Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

super low to no carb eaters

I'm being banded in June and my diet (when I start eating real food) will be all the meat and veggies I want, then no more than 30g of carbs a day, to be used for incidentals - not regularly. I'd like to know how many follow a diet like this and what your experiences with it are.

Have you done it, lost, then started eating carbs and noticed a difference in wt loss? (gain, feel addicted again)

What are some things you eat to mix it up?

Have you found and REALLY great replacements for things you love? (Peanut Butter, BBQ Sauce, ketchup)

What are your go-to foods?

Do you feel satisfied without carbs?

And anything else you might find helpful would be appreciated! Thanks :o)

I did a low carb diet for the first 6-7 months of my journey; that is when I lost most of my weight. I started with less than 30g per day then went to 50g per day as I exercised more. I can't say I was addicted to carbs but they were my go to food; I'd eat bowls of Pasta and bowls of rice, so I opted to cut them out, temporarily.

I found a lot of good low carb/keto diet recipes so they really helped keep me sane. Try looking for some and see what you can find. There are thousands out there.

Nowadays carbs are the least of my worries :) My life revolves around calories in vs. calories out and my carb count varies per day. Some days it's at 100g, other days 150g. I am mindful of them but low carb has gone out the window; I feel much better working out when I eat carbs. My weight loss has slowed, but I'm saying that's because I am almost at goal and I don't expect the weight to fall off as rapidly as it did.

Also, why are you cutting out Peanut Butter? PB is a perfect protein/fat source when doing a low-carb diet, not sure why you think it can't be eaten. As for ketchup and BBQ Sauce, low carb variations do exist, do some Googling and you'll find plenty :)

Hopefully Elfie sees this post; she is the queen of low carbing.

I did a low carb diet for the first 6-7 months of my journey; that is when I lost most of my weight. I started with less than 30g per day then went to 50g per day as I exercised more. I can't say I was addicted to carbs but they were my go to food; I'd eat bowls of Pasta and bowls of rice, so I opted to cut them out, temporarily.

I found a lot of good low carb/keto diet recipes so they really helped keep me sane. Try looking for some and see what you can find. There are thousands out there.

Nowadays carbs are the least of my worries :) My life revolves around calories in vs. calories out and my carb count varies per day. Some days it's at 100g, other days 150g. I am mindful of them but low carb has gone out the window; I feel much better working out when I eat carbs. My weight loss has slowed, but I'm saying that's because I am almost at goal and I don't expect the weight to fall off as rapidly as it did.

Also, why are you cutting out Peanut Butter? PB is a perfect protein/fat source when doing a low-carb diet, not sure why you think it can't be eaten. As for ketchup and BBQ Sauce, low carb variations do exist, do some Googling and you'll find plenty :)

Hopefully Elfie sees this post; she is the queen of low carbing.

I'm not cutting out PB, but it has a lot of sugar and comes in at 15g carbs for 2 tbsp. Gonna look for a natural PB or sugar free. Carbs are my addiction, and i AM addicted. Just hoping for some variance from grilled chicken and veggies smile.gif I found lots of recipes, but am hoping to discover more go-to foods that are easy to pack and take.

I'm not cutting out PB, but it has a lot of sugar and comes in at 15g carbs for 2 tbsp. Gonna look for a natural PB or sugar free. Carbs are my addiction, and i AM addicted. Just hoping for some variance from grilled chicken and veggies smile.gif I found lots of recipes, but am hoping to discover more go-to foods that are easy to pack and take.

Natural PB is great; I use it all the time. And 15g per 2 tbsp? Are you subtracting Fiber from your carbs or no? 15g is extremely high; the white chocolate PB I eat has less than that. :blink:

I'd recommend cheese sticks, eggs, any sort of meat, nuts, etc. I ate a lot of broccoli, fibrous veggies, etc.

Natural PB is great; I use it all the time. And 15g per 2 tbsp? Are you subtracting Fiber from your carbs or no? 15g is extremely high; the white chocolate PB I eat has less than that. :blink:

I'd recommend cheese sticks, eggs, any sort of meat, nuts, etc. I ate a lot of broccoli, fibrous veggies, etc.

thanks, i haven't tried natural yet. i looked up skippy reduced fat creamy, as that's what i usually buy. i didn't subtract fiber, just straight up carbs. 15 is high! i was worried.looked up smuckers natural pb - 6g - that's MUCH better! :o)

I have stuck to a low carb, low calorie diet. I found that the less carbs I ate, the less I wanted them. I eat chicken breast with salad most of the time usually with no dressing at all but if I use dressing, it's low calorie low fat. I also eat some veggies like broccoli. I keep waiting for the day I will get sick of salad, but I have been doing this for about 4-5 months, since I started solid foods, and I still crave the salads. Once in awhile I will have half of a boneless pork chop or a couple pieces of bacon to change it up a bit. If I feel an absolute need for something with carbs, i go ahead and eat it. I just eat a very small amount of it :) So far my weight loss has been pretty good, my doctor always seems pleased by it. I average almost 3 pounds a week weight loss. Good luck to you!!!

