Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Man, am I bummed!

I just met an old friend who had gastric bypass in July. I had the band placed in June. She started 10 pounds lighter than i did. She has lost 100 pounds and is a size 4. I have lost 46 pounds and am a size 16. I thought i was doing so well, I was aware that I am losing slowly - although I am happy with my total weight loss - but was happy with it. I have really changed many things in my life and I am happy. It just was a blow to see how small she has gotten. I know all of the negatives to the bypass, I know that it generally takes us two years to lose what they lose in one... It just was the first time I have stood side by side with someone who had the bypass and basically started when I did. Has anyone else had this experience?

Yeah that would bum me out too. Well slow weight loss is healthy weight loss. 46 pounds is great! You go girl!!!:clap2:

Be sure to check in with her in another year, and another year after that, then again in 5 years. Until then, you can't really compare your stories. She may do great, be healthy, and maintain her weight loss. It's just that the two journeys are so different. It's hard to face when the size 4 is staring back at you, though. Hang in there.

I total agree w/Kathy. Its what happens two yrs from now that will count. I feel your frustration. I too have thought why didn't I choose the other way- especially b/c I go to the support meetings & both types of WL are represented.I can tell you though two people I know that had RNY have gained back 35+ pounds after their 1st year. I don't wish that on anyone, but it is a reality that I have witnessed.

Hmm, maybe go visit her when she's 60 and has a broken hip and is really really wrinkly, and unhealthy due to malnutrition.

You dont want that. It's just not worth it. Skin and bones is not beautiful, vibrant healthy people are beautiful.

Thanks for the support. Of course you are right, and i would just die if I gained back 35 pounds. I had heard that both surgeries achieve the same weight loss goal but bypass people generally do it in a year and bandsters do it in two years. If this is true then I am right on target.

Laura,

I can sympathize with you BIG TIME! My mother had RNY about three months before I had my surgery and she has lost over 100 hundred pounds and mine is coming off so slowly in comparison that I feel like it is non-existant sometimes. Keep your chin up and i will try to do the same!:)

a friend of mine had rny about 3 month before I was banded, she has lost over 100 lbs and she looks great! She is sick tho- and has been hospitalized 2 in the last 4 months. last week or 2 ago, she was in Idaho for a work conference and had 1 bite, 1 bite, of mexican that did not agree, or got stuck, lodged, whatever and she quit breathing was taken by ambulance to hospital and then flown to Missoula with biatric experience because they did not know how to get it un stuck!! she is devestated- wishes she had the band and is envious that I have no problems, yes, it gets stuck, I throw up there ya go, she has had so many problems from day 1 after surgery and would rather be heavy then the issues of RNY.

Long and short, they RNY may loose faster, but we_ loose healthy, our fat doesnt sag (too bad) from rapid weight lose, and we can continue with our lives day to day! be happy we are gonna catch up to them and surpass, its just more time for us to enjoy our successes.

It's been a long time since I have posted here. I am almost 2 years out (May). 50#'s down and I feel GREAT. The compliments make me smile on a daily bases. It is totally awesome when a young man tells you after seeing an old and new drivers license that "Dang you got better looking the older you got!" I'll take my slow loss any day!

This post struck me and I feel if we take a look at where our brains are with our weight loss we are 10 times happier. Slow is great the skin, the mind, our behavior have time to catch up with each other. Don't rush the loss!

You know, you are right, I was perfectly happy with my weight loss even though it is slow. I was so happy the other day when i bought clothes in the regular size department for the first time in like 5 years. I am sure I will be fine tonight after i go to the gym (that always makes me feel better). In general I am just a happy girl these days. I don't know what got into me yesterday. :clap2:

I feel your pain! My best friend had RNY a week before my lap-band surgery. She's down almost 70 and I'm at almost 20. She's a little lower than my weight now (230), but is wearing 2 sizes smaller than me. It's just not fair... But, I've seen her struggle with food intolerances, vomiting, and generally feeling like crap. Me...no problems whatsoever. I'd much rather lose it slower and be able to enjoy my meals. BTW, her husband is 2+ yrs out and is slowly regaining some of his weight (even tho' he exercises everyday).

Bren

yup be happy and look at the positives. My sister in law had RNY 4 years ago, and after the first 18months or some she stopped looking and has starting gaining weight back (about 15lbs so far)

Its hard, because we want to loose quick too, but i love knowing how much healthier i am in the long run.

Great work Laura, perfect for one year if you ask me.

I swear by being a turtle. They won the race. But more importantly in the past when I lost weight quickly I could not keep eating that way forever, soon enough my body would scream at me to feed it, soon enough I would and the regain would begin. So loosing slowly and having my hunger meter tamed by the band I know I can continue eating this way forever. Maintaining is key to me. Trish

You know, you are right, I was perfectly happy with my weight loss even though it is slow. I was so happy the other day when i bought clothes in the regular size department for the first time in like 5 years. I am sure I will be fine tonight after i go to the gym (that always makes me feel better). In general I am just a happy girl these days. I don't know what got into me yesterday. :clap2:

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Way to keep your chin up & stay focused! I for one am very proud of you!!!:clap2: