Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips & Tricks for Chewing More, Slowing Down

Hi Everyone,

Maybe I can be direct to some other posts on the topic. I have a tendency when I am tired, physically or mentally, to not chew my food enough. I seem to eat quickly in those states, and food gets stuck more often.

I try and watch my food choices, and stick with softer, well cooked options, so I don't think it's so much food choice, as catching myself in those initial bites of food that are too fast. The stuck feels hits quick and hard, sometimes after only a couple small pieces of food.

I wonder emotionally if being tired makes me more anxious (It does, often...) and therefore my stomach is a little less forgiving.

I have read some advice in other posts about prepping the stomach with some hot tea, or a Protein shake, or some juice before eating. I will try those.

I was just wondering if anyone had any other tips or tricks, especially in reminding yourself to chew when tired, distracted, or anxious.

Thanks!

Have you tried cutting your food into smaller bites and putting down your fork and knife while you chew? I've been known to count chews, too.

I agree. My mother in law did the lapband as well as my sister in law and they both were hugely successful in losing weight. I watch as they cut their food in small pieces on their plates. They choose how much they're going to eat ahead of time, cut it up small and then chew slowly. I plan on doing the same thing when i move from mushies into full food.< /p>

I do find myself having food dreams, though! lol

If I am really tired I sometimes put the meat in a blender to grind it up. I usually do this with beef or chicken. With the beef I add a little taco seasoning and cheese and with the chicken fat free mayo and dill relish. Otherwise I get stuck. If I'm not tired then I cut it all up really small, put my fork down between bites and if I feel something I get up and walk a bit.

I need to get this down as well. Just had my first fill and am not looking foward to eating tomorrow. I still have issues with drinking while eating also. Im such a bad bandster. ;)

I need to get this down as well. Just had my first fill and am not looking foward to eating tomorrow. I still have issues with drinking while eating also. Im such a bad bandster. ;)

Great tips! It's hard... I call it the "New Eating Paradigm" and I am still working on it six months out from surgery, and one fill into the process.

I have a tendency to lean towards getting out the blender for meats. I already love Protein shakes to no end, so, me and the blender are great friends. I just still feel weird when my wife and I try to cook and eat a meal together, and I want to enjoy the food whole rather than sit there and drink a weird looking, but good tasting blend...

I've tried to cut things into smaller bits, and really don't have too many problems on good nights. Work has been tough lately, and I have been coming home feeling like a zombie, and there's where things get lost.

I was thinking about trying to get home when I am like that, have a Protein shake, let that settle and take care of any emotional cravings, and then try to cook and eat a little. That's just a long process, especially when I get home later in the evening...

I don't know... Just thinking... And trying.

Great tips! It's hard... I call it the "New Eating Paradigm" and I am still working on it six months out from surgery, and one fill into the process.

I have a tendency to lean towards getting out the blender for meats. I already love Protein shakes to no end, so, me and the blender are great friends. I just still feel weird when my wife and I try to cook and eat a meal together, and I want to enjoy the food whole rather than sit there and drink a weird looking, but good tasting blend...

I've tried to cut things into smaller bits, and really don't have too many problems on good nights. Work has been tough lately, and I have been coming home feeling like a zombie, and there's where things get lost.

I was thinking about trying to get home when I am like that, have a Protein shake, let that settle and take care of any emotional cravings, and then try to cook and eat a little. That's just a long process, especially when I get home later in the evening...

