Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everything complete - Just waiting for surgery on 5/24

I have completed everything today and I am just waiting for my surgery on May 24. I am very excited, but scared! I have never had anesthesia before and it scares me.....big time. I have no other health issues and have been assured it will be fine. I have heard so many positive stories of success and excited to lose this weight and live a healthier life. I can't wait for the day I have no knee pain going up the stairs.

I need to prepare for that first week after surgery. For those who have been there/done that, can you please share a list of necessities I should have on hand? In other words, if you were stranded on an island right after lapband surgery, what 5 things would you bring?

I am also looking for a good tasting Protein powder. How big of container do I get? What does it taste best in?

Congrats and good luck to you! My surgery is the 25th so we'll be pretty close!

From my understanding you'll need loose fitting stretchy type pants, a robe, maybe an ipod with some music on it (that's more for me-lol), some things to read,, a defiitely a small pillow for the ride home-to put on your belly.

I hope we both has lots of success with this!

First off congrats!! Just make sure you fill your pain RX before hand, have your Vitamins and Calcium all ready also make sure your Protein Shakes are at home and ready. I would pick up some gas x strips they worked well for me. Good luck!!!

So excited for you. I am not nervous about anything but I do feel a little over excited at times. I hope you can calm yourself enough to enjoy what a life change this will be.

I saw a lot of people talking about the gas strips. My dr. said this won't help with the gas that is pumped inside of you. Is that why or do you get gassy from the liquids only?

First off congrats!! Just make sure you fill your pain RX before hand, have your Vitamins and Calcium all ready also make sure your Protein shakes are at home and ready. I would pick up some gas x strips they worked well for me. Good luck!!!

Hey!

You're going to be so pleased that you got it done! This was my first time having anesthesia also. It was pretty scary, but I actually felt calm about it. In fact, when they wheeled me into the operating room, the nurses were all singing to one of my favorite songs. The radio was going, people were laughing...it was a good time. They put the mask on me and told me to breathe in the oxygen. So I did. Then the nurse told me goodnight. As soon as she said that, I tried to fight it. I remember saying, "But I'm not sle..." Then I was out. She told me it was oxygen, but it was probably just her way of getting me to breathe it without fighting. All in all, it was good! I was definitely scared, but it's nothing to worry about. It was just the waiting around and thinking about it before hand that really drove me nuts!

My Protein shake is made my BodyTech. It's called whey Tech Pro Isolate. And of course I needed it in chocolate! It's good for the most part. Definitely not a milkshake...but it's easy to get down. I bought a shaker (a cup with a whisk in it) so it's easy to just shake up. I would really like to try the muscle milk though. But with Protein shakes - you need to make sure they're whey isolate. That's the biggest thing. For me, I went to The Vitamin Shoppe and they didn't have much choices when it came to size of container. I had to get 2.07 lbs of it. Next is Cookies & Cream!

Anyway, hope that this helped. Good luck with everything!

Meg

p.s. Do bring some HUGE clothes with you to change into when you get discharged from the hospital. I almost made the mistake of only bringing jeans to change into. I was thankful that I had thrown my pajama pants in the bag just a few seconds before we left for the hospital.

My surgery is on the 25th, so I haven't had a lapband yet, but I have had other surgeries. You will do just fine! I do have a suggestion for you to think about. I bought some liquid tylenol. I'm not sure what your post-op orders will be, but mine says three days of Clear Liquids then 5 weeks of full liquids. I'm assuming I may need some tylenol in those first three days! Otherwise, I would say just have plenty of whatever your doctor wants you to drink/ eat those first few days, and comfortable clothes. Good luck

Congrats to you!! I was scheduled to have surgery May 27th, however I got a call yesterday that my insurance company has denied it. I'm fighting with them now, but what a horrible call to get 1-week out from surgery!

I have completed everything today and I am just waiting for my surgery on May 24. I am very excited, but scared! I have never had anesthesia before and it scares me.....big time. I have no other health issues and have been assured it will be fine. I have heard so many positive stories of success and excited to lose this weight and live a healthier life. I can't wait for the day I have no knee pain going up the stairs.

I need to prepare for that first week after surgery. For those who have been there/done that, can you please share a list of necessities I should have on hand? In other words, if you were stranded on an island right after lapband surgery, what 5 things would you bring?

I am also looking for a good tasting Protein powder. How big of container do I get? What does it taste best in?

Almost there now. You will do great! Excited and scared are very normal!!!

Number one thing you will need is Gas-x strips in case you have gas. Maybe you will not need this but if you do it will be a life saver.

Stock up on Protein drinks. I drank (and still do) EAS advantage. I purchase by the case at Sam's. They have 17 g Protein and only 1 carb with about 110 calories

You may want to have some sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles

Some people say a heating pad is great. I never used one.

If you are one to get tired of Water then get you some other types of juice drink, like apple, pineapple or cranberry.

Hope this helps you.

Jonna,

I am so sorry to hear that your insurance denied it. I hope your doctor and his staff will do a good job of fighting for you. Good luck and keep your chin up!

Weesie

Congrats to you!! I was scheduled to have surgery May 27th, however I got a call yesterday that my insurance company has denied it. I'm fighting with them now, but what a horrible call to get 1-week out from surgery!