Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bertha / Abkin in Morristown NJ

Newbie, I think moving on to more-solid foods is really a very personal thing. Dr. Abkin also told me to go ahead after one week, but I found that I wasn't really ready for more than a bite or two. So while our doctors are definitely on the more lenient side as far as that goes, be sure to listen closely to your body and STOP if you feel any discomfort.

And yes, feeling hungry again is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL. You're healing and normal function is returning. The simple presence of the band in a fully healed stomach is not enough to affect your hunger process much. You're heading for the hard part now.

My strategy was to do what it took to not get too hungry, because I figured the worst thing I could do is eat too fast or too much and possibly damage my stitches, etc. And when I get really hungry, WATCH OUT! So get youreself to Trader Joe's and buy the yummy pates, stinky cheeses, and exotic yogurts and spreads you'd otherwise never buy, because protein-rich mushies are what it's all about at this stage.

Glad to hear your appointment went well. Nice to have those staples out, huh?

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the feedback. I also found that I'm not ready for more than a bite or two. But the monster in me is certainly returning. I think it's more of a mind thing. I'm thinking of the fact that I can have the foods and when I get them I can't really eat them. Like today, I have my lunch all planned out. A burrito from taco bell so I can eat the insides of it. YMMMM!! Sounds so good to me. Thanks for the tip on the Protein, I working hard to get it in.

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the feedback. I also found that I'm not ready for more than a bite or two. But the monster in me is certainly returning. I think it's more of a mind thing. I'm thinking of the fact that I can have the foods and when I get them I can't really eat them. Like today, I have my lunch all planned out. A burrito from taco bell so I can eat the insides of it. YMMMM!! Sounds so good to me. Thanks for the tip on the Protein, I working hard to get it in.

It sounds like you are doing great. Just the fact that you seem to be incontrol of what you are eating - and mroe importantly the quantity - is great. That is something I can only dream about.

Congrats!

Sonia

Well, I officially took my first step. I ahve an appt with my PCP on Monday, and the new patient seminar on Wednesday. I plan to have a copy of the info packet they are sending me to give to my PCP, but at that point I want her to give me a referral for Dr. Abkin, if she can. THat way, I will be able to schedule a appt after the semiar if possible (and if I am still brave enough, that is).

Should I already have a letter showing all my weight loss efforts done to show my PCP? She had already been hinting that I should have bypass (that was when the lap band really hadn't come out in the states yet) so I think she will be fine with it.

I know she will again suggest to put me on blood pressure medicine. Will Dr. Abkin insist on my blood pressure being totally low before the surgery? I guess that is a dumb question. In a way I want it to be done immediately, but in another way I don't want to be approved, you know?

Anyway, I gotta go. Thanks for listening.

Sonia

Hi Sonia. I'm not sure what the doctor will do in your case, but in mine they did not insist my blood pressure be normal prior to surgery. Although I was on medication for high blood pressure already for one month, I had started with a very low dose and my blood pressure was still slightly elevated until, surprisingly, the morning of surgery. You'd think I'd have been so tense my blood pressure would have shot up, but instead it was normal for the first time in months. :D

I don't think it matters much whether you get the letter from your physician now or after your appointment. Either way, you will have to go back and get blood tests. I did not have my letter available at my first appointment, but sent it in after that, with other material.

I was put under at 7:30 a.m. and first recall waking up at 9:00 a.m. I would guess (only guess) that I was out of surgery prior to 9:00 and was perhaps in and out as I was waking up.

I used to be really nervous about anesthesia, so don't think there's anything abnormal about your worries. I think it's natural to have some worry because it's a situation over which we have no control. But the anesthesiologist I had at Morristown was wonderful and very reassuring. You may not have the same one but all the anesthesiologists at Morristown come from the same company.

I accidentally missed my first appointment so I had to do the whole two weeks of liquids. Wahhh :D I started mushies last night (one meal early) and had no trouble, but I can eat a pretty fair a mount and I feel hungry again a little while later. This morning I had one cup of Malt-O-Meal (with milk and splenda) at 9:30 am and I'm already hungry again. :/

Hi Sonia. I'm not sure what the doctor will do in your case, but in mine they did not insist my blood pressure be normal prior to surgery. Although I was on medication for high blood pressure already for one month, I had started with a very low dose and my blood pressure was still slightly elevated until, surprisingly, the morning of surgery. You'd think I'd have been so tense my blood pressure would have shot up, but instead it was normal for the first time in months. :D

I don't think it matters much whether you get the letter from your physician now or after your appointment. Either way, you will have to go back and get blood tests. I did not have my letter available at my first appointment, but sent it in after that, with other material.

I was put under at 7:30 a.m. and first recall waking up at 9:00 a.m. I would guess (only guess) that I was out of surgery prior to 9:00 and was perhaps in and out as I was waking up.

I used to be really nervous about anesthesia, so don't think there's anything abnormal about your worries. I think it's natural to have some worry because it's a situation over which we have no control. But the anesthesiologist I had at Morristown was wonderful and very reassuring. You may not have the same one but all the anesthesiologists at Morristown come from the same company.

