Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Guys,

I have a second consultation this weekend and while on the phone, the girl told me she has an opening the end of June. Now I finish up for the summer a week later, so i cant take anytime off for op (op on saturday). I work 3 hours a day, mon to fri. In an office, no heavy lifting, just typing at desk etc.

So my question is, how long did you take off work and did you really need it?

Now if im not feeling up to it, i will be able to ring in sick but obviously i cant take the time off, i don't want them to know about this. I cna remember the last time i rang in sick, prob a year ago, so im sure i could take a few days.

Another thing is my husband is away the weekend in question, now i have 2 kids but my sister would take them. I'm a bit iffy about him been away if anything went wrong but the next opening is not until August, which is so far away!!!!!!!

Oh the dilema!!!!!!!

cheers

I recommend to take the days off. I also work in a office and was banded on May 3rd. I went to work after the 3rd day. Needless to say I didn't last all day at work. The gas pain kicked in and it was hard to keeping working. So If I had to redo this I would deff take the days off.

Took off 2 weeks; could have gone back in a week.

Everyone is different; but I had my operation on a Friday morning (3/18/2011) and was back to work Monday morning; I work in an office (have to climb stairs) and worked 10 hours that day with no problems-and have not missed a day since.

For me I think the key was walking. The hospital where I had my operation makes you stay over night- and they have you walk as soon as possible after surgery. I had heard that walking helps break-up the gas from surgery-so every time I woke up that night I walked and the next morning before coming home I walked all over the halls. I had no gas pain and felt great-only ever took a tylenol for pain. Just listen to your body.

Hope this helps. :-)

I was unemployed when I was banded, but I would say 7 days or so would be plenty. You might not feel 100% by then, but for me after day 4 or 5, I went and did normal things, like shopping or the movies.. got my hair done.

I wondered about this also. I am a night supervisor in a hospital, and needless to say, taking off a lot of work would be difficult. The nurse from my surgeons group said that "Surgery on Monday - work the next Monday". I could swing a week off, just going in for a couple of hours a day to do "computer stuff" that cannot sit for a week. I hope so anyways. As a recent "lap-appy" patient though - everyone that says to "WALK" is right! We get all surgical patients up and walking the day of surgery if possible, increase each day. I had to walk around my yard several times a day to get rid of the "gas pains" following my appy. I imagine the banding will be pretty much the same.

Thanks very much girls for all your replies. I think il go ahead with it if all goes well on Sunday. I want to try get it done before the summer, i have a weekend away planned for mid-august with family and i would love to go, so at least if i get done late June, i should be able to.

As i said i can't prebook the time off but if i need to ring in sick i will. You very good for getting back to me so quick.

I am so looking forward to changing my life for the better xx

shelly

With a desk job, I'd take a week off. And DEFINITELY send the kids away, you won't be in any shape to care for them alone. After my surgery my mom came to stay with us and take care of the kids while my husband was at work, and that allowed me to rest and heal without having to worry about the kids.

With a desk job, I'd take a week off. And DEFINITELY send the kids away, you won't be in any shape to care for them alone. After my surgery my mom came to stay with us and take care of the kids while my husband was at work, and that allowed me to rest and heal without having to worry about the kids.

Thanks for the reply. My kids are sorted for the weekend of and if all goes according to plan surgery will be done on the Sat, my husband will be home Sunday afternoon, he can get kids and mind them. I'l ring in sick for a few days. Oh i hope all goes well and i can sign on the dotted line at consultation this Sunday. I just want to get this doen as soon as, it;s been a long time comming!!

Thanks again

I had surgery on a Monday and could have been back to work on Thursday or Friday, but took the full week off because I had the time. I do a desk job and honestly the hardest part for me was the commute and "time" away from home. I was tired, not too sore that I couldn't have worked but my schedule for work is up at 4:30 a.m., drop of son at 6:00 a.m., on the bus by 6:30...work....back on the bus at 4:40, dropped off at 5:45 and pick up son around 6:15, home by 6:30/6:45......so my day was really, really long and that is the main reason I took the whole week off. I was just too exhausted to put in a full 12 hour day....3 or 4 hours would have been fine for me but my commute is a killer.

I had surgery on a Monday and could have been back to work on Thursday or Friday, but took the full week off because I had the time. I do a desk job and honestly the hardest part for me was the commute and "time" away from home. I was tired, not too sore that I couldn't have worked but my schedule for work is up at 4:30 a.m., drop of son at 6:00 a.m., on the bus by 6:30...work....back on the bus at 4:40, dropped off at 5:45 and pick up son around 6:15, home by 6:30/6:45......so my day was really, really long and that is the main reason I took the whole week off. I was just too exhausted to put in a full 12 hour day....3 or 4 hours would have been fine for me but my commute is a killer.

Thanks for the reply. Oh how do you do that routine on a normal day?????? :) Honestly i'm so lucky, i work less than 5 minutes from my home, 3.5 hours a day, monday to friday. My friend brings kids to school and i collect them. Its the perfect set up! I' just going to play it by ear but i'l take a few days off sick.

I really am looking forward to signing on the dotted line and getting my offical date.

Thanks

I say take the time off!!! You aren't going to do yourself any good if your body isn't aqble to heal properly. If you really can't swing taking the full days off maybe you can ask about working half days.