I have stuck to a low carb, low calorie diet. I found that the less carbs I ate, the less I wanted them. I eat chicken breast with salad most of the time usually with no dressing at all but if I use dressing, it's low calorie low fat. I also eat some veggies like broccoli. I keep waiting for the day I will get sick of salad, but I have been doing this for about 4-5 months, since I started solid foods, and I still crave the salads. Once in awhile I will have half of a boneless pork chop or a couple pieces of bacon to change it up a bit. If I feel an absolute need for something with carbs, i go ahead and eat it. I just eat a very small amount of it :) So far my weight loss has been pretty good, my doctor always seems pleased by it. I average almost 3 pounds a week weight loss. Good luck to you!!!

I've heard that the fewer you eat the less you want, and have experienced that but allowed myself to get sucked back in. what are some of your favorite healthy dressings?

My favorite dressing, and the only one I use is a low fat low cal balsamic vinaigrette. I just ran out yesterday so I can't look at the brand, but I think it's a Paul Newman brand :) I have been sucked back in a few times also. I lost my mom a month ago and got sucked in bad for a week or so, but I just had to remember how proud she was of my weight loss and recommitted to my diet. I just did a couple days of liquids and that's usually all it takes to get over the cravings again. Hang in there, it is so worth it in the end :D

I've heard that the fewer you eat the less you want, and have experienced that but allowed myself to get sucked back in. what are some of your favorite healthy dressings?

Hey, if you're looking for something different, Boca Burgers are high Protein, some are low fat and easy to take! Just heat up in a microwave for a few minutes. I don't really care for most meats so boca burgers are great!

Just hoping for some variance from grilled chicken and veggies smile.gif I found lots of recipes, but am hoping to discover more go-to foods that are easy to pack and take.

i'm 7.5 months out of surgery, and i generally average 30g of carbs per day. i read a lot of people's blogs/comments/etc saying that they can eat carbs with their meals; i can't do it and still lose. generally my carbs come from my Protein shakes, veggie Proteins - ie veggie burgers, tofu, cottage cheese, and salads/veggies. most days i'm pretty satiated. there are times when i will crave carbs for days and days and days. yesterday, after craving a Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich for over a week, i made myself a few crackers with Peanut Butter and jelly. it helped a lot. my hope is that when i reach my goal (another 30 pounds), i'll be able to integrate more healthy carbs into my diet and still be able to maintain.

i honestly don't have a lot of variation in my diet. i try to have as much as possible, but it's become very predictable. i don't eat meat except for fish, so generally my meals are either tuna, salmon, tofu, or a veggie burger with no bun and a salad. Breakfast every single day is one hard boiled egg and 1/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese. i also have one or two Protein Shakes a day. i've just gotten used to eating the same thing pretty consistently.

after my 3 weeks of liquids was up... i started the low carb, high Protein way of life. the scales move down daily. i eat bacon or turkey sausage for Breakfast. sometimes will make an omelet. any and all kinds of meats throughout the day with fresh veggies. i cut up and stir fry fresh veggies almost daily. zucchini, squash, broccoli, green onion, carrots and peppers. then i'll fix a pork roast, or some type of beef or chicken. that way it's accessible to me when i need to eat. i eat 6 meals (and/or snacks) a day still. i go about 3 hours between meals. when i'm hungry the meat satisfies me the most. i love the veggies too... but i try to eat more meat for the Protein and fullness. i'm staying under 30g carbs daily. string cheese is a good snack.< /p>

good luck to you.

I'm being banded in June and my diet (when I start eating real food) will be all the meat and veggies I want, then no more than 30g of carbs a day, to be used for incidentals - not regularly. I'd like to know how many follow a diet like this and what your experiences with it are.

Have you found and REALLY great replacements for things you love? (Peanut Butter, BBQ Sauce, ketchup)

What are your go-to foods?

Do you feel satisfied without carbs?

And anything else you might find helpful would be appreciated! Thanks :o)

Hi Nikki,

I'm a diabetic so I do not eat any grains, starches or fruit...only Protein and green vegies. My carbs for the day are usually between 30-40. This isn't just a diet for me. It's how I have to eat the rest of my life if I want to stay off my insulin and have an A1C of 4.5-5.

Once I got serious and quit with the 'just one piece' or 'just for this special occasion' and stayed completely carb free (except those found in vegies and the miniscule amounts in eggs, etc.), I found I obsessed less about food. What really did it for me though was to stop using artificial sweeteners too. They may be 'ok' but they kept my tastebuds craving.

Over time I've learned that I do best at not falling off the wagon when I eat 'cleaniy' and simply. When I try to jazz it up or find replacements for my old favorites, I start craving and obsessing again. However, there is a website with some wonderful low carb recipes - mashed cauliflower (great mashed tater substitute), oopsie rolls, etc. if you can handle them.

Not sure what you mean by 'go to' foods. Are these foods you 'go to' between meals when you're really hungry? If so, mine is a couple ounces of cheese.

Yes, it took awhile but I've reached the point where I am satisfied without the kind of carbs that made me insulin resistant and fat in the first place. Then again, I might have a greater motivation in that this isn't about losing weight for me. It's about controlling my blood sugar. When I look at that piece of bread or see an ad for ice cream, my mind automatically starts calculating what it's going to do to my blood sugar. Good incentive for 'just saying no'. :D