Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheat foods not bothering me?!

Yes, processed foods (premade foods) are not as satisfying because they are basically pre-digested. OK to use in a pinch, but overall, whole foods made from scratch are much better for us.

As to the question about Protein drinks. My doctor would much prefer us to get our Protein from real food, but there are times (after a fill, or perhaps a very busy morning) that a drink is appropriate. We were told if we were to use a Protein Drink to make sure it's whey Protein Isolate and not concentrate (don't remember the reason why now) and that it's not more than 25 grams of protein per serving because our bodies can only process about 20 to 25 grams of protein at one time. The rest is just excreted in our urine and that is hard on the kidneys.

That being said, the drink that I use after my workouts (to help rebuild the muscles I just tore down) is Syntrax nectar. Comes in various fruit flavors (also a few "sweets" such as chocolate & cappucino), 23 grams of protein, 0 carbs, 100 calories per scoop. A scoop is roughly 1/2 cup. I mix it with 16 oz of either crystal light or Powerade zero and 4 ice cubes. Drink 1/2 one day and save the rest for the next day.

If you're curious about the Syntrax but don't want to spend a bunch of $$ on something you're not sure you'll like, go to the website (www.si03.com) and find their email or phone number and inquire about samples. They'll usually sell samples for 1.00 each to new customers and usually shipping is free. I believe I got 14 different flavors for $14.00 . Make sure you specify the Nectars as Syntrax makes many different protein mixes and not all are weight loss friendly.

If you want something in the RTD (ready to drink) line.. I've found Muscle Milk LIGHT in vanilla creme to be acceptable. EAS carbadvantage (or was it carbcontrol?) is a second runner up. The trick to making these taste better is to get them very very cold.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You might want to consider starting a new thread with the Protein shake question if you don't get enough varied responses. I'm just thinking the question might get lost since this one has gone on for a while. :)

Thanks hon! Yeah, I totally know what you mean about having a homecooked meal compared to easy store bought stuff. Nothing compares to home stuff! Right now I'm 8 days post op and should be on to mushies soon.. That's what my doctor said. Hanging in there :) what are you eating now?

I don't think people are trying to be rude, mean or critical. They are experienced banders, many of them very successful experienced banders, and seriously when they read a post where you are still on liquids or mushies and you are eating Doritos... they are probabley going to have something to say about it. It's up to you to listen or blow them off, but if you put it out there... expect feedback. It's hard, I struggle everyday and I wish you Luck!

Of all of these posts the one that really helped me as I'm a big cheater too (not steak or anything like that but I've cheated with more than mushies)...is the fact that someone posted about the stiches in the stomach needing to heal and that the stomach grinds etc. Okay, I sort of realized that but seeing it in writing and then sitting there thinking about what I could have done to myself...back on the wagon....mushies ONLY for me for another week and even after that I think I may take it easy for awhile. I'm not really hungry and the haven't super fell off the wagon (and not with major junk food, just wanting a piece of grilled chicken). I have a problem with my head and that "because I can eat without a problem, it is okay." When reality is obvious that there is a reason for doctors orders....I'm stupid, I know.

As for the questions at hand. I have been so, so lucky with my surgery....and I think it is almost a bad thing because I've been able to eat food sooner than I should have. I do try to make wise choices but I've eaten a few doritos too. I've also take a few swipes of my sons ice cream cone...vs. getting a whole cone for myself. I do get the hunger pain but it doesn't seem like it is as bad as yours. Maybe a good suggestion would be keeping a Protein bar close by or a few sips of a shake. If I get hungry, I have SF pudding or cottage cheese (yuck) and have been bringing mashed tuna or chicken for lunch. I know I could be doing better but I also know if I tell myself "you are never allowed a bite of cake again" - I'm going to eat the whole thing. I'm happy with my band so far, I have no restriction whatsoever so I think any lack of appetite is mental for me because I do eat so much less and really don't miss it. I do have to watch that I don't start eating out of boredom which is a problem for me...not an emotional sad or happy eater, but just a bored eater.

The Realize band has no restriction in it after surgery so I'm hoping I can get back to that feeling I had right after surgery when my stomach was swollen that food wasn't interesting and a little bit made me really happy.

Good luck

I don't think people are trying to be rude, mean or critical. They are experienced banders, many of them very successful experienced banders, and seriously when they read a post where you are still on liquids or mushies and you are eating Doritos... they are probabley going to have something to say about it. It's up to you to listen or blow them off, but if you put it out there... expect feedback. It's hard, I struggle everyday and I wish you Luck!

