Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8mo's Post-Op; My Banded Weight Loss Journey

Hi and Good Day to All,

Back in early 2010 a friend shared with me her decision to get the Lap-Band. She went in to much detail, and soon I was on my way to Dr. Anthony Coiran located here in Modesto, California. ...He is a great doctor with a very knowledgeable, and caring PA, and staff!

At my heaviest back in 2007, I was 308lbs, wow!! I lost 67lbs on a strict diet all to end up gaining most of it back; I needed help and fast due to so many complications with my health. After the seminar, visits to both the nutritionist and evaluation by a Psych doctor, my surgery date was set for September 10th, 2010; my weight then was 273.8lbs.

I know, this sounds more like a bio... :)

The professionals and staff all along from the initial doctors visit to the seminars stressed the that the Lap-Band was a TOOL and NOT a magic bullet, ...(which I completely agreed with and understood). The victories along the way would come when I used it as such; soon I was enjoying the big and little victories along the way ~smiles.

To date, post-op it has been 8mo's and three days and I am down 36.4lbs and counting. I know the weight for me is coming off slow, however, I rejoice at what has been lost and in keeping a positive attitude (all will be well). During the first month, I lost 23lbs; that my friends was my first "big victory", I thought "wow" is this normal? Will it continue to come off so much, and so fast? Well, I plateaued at 246, then bounced back and forth from 246-242lbs.

I believe, and as most professional people, the fellow banded and friends have said, "everyone's metabolism is different" ...Well, soon the time came when I knew I was ready for my first fill; 3rd month post-op. Depending on your band in terms of the cc's it holds, I will caution in getting too many fills, as I have had 5 fills already. The first 3 were 1cc each, the next was .5cc, and the last was 1cc putting me at 4.5cc. My band holds up to 9cc, while some bands hold up to 11cc.

At 4.5cc's my band was too tight ...and then the trouble began. I could not eat nor hold down something simple as Tomato Soup. I suffered for two days before going back and having 2cc removed. During those two days I lost 7lbs. I then gained them back in a matter of 3weeks. I don't mean to come off negatively just be very careful of what you do eat.

My issue is/was the sugar/carbs; yes, I like sweets and in eating some bread, but I'm holding off on spiking my coffee with tons of sugar and I stopped eating that fast and convenient sandwich because I was doing more harm than good. Since my last visit two weeks ago, I had a 1cc fill because after all the drama I felt waaay more hungrier than usual, so I decided on a fill. Keep in mind that I do eat healthy meals consisting of fish, boneless skinless chicken, plenty of veggies, fruits and nuts, yum!!

I'm doing much better (I think) without the sugary coffee n sandwiches and I'm down the 7lbs that I gained and feeling really good about that; I have so much more to say that I could write a book!! My many praises are to Yahweh Yahuwshua for blessing me each day!!! If anyone has any questions, comments, or advice please be positive in nature, as I would welcome what you will have to say; ...may I hear from you soon enough; stay blessed... :)

Hi David

Thanks so much for your detailed description of your first 8 months post op.

I am in to be banded this TH.

Your ticker is exactly like the one I picked!! Haha!

I hope to ask you many things as a resource after the banding..

Am grateful for your feedback and experiences.

Mike

Hi and Good Day to All,

Back in early 2010 a friend shared with me her decision to get the Lap-Band. She went in to much detail, and soon I was on my way to Dr. Anthony Coiran located here in Modesto, California. ...He is a great doctor with a very knowledgeable, and caring PA, and staff!

At my heaviest back in 2007, I was 308lbs, wow!! I lost 67lbs on a strict diet all to end up gaining most of it back; I needed help and fast due to so many complications with my health. After the seminar, visits to both the nutritionist and evaluation by a Psych doctor, my surgery date was set for September 10th, 2010; my weight then was 273.8lbs.

The professionals and staff all along from the initial doctors visit to the seminars stressed the that the Lap-Band was a TOOL and NOT a magic bullet, ...(which I completely agreed with and understood). The victories along the way would come when I used it as such; soon I was enjoying the big and little victories along the way ~smiles.

To date, post-op it has been 8mo's and three days and I am down 36.4lbs and counting. I know the weight for me is coming off slow, however, I rejoice at what has been lost and in keeping a positive attitude (all will be well). During the first month, I lost 23lbs; that my friends was my first "big victory", I thought "wow" is this normal? Will it continue to come off so much, and so fast? Well, I plateaued at 246, then bounced back and forth from 246-242lbs.

I believe, and as most professional people, the fellow banded and friends have said, "everyone's metabolism is different" ...Well, soon the time came when I knew I was ready for my first fill; 3rd month post-op. Depending on your band in terms of the cc's it holds, I will caution in getting too many fills, as I have had 5 fills already. The first 3 were 1cc each, the next was .5cc, and the last was 1cc putting me at 4.5cc. My band holds up to 9cc, while some bands hold up to 11cc.

At 4.5cc's my band was too tight ...and then the trouble began. I could not eat nor hold down something simple as Tomato Soup. I suffered for two days before going back and having 2cc removed. During those two days I lost 7lbs. I then gained them back in a matter of 3weeks. I don't mean to come off negatively just be very careful of what you do eat.

My issue is/was the sugar/carbs; yes, I like sweets and in eating some bread, but I'm holding off on spiking my coffee with tons of sugar and I stopped eating that fast and convenient sandwich because I was doing more harm than good. Since my last visit two weeks ago, I had a 1cc fill because after all the drama I felt waaay more hungrier than usual, so I decided on a fill. Keep in mind that I do eat healthy meals consisting of fish, boneless skinless chicken, plenty of veggies, fruits and nuts, yum!!

