Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on May 19th, and today makes five days of being banded. I have this horrible pain in my stomach when I get up to walk around; the pain is felt intensely in my upper stomach area, and it feels like someone is punching me, I've never felt a pain like this before. I am 19 years old and have never had any other surgery, so maybe I am not used to this pain, but I have seen other posts and a lot of patients are fine after day 4 or 5. I am just kind of worried that this may not be normal. Also, I was supposed to start taking this Protein supplement yesterday, and the directions were two tablespoons, three times a day. The only problem is that after one tablespoon, the taste made me nauseous and I could not take any more of it. I am waiting on my doctor to call me back about this to see if there is anything else I can take, because he said that I have to avoid vomiting, but God knows how long it'll take him to call me back. Do any of you have any suggestions on what to take for protein? Remember, I'm only on day 5 post-op, so I can't drink shakes yet. Thank you so much, in advance, for your help!

Hi, what you describe sounds like fullness. That is the feeling I get if I eat too much. The horrible thanksgiving I ate too much feeling, but higher up in the middle of the chest. Take smaller sips and bites. If you over exert your body it may also be soreness.

I was banded on May 19th, and today makes five days of being banded. I have this horrible pain in my stomach when I get up to walk around; the pain is felt intensely in my upper stomach area, and it feels like someone is punching me, I've never felt a pain like this before. I am 19 years old and have never had any other surgery, so maybe I am not used to this pain, but I have seen other posts and a lot of patients are fine after day 4 or 5. I am just kind of worried that this may not be normal. Also, I was supposed to start taking this Protein supplement yesterday, and the directions were two tablespoons, three times a day. The only problem is that after one tablespoon, the taste made me nauseous and I could not take any more of it. I am waiting on my doctor to call me back about this to see if there is anything else I can take, because he said that I have to avoid vomiting, but God knows how long it'll take him to call me back. Do any of you have any suggestions on what to take for Protein? Remember, I'm only on day 5 post-op, so I can't drink shakes yet. Thank you so much, in advance, for your help!

I haven't really been drinking too much at all, actually, my parents are worried that I'm not drinking enough. Thanks so much for your help, though!

Hi, what you describe sounds like fullness. That is the feeling I get if I eat too much. The horrible thanksgiving I ate too much feeling, but higher up in the middle of the chest. Take smaller sips and bites. If you over exert your body it may also be soreness.

It does almost sound like a "stuck" episode. You would be best to talk to your dr. about it. More important than your protien right now is fluids. You do not want to get dehydrated. Actually, if you are dehydrated that could have something to do with your stomach pain.

I did not have to be on Clear liquids except for a day. I got my protien by drinking carnation instant Breakfast in skim milk. One cup was like 13 g of protien if I remember. It's just like drinking nestle quick. By all means, you do not want to throw up.

You really need to speak to your dr. about both issues.

Welcome to lap band world. Good Luck to you on your journey.

I was banded on the 20th, and like you said, you're not really "eating" anything, so it's most likely not a stuck episode. I've been having the same type of pain and I think it's just the pain of your muscles that were damaged during surgery. I was really worried too because it seems like I keep reading about other people who were so quick to bounce back. I never thought I would be in as much pain as I was the first two days after surgery. It's getting a little better each day. The worst thing was that I was having muscle spasms in my stomach where I think my port was placed, so it did kind of feel like someone punching my stomach. I'm sorry you're in so much pain, but it does make me feel a little relieved to hear that someone else is having a similar post-op experience. It will be so nice when we no longer feel like we've been repeatedly pummeled in the stomach!

As for the Protein, some people have talked about clear little vials of Protein supplement that can be added to your regular drinks. I think you can find them at GNC. Go to Walmart and buy a couple different brands of pre-made Protein Drinks to sample. Good luck!

Yes, thank God I'm not alone! Thanks so much, Amber! :)

I was banded on the 20th, and like you said, you're not really "eating" anything, so it's most likely not a stuck episode. I've been having the same type of pain and I think it's just the pain of your muscles that were damaged during surgery. I was really worried too because it seems like I keep reading about other people who were so quick to bounce back. I never thought I would be in as much pain as I was the first two days after surgery. It's getting a little better each day. The worst thing was that I was having muscle spasms in my stomach where I think my port was placed, so it did kind of feel like someone punching my stomach. I'm sorry you're in so much pain, but it does make me feel a little relieved to hear that someone else is having a similar post-op experience. It will be so nice when we no longer feel like we've been repeatedly pummeled in the stomach!

