Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi my LB family. Maybe someone can answer sone concerns I have. I had my surgery on May 4th, I have been feeling good but yesterday and today I have been feeling really weak and short of breath when I walk up the stairs or walk a short distance. My arms got tired just from brushing my hair. Outside of today I have been taking in about 56 Fluid ozs of fluid but I can't bring myself to even look at anything to drink and I tried my Protein Shake but only gaged on it and get the dry heaves just looking at it. I have been sipping on Water today but have only taken in about 20 ozs total. Oh, and the middle of my back hurts just below or at my shoulder blades. Do I have a sign of the starting of dehydration? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

How much Protein are you getting?

I was just in the pre op class yesterday and some of this sounds familiar! They said you would probably experience fatigue the next few weeks just because your body is adapting to the lack of calories and your body is healing. Also, the pain in your back may be from the gas that they use to fill your abdomen during surgery - they said you can't completely alleviate this, it just needs to work it's way out. They recommended more walking for this. If you're feeling extremely uncomfortable or concerned, don't be afraid to contact your dr.

About 40 grams working my way to 50 grams what my Dr recommended per day for Protein but I haven't been able to tolerate much of anything today.

How much protein are you getting?

Thank you for the advice. Oh and I love your Papillon too. she/he is just too cute.

I was just in the pre op class yesterday and some of this sounds familiar! They said you would probably experience fatigue the next few weeks just because your body is adapting to the lack of calories and your body is healing. Also, the pain in your back may be from the gas that they use to fill your abdomen during surgery - they said you can't completely alleviate this, it just needs to work it's way out. They recommended more walking for this. If you're feeling extremely uncomfortable or concerned, don't be afraid to contact your dr.

Did They give you nausea meds? I couldn't think of drinking for the first 2 days so I took the nausea meds and drank! Try making a smoothie, really thin, with the things you like and add in Peanut Butter or your Protein Shake. It helped me, I was not getting enough Protein. The gas pain is the worse thing! Try laying at an angle where your shoulder is lower than your stomach, I know it sounds crazy, but it helps move the bubbles to your stomach out of your shoulder. massage the stomach around the incision also helps do it softly. I have had the gas in my shoulder for 4 days, but these help.

Good luck!

Thanks, he's part of my motivation for losing weight so I can do agility runs with him!

Thank you for the advice. Oh and I love your Papillon too. she/he is just too cute.

They did give me nausea meds but I haven't had them filled as I haven't needed them so far. I'm on stage 2 of the post.op diet but mine says nothing about having fruits or anything other then Protein shacke and non caloric drinks that bascily leaves crystal light , Water of other sugar free water based drinks. I don't understand it because others can have creamy Soups I'm still on broths. I'm waiting for my nutricionist to call me back because I need something with a little besides just liquids. It seams the only difference between stage 1 diet and stage 2 is they just add the Protein Shakes to stage 2. very confused by the diets and what I can have. Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it. Ad the gas has subsided but I will try that the next time I get that.

Did They give you nausea meds? I couldn't think of drinking for the first 2 days so I took the nausea meds and drank! Try making a smoothie, really thin, with the things you like and add in Peanut Butter or your Protein Shake. It helped me, I was not getting enough protein. The gas pain is the worse thing! Try laying at an angle where your shoulder is lower than your stomach, I know it sounds crazy, but it helps move the bubbles to your stomach out of your shoulder. massage the stomach around the incision also helps do it softly. I have had the gas in my shoulder for 4 days, but these help.

Good luck!

Maybe your Iron is low.

Mine is really low right now and a flight of stairs nearly kill me. That shouldnt be ok since I am only 10 lbs from goal and 150 lbs at 5'6.

Make sure to take a multi Vitamin and maybe an Iron pill for now while your body adjusts to your change in eating habits.

Good luck :)

i was having those exact same issues. the shortness of breath was bad enough i called my surgeon. he said it was because we don't breathe as deeply during the surgery and recovery, so our lungs get gunk in them. i saw my regular doctor today about the fatigue. she ran my labs, and i was a bit anemic, but she said not badly enough to cause serious problems. i've been taking geritol tonic (an Iron supplement), and that seems to be helping for me. however, it also sounds like you may be lacking nutrients altogether if you're still on mostly Clear Liquids after all this time! i'd put a call into your surgeon, if i were you. good luck!!