Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes and Lap Band Surgery

Hello everyone,

I have type 2 diabetes and was wondering if anyone has had the surgery who is diabetic? My specific question is what do we do before surgery as we can't go too long without eating? I know these are questions I should and will ask my doctor, but it just occurred to me after i met with him on Thursday. I am going to have my surgery in June, don't have the exact date yet. I currently take Metformin for my diabetes control and know that I will have to crush this med up after I am banded. Any information someone can give on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kay

Hello Kay,

I am on my two week 800 calorie restricted diet and will be banded on Thursday. I am a type 2 diabetic and a registered nurse. Two years ago my Endocrinologist told me if I would get a lapband I would not longer have to take any meds for diabetes. I was not ready at that time. In the past 18 months I transitioned from oral meeds to insulin to obtain tighter control of my diabetes and gained 70 pounds. I was taking 50 units of Novolog prior to each meal until 10 days ago. along with Metformin and Lantus. My Bariatric surgeon cut my Novolog to a sliding scale during my pre diet- a drastic sliding scale - 5 units is all I have needed prior to my meals and some meals I don't need any insulin at all. For the first time in 18 months I am not hungry. I have more energy and sleep better already and I am only 10 days into the diet. I have dropped 17 pounds during this time as well. I am so excited about surgery and the reduction of medication. I take six oral meds and six injections per day - according to my physician I will be down to one or two meds only with greatly reduced dosages immediately post surgery!

So to answer your question about going too long between eating - you may be surprised and not have that issue at all post surgery. Four physicians have told me they have diabetic patients that take NO medication at all post lap band and added some very brittle long term diabetics will continue to need oral meds. The combination of the diet restriction (volume), the focus on healthy eating ( Protein not sugar) and the weight reduction changes in the body all lead to improved diabetes management.

Good Luck to you and I am hoping for a very positive outcome from this surgery. At a cost of $16,000 cash out of pocket it's gotta work!

Lisa

Hello Kay,

I am on my two week 800 calorie restricted diet and will be banded on Thursday. I am a type 2 diabetic and a registered nurse. Two years ago my Endocrinologist told me if I would get a lapband I would not longer have to take any meds for diabetes. I was not ready at that time. In the past 18 months I transitioned from oral meeds to insulin to obtain tighter control of my diabetes and gained 70 pounds. I was taking 50 units of Novolog prior to each meal until 10 days ago. along with Metformin and Lantus. My Bariatric surgeon cut my Novolog to a sliding scale during my pre diet- a drastic sliding scale - 5 units is all I have needed prior to my meals and some meals I don't need any insulin at all. For the first time in 18 months I am not hungry. I have more energy and sleep better already and I am only 10 days into the diet. I have dropped 17 pounds during this time as well. I am so excited about surgery and the reduction of medication. I take six oral meds and six injections per day - according to my physician I will be down to one or two meds only with greatly reduced dosages immediately post surgery!

So to answer your question about going too long between eating - you may be surprised and not have that issue at all post surgery. Four physicians have told me they have diabetic patients that take NO medication at all post lap band and added some very brittle long term diabetics will continue to need oral meds. The combination of the diet restriction (volume), the focus on healthy eating ( Protein not sugar) and the weight reduction changes in the body all lead to improved diabetes management.

Good Luck to you and I am hoping for a very positive outcome from this surgery. At a cost of $16,000 cash out of pocket it's gotta work!

Lisa

Hi Lisa:

Thanks for your detailed response. I have heard that I will probably be able to come off of the Metformin once I have this surgery. What I meant was the day of the surgery, will we be alright not taking any medication? What will stop our sugar from getting high? Or because we won't be eating will it stay down/low?

I wish you much success with your surgery especially since you are paying out of pocket. That's a trip of a lifetime. :)

Kay

AAAhhhaaa - sorry to over answer - You will be fine day of surgery. Your blood sugar may be slightly high prior to surgery but you will not be eating on that day and you will have an IV with a balance of electrolytes during surgery.

Good Luck!

Hi Karon,

I had type 2 diabetes. When I asked my primary doctor what I should do about my diabetic meds before and after surgery - she told me that I should stop my pills as soon as I start my one-week pre-surgical clear liquid diet and to just monitor my blood sugar closely. At the time she said "If your sugar starts to go back up when you are eating regularly, we'll figure out your new dosage. And who knows, if you're lucky maybe you won't have to go back on any medications" which seemed like a complete fantasy to me.

But my sugar levels stayed low the whole time immediatley before and after surgery - and it never went high again! It was the craziest thing.When I was first diagnosed, before I started taking metformin, my blood sugar was too high for my monitor to register (meaning it was over 600!) But now it's normal. (And so is my blood pressure).

But - obviously everyone is different, and you should most definitely follow your own doctor's orders. I just wanted to share my own little miracle.

fantastic! Does this mean your diabetes is cured? I hope to be medication free soon. I am amazed at how my sugars have responded to this pre diet.

AAAhhhaaa - sorry to over answer - You will be fine day of surgery. Your blood sugar may be slightly high prior to surgery but you will not be eating on that day and you will have an IV with a balance of electrolytes during surgery.

Good Luck!

Thanks Lisa. I appreciate the response. Keep us posted on your progress.

Kay

Hi Karon,

I had type 2 diabetes. When I asked my primary doctor what I should do about my diabetic meds before and after surgery - she told me that I should stop my pills as soon as I start my one-week pre-surgical clear liquid diet and to just monitor my blood sugar closely. At the time she said "If your sugar starts to go back up when you are eating regularly, we'll figure out your new dosage. And who knows, if you're lucky maybe you won't have to go back on any medications" which seemed like a complete fantasy to me.

