Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled tomorrow and getting cold feet!

I have scheduled this surgery, paid for it and now it seems people have come out of the wood work with negative information.

I am scared out of my mind.

Tell me about the first 10 days. Also this girl from another physicians office said after 18 months she is still throwing up.

You will be fine!!! I only was sore for probably the first 3 days.. Had surgery on Monday back to work on the next monday (and could have probably went back a little sooner) I throw up occasionally but its usually my fault if I do (i either dont chew enough take to big of bite or eat to fast) its just a learning process. If your friend is constantly throwing up she is probably too tight and needs an unfill... I was throwing up everything once and they took out a little bit of my fill and I was back to normal! I wouldnt change ANYTHING !!!! I had my surgery done June 21 2010 and i am almost 11 months post op and have lost 75 pounds... I feel great!!! Once again you will be fine and enjoy the new you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nan, don't listen to the negativity. This is BEST possible thing you can do for yourself! I've had several surgeries in my life and this one was by far the easiest. If someone is throwing up for 18 months, her band is probably too tight and she's just not willing to admit it. I went through the same thing in the beginning...not for that long but I can see where it could happen. If its for some other reason, the odds are astronomical. As for the first 10 days...my doctor insists on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks and full liquids for 2 more. I honestly didn't have a problem with that. I was just so excited to finally have the lap band that I had wanted for several years. I had no hunger pains and no desire to eat anything solid. Make sure you sip Water as much as you can stand and walk...walk...walk. The most common complication is blood clots. They're only going to develop if you don't move. Good luck. You'll do fine. And again, don't listen to people who don't know what they're talking about. Listen to your doctor and his staff and listen to us. We've been there.

I just had my surgery on May 9th, and from what I have gathered in just a few days you have nothing to fear. I was really sore the first day when I got home but I pretty much just slept it off. As of today I am feeling much better (and the glorious shower I was able to take today really helped :lol: ). I can def feel my new life begining and I have gained a fantastic outlook on the whole process. Good luck to you on your journey :D

Put on socks...no cold feet.

I will tell you my personal experience and I may be one of the very lucky ones.

Day before surgery, heck the week before surgery I was terrified and going to cancel...then I said to myself..."If you cancel, come this time in six months you'll still be overweight and kicking yourself." I have reasons for doing this surgery and I just reminded myself of them. I went with my sisters the weekend before and I purchased a size 10 pair of capri pants....they are hanging on my closet door as inspiration.

Here's my recovery since surgery. I was banded on 4/18. I had surgery at 7:30 a.m. and was out of surgery by 9:20 (that is when my dr. went to see my husband so I was probably out sooner). I had a HH repaired too. I woke up and felt pretty good. Sore but good. Before I opened my eyes I touched my stomach to see if they had to "open me up" - nope two little incisions...one about 1/2 inch and the other about 2 inches. Closed beautifully.

Taken up to my room and I was on a patient controlled pain pump. Loved that! They asked me around 4:00 what my pain level was and I told them honestly it was only about a 3. I felt really good but wobbly...thanks to the drugs. Tried to sleep most of the day/night between them coming in every few hours to check my vitals...seriously, I'm recovering please just let me sleep! Next morning....pain set in a little more...and I was probably at a 7 but still tolerable! Nothing to drink and around 9:30 a.m. they took me down for an upper g.i. - - - I had one done before surgery where you drink that chalky pink or white stuff. Well, whatever they gave me to drink for this one...was cruel punishment for something I must have done...literally, it tasted like vomit (that bile stuff you try to throw up when there is nothing left in your stomach, bitter nasty stuff). Anyhow, you asked so I'm telling. Then they gave me a little chalky stuff to drink and this was to check and make sure everything was closed up and in place nicely. Back up to my room after the ok. I had some chicken broth and some juice....awesome.

I was released on Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. Went home and slept. Didn't take any pain medication. Wednesday, no appetite and swollen but not in too much pain. I took my liquid pain medication because I was just a bit uncomfortable and wanted some good sleep. UGH, the liquid pain meds made me so sick...I was sitting there praying I wasn't going to get sick. I didn't but it was close. Didn't take any pain medication after that and really didn't need it. No appetite and was eating popcicles, juice, broth etc. Feeling pretty good surgery wise but just tired.

Wednesday after surgery, this headache set in like I've never ever felt before. I was prepared for the gas pain in my shoulder like others talked about but this headache scared me. Nothing touched it and I refused to take my pain medication because it made me so sick. I actually called the on-call doctor on Saturday because I was scared I was goign to have a stroke or something. It made me sick to my stomach, I couldn't swallow without shooting pain. It was at the base of my head (top of my neck) on the left side and as each day went by it would spread to the point it was across the top of my shoulder. I sat there and cried in pain and couldn't turn my head. It was horrific. Dr. said it was probably the gas settling in my neck!!! (this finally disappeared after almost 3 weeks...two weeks of intense headache and then it slowly disappeared).

Well, Easter was the Sunday following my surgery and this is when I discovered that I have no problems with eating anything. I ate some sweet potatoes, some mashed potato salad, some peas and something else but can't remember. I have had no problems eating anythign I've tried since then. I am a horrible, horrible follower of the rules and my advice would be to try and stick to them the best you can. I do pretty well and stay on track for the most part but do cheat.....and I know I shouldn't. Next week I should be on regular foods according to the schedule. I do NOT eat like I used to.....I eat much less, and I'm honestly not as hungry as I used to be...maybe it's mental but I don't care, it's working for me.