STRESS FROM WORK/LIFE TIRED EMOTIONS CAN PLAY HAVOC WITH THE STOMACH.SOMETIMES YOU CAN DO IT RIGHT BUT THE STRESSORS CAN MAKE YOU DO THAT.SO THAT MAKES THIS A DAILY JOURNEY.I HAVE HAD MY Fluid TOTALLY REMOVED FOR ALMOST 6 WKS.AND HAVE NOTIVED THE LAST WEEK WITH ALL THE STRESSORSOF JOB CHANGE , FAMILY ISSUES,HOLIDAY PLANS OF HAVING ALL MY FAMILY COMING TO MY HOUSE AND DOING EVERYTHING ALONE THAT MY GERD HAS BEEN ACTING UP. INCREASE BELCHING WITH NO Fluid.< /p>

I can totally relate to the stress/tired factor on some days. I never begin a meal without first cutting up my food into dime sized bites. Some days I find myself counting chews like I used to when first banded 10 months ago. On really tight evenings, if I find that food is not going down well, I will put my plate away and try something hot first and then go back to the food. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and those are the nights I call it a bust and just pack it for my lunch for the next day. My doc is not a stickler for absolutely having to have 3 meals a day and it doesn't happen all the time. Really when I think about it, those are usually the days when I am not really hungry anyway.

I have also found that on days when I am really hungry when I get home I will snack on some raw veggies before I sit for my meal and that helps me keep the bites small and slow... I am a cucumber FREAK!! :D and those slices of cucumber really help with my cravings for things crunchy (i.e. chips)...

Good Luck to you!

oh man! dlynn, you sound just like me! sometimes, i just get so upset about it. Now, I chalk it up to dehydration, then acid reflux. I've noticed my esophagus does not like particular foods and beer that I used to love... it's been sad. :( and it hurts. lol if I'm hydrated properly, all is fine. :) Drink your Water and lots of it!

oh man! dlynn, you sound just like me! sometimes, i just get so upset about it. Now, I chalk it up to dehydration, then acid reflux. I've noticed my esophagus does not like particular foods and beer that I used to love... it's been sad. :( and it hurts. lol if I'm hydrated properly, all is fine. :) Drink your Water and lots of it!

I to miss beer deary :( Tried to drink one a couple of months back & half way thru I felt like I had ate a loaf of bread!

Hi Everyone,

Maybe I can be direct to some other posts on the topic. I have a tendency when I am tired, physically or mentally, to not chew my food enough. I seem to eat quickly in those states, and food gets stuck more often.

I try and watch my food choices, and stick with softer, well cooked options, so I don't think it's so much food choice, as catching myself in those initial bites of food that are too fast. The stuck feels hits quick and hard, sometimes after only a couple small pieces of food.

I wonder emotionally if being tired makes me more anxious (It does, often...) and therefore my stomach is a little less forgiving.

I have read some advice in other posts about prepping the stomach with some hot tea, or a Protein shake, or some juice before eating. I will try those.

I was just wondering if anyone had any other tips or tricks, especially in reminding yourself to chew when tired, distracted, or anxious.

Thanks!

I am so glad that you asked this question! My problem is not being tired, but the result is the same. When we are at home and eat, usually it is in front of the TV, and I am working on my laptop. Recipe for disaster!

I have NOT been good about cutting my food up into really small bites, but I am going to make the effort to do that. ALSO, I drink Water when I am eating - another no, no. If I don't concentrate on eating, then I get myself in trouble with food hanging up and eventually throwing up.

I like what you said about drinking a Protein drink and wait to eat. What I need to do is stop working on the computer (I am not surfing, I do contract work from home), and SIT AT THE TABLE TO EAT!

Okay, I am going to see how this works. Keep use posted on how your idea works for you. You're right - it is a new eating paradigm.

I think the American way of eating is quite problematic in that regard - the cut and stab method. You guys cut up your food and then swap your fork into your other hand and eat that way - its easy to just put fork after fork into your mouth quickly. Table manners here dictate that you keep your fork in your left hand, cut a piece of food, and transfer it on your fork to your mouth in your left hand. Therefore there is that natural break in proceedings as you cut off your next piece of food. You dont cut off many pieces in preparation at a time, just one. It really does help to slow you down.

A simple cultural difference, but it can really help. Of course I've sat for hours with a salad in front of me waiting for the meat to arrive, lol. Which it was never going to do until I ate the darn salad. D'oh.