Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to understand cc's and different band sizes?

Hi, I am not sure what size band I am getting. i thought, all the bands were the same size. How many sizes are there and what is the most common sized used? Also, need information on cc's how much is a good amount for your first restriction? What is too much and too little? Just curious...

That depends on the size of your band, and if you like it lose or tight or in between. As far as the sizes someone else will have to answer that. I have a 4cc band, there are bigger ones.

They hold cc's of saline to make it work. Wright now I am at 2.75cc's, but I feel a little to tight. My Allergies are also causing problems. so I might go in and go down to 2.50 or 2.60.

I'm good with restriction, so I really barely get hungry. Which is great to me, because I forever felt like I was starving. Now no way.

Good Luck on your search.

My understanding is that your surgeon will choose what size band to use based on the size of your actual stomach. As for fill levels, I know it's one of those things you hear a lot, but everyone's different. I have an 11cc Realize band. When I went for my first fill I got 4ccs, and I was told they usually put in 4-5ccs for the first fill. But I've seen people get less, or get more, and hitting a good fill level is a lot of trial and error. I don't think I'm at my sweet spot yet, but I do think I'm close, which is nice. Most people don't get to their "sweet spot" until they've had 3-5 fills.

Lap-Band now makes 2 bands the AP-S is 10 CCs and the AP--L is 14 CCs max. Realize has 2 bands. The Realize is 9 CCs and the Realize-C is 11 CCs.

The surgeon decides which size band based on your anatomy. Brand may or may not be up to you. My surgeon made the choice for me. As to how much fill you will need for proper restriction, everyone is different. Surgeons have different approach to how they go about first fills. Some are more aggressive than others.

Some people here get adequate restriction without any fill, some take near the max their bands allow. It really isn't anything your or your surgeon can predict.

Your band and the size depends on where you live ( what country and what is FDA approved), what your doctors office has and how your stomach looks.

There is the realize band, the swedish band, the lapband, the midband, and many others. Even within those names I listed there are big versions, small version and different generations of the band.

The lapaband for example has 3 generations that I know of.

The first generation band LAP-BAND 9.75/10 is a single baffle that is 4cc in size.

The second generation band LAP-BAND VG has 6 baffles and is 10cc in size.

The third generation ( and what I have) LAP BAND AP has 7 baffles and has 2 sizes 10cc and 14cc.

Another topic and decision maker if you can choose your band is port sizes. There are different size ports.

All of this you can discuss with your doctor. See what he does in his surgeries and research those kinds.

My doctor uses the swedish band (NOT realize band! It is the kind that came before the realize band as realize is based on the swedish band) and the lapband ap series ( just FDA approved in Korea last year). I had the swedish band but when i got rebanded I switched to the lapband and that was my decision.

Now as for fills, everyones stomach is different as well as your doctors ways of fills. My doctor discusses with his patients weekly how they are doing and if they sound like they need a fill he will give it to them. How much they get depends on how they feel. If he wants to try 4cc and you feel it at 2cc he stops and doesn't try to put in the rest of the cc, if you seem to have no feeling at all he might put in more than 4cc.

My first fill with the swedish band my doctor wanted to try 7cc ( the band is 11cc) and I thought he was nuts. I made him stop at 4cc even though I didnt feel much different. I of course went on to get more fills later but a first fill can be scary for a newby.

With my second band I got 4cc during surgery and didn't even know! When i went for my first "fill" I got another 1cc put in and that gave me some good restriction. I am now at about 6.5cc ( the band is 10cc) and things are almost good here.

Here are some photos and a little info about bands.

http://alienbanditinkorea.wordpress.com/2010/08/15/bands-very-important-please-read/

Thanks Alien Bandit...my response was U. S. Based ... oopsie! Should have mentioned that! And not as thorough.