I had restriction at first and was so excited, but soon realized that was because of my stomach being swollen and not because of anything the band was doing for me. I cannot wait to get that feeling back and I LOVE my band already. I do eat less, and I do eat slower so I think that goes hand in hand. I've lost 20 pounds and it is awesome. I put on a pair of jeans this past weekend that I haven't worn in 3 years. I'm down one whole pant size already...and people who haven't seen me can tell the difference in my face already.

DO IT...remember your reasons.....I wouldn't take this back for anything.

i'm still a little sore around my port area, but that is because I try to be Wonder Woman and do it all myself...and my husband doesn't get that he should just do certian things for me without me having to ask him 100 times to do it.....he should know that I'm still recovering and shouldn't be trying to lug in a bunch of groceries, lifting heavy things and carrying them far, but if I don't do it, it wont' get done. With that aside, I wouldn't change this experience for anything. I have an 11cc Realize band and they DO NOT give you any fill after surgery with this band and I think that has helped me with my recovery....not so much in the faster restriction like others have but I don't have a lot of port pain and I don't have problems with things getting stuck etc. I get my first fill on 6/2 and cannot wait....I'll let you know how it goes after that...When I REALLY have to start following the rules because hopefully there will be some restriction there! I do love my band and I know it is going to be the best thing I could have done for myself.!

Good luck......

Getting banded is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done for myself. I no longer have knee pain, am no longer on BP medicine and feel better than I have in years.

It is normal to be scared and nervous and for some reason when people hear you are having surgery they feel the need to tell you about every horror story they have ever heard...you need to ignore them and remember why you are doing this. Last night I went to my support group and there was a woman in there who had looked into surgery a year ago but decided not to go through with it because she was scared...well, now she's back - she regained everything she had lost during her 6 month diet required by her insurance and is now scheduled for surgery again.

My post op experience was great...I had surgery on Thursday and was back to work the following Monday. I didn't have a lot of pain at all (only took the pain meds twice) and didn't really have bad gas pains either. Everyone's experience is different but as long as you are prepared and follow your surgeon's instructions you will be fine.

Good Luck!

Nahhh dont be scared! Im only 22 years old and Im sooo thankful for this band. If I can do it, you can do it. I cried the whole way to the surgical center and cried until I was put under! I couldn't believe it when I woke up from surgery that I did it! So then I cried some more because of happiness! This website is amazing for support and answers! YOU WILL DO JUST FINE :)

Also, I had my surgery on a Monday, went back to work a week later. Could have probably went back even Thurs or Friday but I just wanted to be off :)

Don't worry. This is the best thing I've ever done for myself. The first day I wanted to crawl in a hole, but the next day was better and day 3 was just a bit sore. You'll feel so much better

hI you will be fine i mean everyone is different i was banded dec 13th went home 14th no pain meds from the 15th on i had a hard time for a while now and then i would get major heartburn and it was my own fault not chewing or eating too fast i have been to get a fill twice....but didnt need any fill done.....am losing i was stuck but today the scales moved looks like 3 lbs so i am happpy

Don't be scared. I had my surgery on October 15, and it's been one of the best decisions of my life. I'm down about 60 pounds and feel so much better. It hasn't always been easy, but it's so worth it!

The people giving you negative feedback are just

1. Jealous

or

2. Negative Nellies

It is just like when you are pregnant and everyone and their sister comes out of the woodwork to tell you their horror stories or that of a friend, of a friend, of a friend.

I am just a little over a year post-op and I would go and do it again tomorrow without hesitation. The band is directly responsible for my being able to walk again without pain in my arthritic knee and even for my finding my husband and getting married. Had I not gotten banded we would have never met.

So, don't listen to the naysayers and do it for yourself. This is one of the many reasons I told next to no one about my surgery. To this date only about 5 people know!

I felt about half ready to go home when I was in the preop area but I stuck with it. ;) My surgery went great including having a hiatal hernia repaired. I left home at 7AM for the hospital and was back home before noon! I had very minimal pain, was driving the next day, walking the neighborhood 3 days later. I am thankful every day for my band.

It is normal to second guess important decisions.

Think positively and you'll do great!

Joan

I have scheduled this surgery, paid for it and now it seems people have come out of the wood work with negative information.

I am scared out of my mind.

Tell me about the first 10 days. Also this girl from another physicians office said after 18 months she is still throwing up.

Hi i am on day 5 postop and I feel great! Went in on May 6th 2011 at 9:00 am in by 12:;00 back to my room by 2:30. I was very groggy and basically wanted to sleep which I did for 2 hours. When I woke up the nurse asked if I was ready to walk I said yes maam lets go. Up and down the hall I went slowly but it helped soooo much. I stayed the night to be woken every 2 hours to check blood pressue and temp. Left for home by 900 am. At home I did take a pain pill because I walked around walgreens too long and felt a little sore. I Watched a few movies and getting up every few hours to use the potty. I slept in my recliner that night and did not sleep well. I went into my bed the next night and slept on my left side very well and felt great the next day. I did not really need much for pain and I stayed home from work until today (Wednesday) 4th day post op. I felt tired and a little sore moving around the building but I was so ready to get out of the house and back to work. I am on a strictly liquid diet which is fine not too bad yet. I have lost 10 pounds (water weight) but who cares its gone. This really was not too bad....I wont compare it to my c-section (no comparison) but I will compare it to my gallbladder removal. very similar.

Good luck ---don't let a little cold feet stand in your way of enjoying a successful weightloss!