I accidentally missed my first appointment so I had to do the whole two weeks of liquids. Wahhh :D I started mushies last night (one meal early) and had no trouble, but I can eat a pretty fair a mount and I feel hungry again a little while later. This morning I had one cup of Malt-O-Meal (with milk and splenda) at 9:30 am and I'm already hungry again. :/

It sounds like you are doing well. This may be a dumb question, but do you feel the band around you..i.e. something foreign in your body? I wonder what it feels like.DId the doctor give you a list of do's and dont's regarding what to eat at each stage? I think that would make it easier to figure out, at least for me. I always did better on a structured diet plan, where I was told what to eat. WHen left to my own devices, I would let hunger rule my head, and my mouth, unfortunately.

A personal question - did you tell anyone about your surgery? I have told one very close friend and my husband that I am contemplating this, but no one else. If you didn't tell them, how did you explain you being out from work? Just curious.

Thanks,

Sonia

do you feel the band around you..i.e. something foreign in your body?

I don't feel the band, but I feel the port. I am hoping that sensation diminishes over time. I am almost always aware of it. But it sounds like other people have no issues with their ports.

You meet with a nutritionist and a nurse before the surgery and you do get a list of what to eat and what not to eat at each stage. They give you a book. The first time I looked into surgery, they handled the lap-band and gastric bypasses together and I got a book primarily focused on gastric bypass patients. I was really pleased to discover this time around that they had separated the two and my book was solely for lap band patients.

You can also pay for three post surgery consults with the nutritionist they have on staff. I can't recall how much it was. I'm still debating whether to do it because my insurance does not cover nutritionists.

A personal question - did you tell anyone about your surgery? I have told one very close friend and my husband that I am contemplating this, but no one else. If you didn't tell them, how did you explain you being out from work? Just curious.

I'm a stay at home mother, so work wasn't an issue for me. I debated whether I would tell anyone; I had heard some people think this is taking the "easy" way out, etc. But I decided that since this was going to be a big part of my life for sometime, I would be open about it. Besides...some of my friends could use it. My ex-husband (from 11 years ago) is even thinking about it now and has called to ask me to keep him updated on my progress with the band.

I think it's kind of exciting. I'm definitely not embarrassed about it. At first I just told people I was going in for surgery (to explain why I couldn't go to things or why their kids couldn't come over for a few days or why I needed them to give my kids a ride home, etc.) and then they'd say "What kind of surgery?" So I told them and the more I talked to people the more I heard "Oh I have a friend who is hoping to get that done!" Or "I know someone who had a gastric bypass. They've done really well with it."

And it was all very reassuring. I didn't get any negative remarks at all and found people very supportive. :D

Hi Jersey girl!

I have good news for you. I know for a fact that Horizon BCBS does cover the band for people who qualify. It's not an automatic denial like it is with Aetna and Amerihealth.

Drs. Nicholas Bertha and Alexander Abkin have done lots of lapbands, and Bertha was involved in the FDA trials way back when. I don't know offhand if they participate in Horizon's HMO network, but it would be easy enough to find out.

Oh my... I will be getting Amerihealth... am i looking at troubles?

Hi Babygirl,

This thread is really old, and I am pretty sure that Amerihealth has revised their coverage policies since 2003. The only way to tell is to call them and ask what the coverage criteria are for bariatric surgery. If it's an exclusion on your plan they'll tell you.

Good luck!!

Hiya! I'm a newbie. :thumbup: I was searching for Abkin and Bertha when I can across your thread. I'm thinking of the Lap Band. I have Oxford and they will cover it. I have to have a BMI of 40. Now, get this...I'm 5"2.5/5"3 and I'm about 220. I'm almost there! LOL Would it sound ridiculous of me to want to gain a few pounds to reach a BMI of 40?

Also, do you know if I have to see a gastroenterologist or my primary care physician to get weighed and such?

Thanks!

Got banded yesterday 3/11/08 from Abkin and Bertha all went well Some minor discomfort no real pain. I have BCBS Fed emloyee program no problems fom them my BMI is 50 and I have sleep apnia, Arthritis. I live in Ocean County and figured it was worth the drive they are supposed to be the best.

Got banded yesterday 3/11/08 from Abkin and Bertha all went well Some minor discomfort no real pain. I have BCBS Fed emloyee program no problems fom them my BMI is 50 and I have sleep apnia, Arthritis. I live in Ocean County and figured it was worth the drive they are supposed to be the best.

Regardless of who you speak to at your consulation, they do do they surgery together, right?

I was banded by ABkin and have had a fill done by Bertha. I think they are great surgeons and doctors. I chose them and traveled to them because they really are very good. My only complaint is their staff seems to be overwhelmed sometimes. I also have not had a fill in 1 1/2 years so i have a small weight loss. I have Medicare and Medicare won't pay for them unless they are done at a Center of Excellence program, and Morristown hospital is not included in that program. I wished the staff could have worked out something for me, cut me some kind of break, a discount, a pay plan, anything so that I could get the fills instead of this situation I am in.