I'm doing much better (I think) without the sugary coffee n sandwiches and I'm down the 7lbs that I gained and feeling really good about that; I have so much more to say that I could write a book!! My many praises are to Yahweh Yahuwshua for blessing me each day!!! If anyone has any questions, comments, or advice please be positive in nature, as I would welcome what you will have to say; ...may I hear from you soon enough; stay blessed... :)

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. It's good to find people who are willing to talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly. We need to hear all of it....do you have any idea what caused your plateau in the first place? I can see that making me so discouraged that I'd stop trusting the process after awhile, and going back to my bad old habits. I'm a newbie...I am just starting the process and reading all I can so I can learn all that I can. I know it's difficult to not be able to eat the things you want, like sweets and breads, etc...and I wonder if we learn coping mechanisms to fall back on when things aren't going right and we're stressed and craving the bad stuff, and falling off the proverbial wagon. Do you think you were properly prepared for the drastic change in lifestyle when you had your surgery? What kind of counseling and nutrition assistance did you receive before your surgery? Is there counselling support post-op if you need it?

Hi Mike,

First things first, you are most welcome, and it's a pleasure to meet you here! Mike, I truly believe in your decision; you are on your way towards a very enriching learning experience having your Lap-Band put in. Like many, I was extremely excited and nervous as the weeks turned in to days, then hours regarding my surgery date.

Hi-Five on the ticker!! ...and remember, I'm here for you as a resource before and after surgery my brother!!

Hi David

Thanks so much for your detailed description of your first 8 months post op.

I am in to be banded this TH.

Your ticker is exactly like the one I picked!! Haha!

I hope to ask you many things as a resource after the banding..

Am grateful for your feedback and experiences.

Mike

Hi Faith Wade:

You are most welcome; it's a pleasure meeting you here, and thank you for your kind words! I agree that we should be as forthcoming and detail oriented when discussing everything from A-Z when considering being Banded, and also with pre-surgery and post Banding.

Plateauing: When plateauing, I do believe in kick starting one's metabolism and that may be done by kicking up one's exercise regiment to continue with losing the desired weight, and in reaching one's goal weight. I believe that my body's metabolism reached that plateau that we spoke of earlier; and as one who is "disable" I tend to exercise little because of it. I'm in need of knee surgery, I have two herniated discs on my upper back (neck) and may need surgery for that as well. So, for that, I must be careful when using my "Bodylastics" bands when lightly working out; for light walking i must use my cane.

Testimony: I will admit that i felt very discouraged when hitting that plateau; however, i asked myself was i really going to feel sorry for myself and allow that thought process to overrule my train of thought and constitution? ...or would i accentuate the positive in "remaining positive" and continue on with my eating healthy, resting plentifully, and exercising? ...I decided on the latter!

Sweets-n-Bread: It's been almost a few weeks now and I went from 6-7 days a week having the sugar and breads to 1 day a week. That one day a week for me is a day of reward so to speak. My reward day consists of one sandwich, one soft drink (Dr. Pepper) and some chocolate covered raisins (moderately), which i have during my lunch break at a University I attend. So far, so good, because again, i see it as a reward day instead of it being a part of an everyday lifestyle in terms of incorporating it in to my daily diet.

Being Properly Prepared: I prepared myself by resourcing/researching as much information as possible, and by changing my eating habits in terms of the food choices, and by following a prescribed time pattern in eating each meal, along with light Snacks (yogurt/nuts) between meals and drinking plenty of Water (64oz+.) each day.

Counseling, Support, and Nutrition Assistance: Before and after surgery, the staff of Dr. Anthony Coiran were/was/has been extremely helpful with an abundance and wealth of information and answers to my many questions. I was also given a "U.S. Bariatric LAGB Patient Education Handbook" (very informative). The staff stated that I would be able to find support groups via the internet in my area, and also provided me with a support group through their own resource center, along with a calendar with meetings dates and times regarding nutritional support in the form of a nutrition class with a certified nutritionist.

In His service and yours, :D

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. It's good to find people who are willing to talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly. We need to hear all of it....do you have any idea what caused your plateau in the first place? I can see that making me so discouraged that I'd stop trusting the process after awhile, and going back to my bad old habits. I'm a newbie...I am just starting the process and reading all I can so I can learn all that I can. I know it's difficult to not be able to eat the things you want, like sweets and breads, etc...and I wonder if we learn coping mechanisms to fall back on when things aren't going right and we're stressed and craving the bad stuff, and falling off the proverbial wagon. Do you think you were properly prepared for the drastic change in lifestyle when you had your surgery? What kind of counseling and nutrition assistance did you receive before your surgery? Is there counselling support post-op if you need it?

Amen sister! You get out of it as much as YOU are WILLING to put in! For me, counting calories does it! Whether it's sugar or cream, or what dressing goes on my salad, everything counts. Try to get into a habit of reading food calorie and nutritional intake labels. Keep fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts around you all the time. You got to jump start your metabolism! Remember, count calories! I eat Breakfast, lunch and dinner, in between snack on Protein, nuts, soy products, drinks, I eat something about 7-8 times during the day, remember count calories! Try that and if you wanna cheat, hey, go for it! You will not feel deprived, promise! What works for me, I am sure will for you. God Bless You!

Hi and Good Day to All,