As for the Protein, some people have talked about clear little vials of Protein supplement that can be added to your regular drinks. I think you can find them at GNC. Go to Walmart and buy a couple different brands of pre-made Protein Drinks to sample. Good luck!

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time of it :(

When i was newly post-op, my tummy felt like it was being pummeled for about 7 days post-op and I was led to believe that this was just because of where the port is sewn into the muscle. I was actually quite paranoid of being sick so I actually stuck to Clear Liquids for about 5-6 days, which basically meant drinking only Water (which gradually became easier) and x3 200ml of oxo cube Soup (a stock cube disolved in hot water) which seemed to meet my Protein needs. I also managed to have a couple of suger free popsicles which i found enormously helpful and comforting.

Is it possible the discomfort higher up in your chest is gas pains or reflux?

In either case I do think you should speak to your dr, but everyone is different and you should definatly not worry.

Also, on a side note, oddly enough I found that the more i drank, the easier it became to drink-if that makes sense! I was constantly sipping on chilled Water as I was very worried i wasn't drinking enough also, and I found that this helped me to be able to get my daily requirements and get my body more used to it. So, i'd start off sipping in the morning and by mid-afternoon I was able to drink longer sips (not gulps). It is incredibly frustrating not to be able to gulp as much water as you think you need, but please hang in there and keep us updated.

I had those pains that your referring to in the middle of my stomach that made me feel like dying! My doctor recommended an acid reflux medicine which helped a lot. Also they have the Special K Protein waters that taste way better then the shakes. Good luck and I hope you figure out whats going on.

I was banded on 4/26/11 and no lie I was sore for 3 weeks! I also had a hernia fixed, so maybe that explains my prolonged soreness, but I certainly did not "bounce back" quickly like some others have reported. I had a LOT of soreness around the port area. So if it's soreness, be patient and you will feel better soon.

This is what...week 5 for me...and I'm only now feeling like my "old self"...meaning I do not constantly feel like I was either hit by a bus or itchy from the incisions healing! I am now wearing pants with buttons and not just elastic waist pants (so stylish...NOT!). Last night I went for a walk around the lake with my family and made it all the way around twice before my port incision started to pull a little bit. I can finally sleep comfortably on my side...HUGE for me since sleeping on my back was very uncomfortable.

Protein is very important at this point to help your body heal its wounds. I was making my Protein shakes with skim milk and unflavored unjury on Day 2 as there was nothing clear that I could mix it with that didn't make me want to throw up. I highly recommend unflavored Protein powder if you are having trouble finding a Protein shake that you can tolerate.

Hang in there and talk to you doctor for your own peace of mind. Don't compare yourself to anyone else...I have a high threshold for pain and gave birth twice...and this surgery kicked my butt!

Good luck to you!!

First of all your going to be sore, and that takes time to heel.

It's also important to get your Protein in liquid form, 60 to 80 Grams a day.

For one, I'm sure you don't want your hair to fall out.

Pick up some samples at lapband meetings or on line, and do the wright

thing. Don't hurt your stomach either.

I had pain for weeks after my surgery, it felt like when I bent over I was being pinched. It could be gas pains or what they call port pain. My port was pretty sore for a couple of months but it does get better. It also happened to me when I wore jeans for the first time after surgery, i felt like i was dying the pain was so bad. I have been banded for a year and 4 months and after the first couple of months that pain went away.

I spoke to my doctor the day after posting this and he said that in moving around or getting up too quickly, I probably messed with a stitch, so that would explain the poking knives feeling that I had. I am feeling a lot better, although the pain is still there, I know only time will heal it! Thank you guys so much for your posts :) I will definitely use your sipping and Protein ideas because they were extremely helpful. Thanks to most of you for being so supportive :D. I've lost 13 pounds since my surgery date, May 19th! I'm super excited!

Good luck to you all!