But my sugar levels stayed low the whole time immediatley before and after surgery - and it never went high again! It was the craziest thing.When I was first diagnosed, before I started taking metformin, my blood sugar was too high for my monitor to register (meaning it was over 600!) But now it's normal. (And so is my blood pressure).

But - obviously everyone is different, and you should most definitely follow your own doctor's orders. I just wanted to share my own little miracle.

Thanks so much for the info. I am so happy for you. Your results are what I am hoping for as well. I have heard from my doctor that hopefully, my blood pressure as well as diabetes will go away once I drop this weight. It is one of my main reasons for wanting this surgery. People have not always understood. They think it's a vanity thing sometimes, but they don't understand as we do about all the meds we are taking and they all have side-effects. To be medication free or at least "reduced" would be a blessing, any vanity is purely a by product of this surgery.

Thanks again for the helpful information.

Kay

You're welcome, Kay.

I totally understand what you're saying. I was getting sicker every year, and was taking 8 pills a day for diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure and choronary artery disease and now I take none. I always feel overly dramatic when I say it ... but I do feel that this surgery saved my life.

And of course- looking better is a nice bonus!

Cathy

I also WAS diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. (Note the word "WAS").

Since the weight loss, I take no medication and only test my sugars once a week in the morning, just to make sure. I haven't had a reading over 100 in over a year.

I LOVE MY BAND! It is incredible feeling healthy. People actually call me skinny now - WOW

My type 2 diabetes was my primary motivation for getting banded 5-10-11. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago. Over time, the oral meds have become less and less effective and my endocrinologist has added more. I was taking 4 oral meds + a Byetta injection. My sugar #'s were almost out of control. The next step was insulin. I work in a safety sensitive job where I do not need to be on insulin due to fear on a bad reaction some time down the road.

My BMI was just over the low end threshold at 35.2, so I did not do a full liquid pre-op diet. Just low carb for 10 days. So far, 10 days pre-op and 12 days post op liquid diet I am amazed. My sugar numbers are better than they have been in years. It even got a little low with a couple of days in the mid 50's. I have already stopped 1 oral med, cut another one by 1/2, and one by 1/3. Dropping and cutting the meds has given me numbers in the 90's.

My younger brother was banded 3 years ago and was off all his meds within 4 months and 40lbs in. He has kept the weight off and stayed off the meds. I've been on them so long I don't know if 4 months is realistic for me, but I have a goal to be off all of them in 9 months.

You're welcome, Kay.

I totally understand what you're saying. I was getting sicker every year, and was taking 8 pills a day for diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure and choronary artery disease and now I take none. I always feel overly dramatic when I say it ... but I do feel that this surgery saved my life.

And of course- looking better is a nice bonus!

Cathy

Hi Cathy:

Thanks for the response and best wishes to you. I am so looking forward to getting off these meds. i know you are now a happy camper. I have heard many people say the surgery saved their lives. I believe that is true.

K

I am type 2, in October I had a BMI of 69 and had trouble getting my blood sugar below 200. When I started the pre-surgery diet my blood sugar started going down. By the time I had my surgery I had lost 28 lbs and my blood sugar was normal with medication. After my surgery it kept dropping and I kept lowering my dosage of my meds. 2 months after being banded I quit taking any diabetes medication, my blood sugar is almost always 100 and my last A1C was 5.8.

Hi Larry:

WOW that's great news to hear about the diabetes. I too am hoping to be off the meds once I have lost some weight after I am banded. Thank you for sharing your info with me. Best of luck to you as you continue this journey.

K

My type 2 diabetes was my primary motivation for getting banded 5-10-11. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago. Over time, the oral meds have become less and less effective and my endocrinologist has added more. I was taking 4 oral meds + a Byetta injection. My sugar #'s were almost out of control. The next step was insulin. I work in a safety sensitive job where I do not need to be on insulin due to fear on a bad reaction some time down the road.

My BMI was just over the low end threshold at 35.2, so I did not do a full liquid pre-op diet. Just low carb for 10 days. So far, 10 days pre-op and 12 days post op liquid diet I am amazed. My sugar numbers are better than they have been in years. It even got a little low with a couple of days in the mid 50's. I have already stopped 1 oral med, cut another one by 1/2, and one by 1/3. Dropping and cutting the meds has given me numbers in the 90's.

My younger brother was banded 3 years ago and was off all his meds within 4 months and 40lbs in. He has kept the weight off and stayed off the meds. I've been on them so long I don't know if 4 months is realistic for me, but I have a goal to be off all of them in 9 months.

Hi Dave:

Thanks for responding. That is wonderful news to hear. Your brother has done well and I'm sure you will too. I think you have a realistic expectation to be off the meds in 9 months, if not sooner. 14 years is a long time to deal with diabetes. Did you have any problems as a result to being on meds so long? How about sexually? I ask because I know that diabetes can affect men and I was wondering if that would come back once you are off the medication, but perhaps you have been spared that ordeal.

K

I also WAS diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. (Note the word "WAS").

Since the weight loss, I take no medication and only test my sugars once a week in the morning, just to make sure. I haven't had a reading over 100 in over a year.

I LOVE MY BAND! It is incredible feeling healthy. People actually call me skinny now - WOW

hi Ready2

Thanks for posting the miracle of not having diabetes anymore. I am hoping and wishing and praying for the same results. Best of luck to you and continued success with the band--even though you are an old pro now :)

K