empty classroom and just sit in one of those chairs to prove to myself I can now do it!

I had a problem in the lecture rooms, the ones with the stadium seats. I went to the counseling office about it, and they had a table and chairs moved into the front of the lecture halls I attended. Most people seem to want to sit more to the back of a room, so I never had trouble finding a seat at a table. You will figure it out and it will be fine. Good luck!

I was around 300 lb when I went to college. I am 5'2" so I was quite large and it was a little tight but I fit in the desks.