Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everybody do this?

When i drink liquids, i have to wait 5 minutes between sips! I have to eat 1/2 hour after my last sip, and wait 1/2 hour to drink anything after i eat. Plus I have to wait 10 minutes between each bite of food. It is almost impossible to get all your liquids and meals in, in one day. Does anybody else have to do this, or my surgen crazy?

I can drink up until I eat. Eat, then wait 1 hour to drink again. I think I should wait 2 minutes between each chew. If I chew and drink I at the same time I get stuck. I know all surgeons give different instructions, but never saw those instructions. Maybe you check again with your surgeon's office.

Your surgeon is crazy.

Here's what mine says:

1. Wait 15 minutes after drinking before you eat. Don't drink until an hour after you eat.

2. Don't spend more than 20 minutes on one meal. Chew, chew, chew. When you think you're done chew some more.

3. Take toddler sized bites (Mine actually says the size of a pencil eraser but it would take a year to eat at that rate).

Unless your pouch is the size of my fingernail, there is no reason you need to wait 10 minutes between bites. Maybe a minute at the most. I remember you posted about this before...who is your surgeon?

Your surgeon is crazy.

Here's what mine says:

1. Wait 15 minutes after drinking before you eat. Don't drink until an hour after you eat.

2. Don't spend more than 20 minutes on one meal. Chew, chew, chew. When you think you're done chew some more.

3. Take toddler sized bites (Mine actually says the size of a pencil eraser but it would take a year to eat at that rate).

Unless your pouch is the size of my fingernail, there is no reason you need to wait 10 minutes between bites. Maybe a minute at the most. I remember you posted about this before...who is your surgeon?

My surgeon has very similar instructions.

Yeah, that sounds like pretty extreme restriction. Did you just recently have a fill? Maybe you're having some temporary swelling from a recent fill. Otherwise....

The problem I would have with this level of restriction is that I would get so frustrated that I would turn to high calorie "slider" foods and end up having ice cream for dinner....

The most I ever have to wait between bites is 3-5 minutes. And that's if it's a very bread-like texture food.

Wow that has to be frustrating! I am not supposed to drink 30 min prior to eating and 30 min after eating which I usually stick to. I haven't heard anything though about waiting 10 minutes between bites. I take a bite, chew well and then take another. You'll feel it if you're doing something wrong (at least I have) like taking to large a bite or not chewing enough. As for drinking, the doctor didn't give me any instructions as to how to drink. I just drink like I normally did prior to surgery. Maybe the information they gave you was only supposed to be for right after surgery? Good luck with everything!

What? This is the second post i see about that! This is unreal! That would make the lap band the most annoying , torturing thing. My doctor is known to be very strict with his instructions and he is the once who installs the most lap bands in canada, he says to eat fast, in 10 minutes to feel full. I know that is different, but he says, and i have tested it, he says that when eating fast, it hits ur hunger nerves in your stomac to your brain, and you fool your brain!

It works for every one of his successful patient ive talked to. Also, he is very tough with fills, he does not like to fill the bands a lot, only when hungry during meals, he does not want his patients to block on food and vomit after and slipping the bands.

As for drinking, he said drinking right after is no problem, but after the meal wait 1h30 min.

I think the 10 min thing is the most ridicoulous thing ive ever heard! Imagine the catastrophe:)

It sounds crazy impossible to me! I can drink as much and as often as I need up until my meal. I am to take small bites and chew well but no timing is needed between bites. I am to stop eating after 30 minutes and wait 30 minutes to drink.

My surgeon requests 30 mins prior to meals, no drinking during or for 1 hour after meals, to take very small bites and to take 20-30 mins to finish a small meal. Other than that no restrictions (outside of the normal chew, chew, chew and healthy choices).

Good luck. That sounds torturous to me.

Water goes right through it doesn't matter! I probably wouldn't gulp a giant glass of water right before I eat.. for me, I don't drink WITH my meal, that's about it. The sipping is only for the first couple of weeks while you are healing.