Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Repeat Offers of Food

My husband drove me nuts last night. I had slept most of the day and woke up at 3pm and ate some greek yogurt and granola. I was good for 4 hours at least. I asked him if he had plans for the kids for dinner around 5pm, knowing they were getting hungry and I was due to leave for work. I got called off work, so was home for the rest of the evening and hubby would not stop asking me what I wanted for dinner, where I wanted to go for dinner, did I want leftover pizza, blah blah. I politely told him several times that I wasn't hungry, and wouldn't be till later.

Does anyone else have problems with people just not hearing "no thank you?"

:mellow:

Oh yes!!! I work at a small office and all though everyone seems to be on a diet, nearly every desk has a candy bowl (not mine of course). I will literally get offers all day for candy and some co-workers will even bring me a peice and try to give it to me! Other times at work I get offers for bites. I know everyone just wants to be friendly, but turning down a fun size candy bar or Reese's is semi difficult for me, but also annoying when it's just placed on my desk. I'm glad you at least are turning it down from being full. Now that I got a fill I am enjoying a bit of restriction and it's easier to decline but up until the end of last week, I was really having trouble declining the food in my face!

I am going through the same scenario. My family is constantly, on a daily basis, offering me food that I am not allowed to eat (Fried, fatty, junk Snacks, candy) and they just dont get it. It has been 2 months since my surgery and everyday I have to explain the rules over and over again and frankly I have to walk away sometimes or I will blow up on them.

The most frustrating part is when I politely decline and then the Why? questions begin and what are you going to eat? questions begin. Then they try and rationalize that fried poultry or italian sausage on the grill is high Protein, yet I have to explain every day that they are high in calories and fat therefore I cannot eat them.

I do my own shopping and cooking everyday yet the questions go on and on and on.

Am I being unreasonable with expecting them to understand by now? Should I just let loose and blow up, maybe thats what they need to back off and stop trying to sabotage?

Any advice from anyone?

It still gets really annoying when you go out and the waiter/waitress keeps asking several times through out a meal if something is wrong with it.

After a few meals together with one buddy, he noticed that in the time it takes him to eat his whole meal, I only eat a quarter/ third of mine. I'd turn down food because I wasnt hungry. He began picking on me in a loving/ joking manner. Then he eventually sat me down in concern. I needed to eat more, etc, etc. I'm going to get sick if I'm not eating, blah blah blah. I explained the banding but it doesnt really register in his brain. He just feels that I am sick because I'm not eating.

2 years later, I still have 2 male friends that struggle with this concept. Their way of protecting/providing? Who knows but if you find a way to stop it let me know!!!!!

Most people just grew sick of asking/insisting I eat.

(I have been filled to my sweet spot then had some removed for other health concerns, then completely deflated and now working my way back up).

It still gets really annoying when you go out and the waiter/waitress keeps asking several times through out a meal if something is wrong with it.

The way I look at it is if the waiter asks me if there is something wrong with the meal then I am doing a good job with my portions. I usually just say something like "I guess I'm not as hungry as I thought I was" and then I ask for a to go box to take the rest home with me...

I've decided to start asking for a to-go box at the start and setting at least half aside. when I was out with my brother for a semi-fancy dinner last week (so portions were already on the smaller side) I noticed the waiter glancing at my still semi-full plate a bit too often. I don't mind sharing with people that I have a band, and educating, but I don't always want to explain or discuss it. Sometimes I just want to sit down and enjoy my meal. That was one of those times. My brother is aware of my band, and very politely never brought it up during the meal!!! He asked me if I wanted to try some of his Beans, and mentioned that they were "helthy" (my Beans weren't so much).

A few weeks back i took a pot of chili to my mother-in-laws where she and a family friend were adding cornbread & salad. Sitting down to supper, I was BOMBARDED with questions. It was super irritating. I just wanted to eat in peace!:rolleyes:

I've decided to start asking for a to-go box at the start and setting at least half aside. when I was out with my brother for a semi-fancy dinner last week (so portions were already on the smaller side) I noticed the waiter glancing at my still semi-full plate a bit too often. I don't mind sharing with people that I have a band, and educating, but I don't always want to explain or discuss it. Sometimes I just want to sit down and enjoy my meal. That was one of those times. My brother is aware of my band, and very politely never brought it up during the meal!!! He asked me if I wanted to try some of his Beans, and mentioned that they were "helthy" (my Beans weren't so much).

A few weeks back i took a pot of chili to my mother-in-laws where she and a family friend were adding cornbread & salad. Sitting down to supper, I was BOMBARDED with questions. It was super irritating. I just wanted to eat in peace!:rolleyes:

Does your mom know you had the surgery, or did you keep it from her...?... if she knows than she should understand.... my wifes aunt used to say I needed to lose weight so I would be around for a long time (she was in her late 90's so we would just smile and nod) but when we went out to eat at an all you can eat cafeteria she was all the time saying 'You need to eat more"... again we would just smile and nod at her

I think some people are just not capable of understanding. My family, those that know and those that do not leave me alone and do not questions what I eat. They see that I am losing weight and am becoming healthier. I have also been fortunate hat the friends have gone out to eat with also just accept my portions (they do not know I had lap band).

There are others that will unconsiously try to sabatoge you because of your success. I know those little candy bars, or just a piece are tempting, but I know if I start, I might not be able to stop.

Be strong and stick to your guns. We all can do this!

This is a struggle often for me also! I think our society has been conditioned into thinking eating a lot is good...which is what got most of us in this obesity mess in the first place lol. Some days I am super tight, some days I get full quick. I really do get annoyed with waiters who repeatedly (after I've told them I'm fine) ask what was wrong, why didn't I eat, etc. I get tired of explaining myself whether it be talking about the band or just that I "eat small meals throughout the day" etc. Most of my friends and family that I eat with know and luckily they don't joke too heavily or push me too much. I get very nervous when going out with large groups, to conferences, etc. because I don't always know what's on the menu and how my band will do with it.