Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

waiting 10 minutes between bites????

I am just starting the solid normal food, and I was wondering does everybody really have to wait 10 minutes between bites? So for my 30 minute lunch I get 3 bites. That almost seems impossible. 10 minutes is a long time to wait for another bite of food. Also my hot food gets so cold by the second bite. My Dr. says I wiil stretch out my small pouch if you dont wait 10 minutes. Seems crazy! Anyone outhere have any input, let me know

10 minutes?!? um... no. i don't do that. providing you've chewed well, food passes through your band quickly. and usually you can feel it going down (well, maybe you can't, i can) and once my swallowed food is past the band, I know it's "safe" to take another bite.

I can't imagine waiting 10 minutes!~\

No offense to your doctor, but that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. How can anyone eat that way? My doc says not to spend more than 20 minutes on a meal. As long as you take small bites and chew them well, you won't stretch your pouch.

I remember thinking someone else had a weird Dr as they had been told 3 minutes between bites. 10 minutes is ridiculous. I would swap Drs. If yours seriously thinks that is how to eat with a band then he/she doesn't know much.

It is important to eat slowly and to wait to make sure the bite you have just swallowed is sitting comfortably and not stuck before taking the next one but 10 minutes between bites is a joke.

I am so glad to hear this, because I was really having a hard time even waiting 5 minutes. Well I am going to ignore my Drs orders and do I have been doing and that is small bites, chewing really good, and taking it slow.

Thanks

No offense to your doctor, but that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. How can anyone eat that way? My doc says not to spend more than 20 minutes on a meal. As long as you take small bites and chew them well, you won't stretch your pouch.

How funny that I found this post! My doctor's office told me to wait 10 minutes in between bites too! I did it because they stressed that this was important, but I do agree that it is a bit ridiculous. It takes me literally almost an hour to finish 2 oz of chicken! And by the third bite, I'm sick of it because the food gets cold (I know I can always reheat).

So seriously..I DON'T have to wait 10 minutes? That sounds so great. I'm just scared of stretching my pouch that's all. I haven't had my first fill yet... still in bandster hell!!

When were you banded? I wonder if you have the same surgen as me?

I've heard of putting your fork down between bites, but never waiting 10 minutes. Wowser! You'd never finish a meal.

Oh, and reheated meat can get stuck very easily... ohmy.gif

I was told to wait 10 minutes also. I like others wait to know that a bite isn't stuck before I take another. I do eat slower, but I don't wait 10 mins.

Wow, that just seems crazy!! I have also heard of putting your fork down between bites, but never waiting 10 minutes. Chew well and take your time. You will be fine.

Eat a small bite just like you would normally. Eat a bite, put your fork down, chew, swallow, pick your fork back up, get another bite, etc. As long as they are small bites you'll give your pouch time to "fill up" just enough to get you full, then you'll stop.

You'll also get used to eating food cold, most meals take me 30 minutes to eat 1/2, then I'm full.

Cold food has become the norm for me! I find myself eating a lot of Soup because it stays hot longer.

Previously I hated cold food. If something was meant to be eaten hot that's how I liked it. Now I'll eat pretty much anything cold or at least cool. Unfortunately very few 'hot' foods taste good cold, which helps me curb my eating. Perhaps that's part of the band's plan ; )

I totally get what you're saying though, Soup is one of my comfort foods; I know I can eat 2 c of it and it will be hot the whole time.

Wow, that just seems crazy!! I have also heard of putting your fork down between bites, but never waiting 10 minutes. Chew well and take your time. You will be fine.

You are amazing!! Congrats on your weight loss and a baby!! Your life has changed so much! Congrats!! Enjoy!!

Not banded yet (June8th) but I was told put fork down chew wait about a minute then another bite