That's exactly what I was trying to convey. That eating beyond what your surgeon has prescribed for you could possibly be detrimental to healing and lead to possible detrimental consequences in the future. However, everyone has to make their own choices and live with the consequences.

I think I'm through with this thread. About to go unsubscribe to it. Best of luck to all concerned. :)

Hi Everyone. Thank you Phranp and all the others who inboxed me or friended me. Thank you for appreciating me being myself. I have to be me whether I'm online or walking around in my everyday skin. I wanted to tell you guys that I have totally conquered the Lion in my belly. And the cure for it was exactly what i posted. Eating home-made food from scratch! Today i'm 13 days post op and 13lbs lighter than I was the day of my surgery! YAAAY Me. And since I've been eating my granny's delicious food I have felt awesome and energectic.I saw my doc today, told him about my indescretions that almost sighted a riot! lol He laughed at me and said "Take care of your band sweetie hang in there a couple more weeks for me then you can have any of that in small moderation." He says he's ok with 4 doritos in 3 more weeks!lol He said matter of fact I can have 6! So he made me feel a lot better. He didn't trip so why should i. Although I do believe I was the first to admit it to him. He said what I was eating was great and to keep it up.(excluding the temporary lasp) He also told me that when he says full liquids and mushy food he means anything that i can get to turn into liquid in my mouth before I swallow and that included soft mac and cheese, eggs, spaghetti in marinara sauce just chew chew chew. He told me that week 4,5&6 I didn't have to worry about chewing so much and that i could have... wait for it...A tender steak and salad on week 6! I'm so excited. Here's something else that surprised me, he said that I could drink Water after my meals that I didn't have to wait. How bout that? I thought that was a universal lapband law,but apparently not. Anyway I'm pretty well content right now with my real mashed potatoes, soft noodles fresh butter Beans and peas from my granny's garden along with fresh sweet potatos. Yummy. Thats what I'm eating and i'm sticking to it. Oh I also found out that Ice cream is not a cheat food!!!!! Goes down real smooth on a swole belly according to my doc! of course you know you gotta measure it out ,choose like churned the good lowfat no sugar added. Its some good choices out there now. So guess whats new on my list? lol I just knew in my heart it shouldn't be this horrible and that I just got to get creative which I did well my granny and aunt did but it worked y'all and my doc was please. So Good luck to all! Lets keep it Kracking!

I made the huge mistake of trying the food that are high in calories. like doughnuts, chips, bread. hamburgers. big big mistake for me it was better if i thought i couldn't eat them. i was doing much better not knowing now i find it hard to stay away. i opened pandoras box and i can't find a key to lock it back up.:angry::(:o

Well said...Amen. I feel exactly what you are saying. It is harder for me to control it now but I'm hoping that once i get that first fill and feel some type of restriction (fingers crossed) it will help me with the control. I've been very good and only had a few doritos, one oreo and two licks of my sons ice cream cone (hey, I had to stop it from running down his hand, right?)...so that is really good comparing to what I might have done pre-band. I wish I had that padlock...

Hi Everyone. Thank you Phranp and all the others who inboxed me or friended me. Thank you for appreciating me being myself. I have to be me whether I'm online or walking around in my everyday skin. I wanted to tell you guys that I have totally conquered the Lion in my belly. And the cure for it was exactly what i posted. Eating home-made food from scratch! Today i'm 13 days post op and 13lbs lighter than I was the day of my surgery! YAAAY Me. And since I've been eating my granny's delicious food I have felt awesome and energectic.I saw my doc today, told him about my indescretions that almost sighted a riot! lol He laughed at me and said "Take care of your band sweetie hang in there a couple more weeks for me then you can have any of that in small moderation." He says he's ok with 4 doritos in 3 more weeks!lol He said matter of fact I can have 6! So he made me feel a lot better. He didn't trip so why should i. Although I do believe I was the first to admit it to him. He said what I was eating was great and to keep it up.(excluding the temporary lasp) He also told me that when he says full liquids and mushy food he means anything that i can get to turn into liquid in my mouth before I swallow and that included soft mac and cheese,eggs, spaghetti in marinara sauce just chew chew chew. He told me that week 4,5&6 I didn't have to worry about chewing so much and that i could have... wait for it...A tender steak and salad on week 6! I'm so excited. Here's something else that surprised me, he said that I could drink Water after my meals that I didn't have to wait. How bout that? I thought that was a universal lapband law,but apparently not. Anyway I'm pretty well content right now with my real mashed potatoes, soft noodles fresh butter Beans and peas from my granny's garden along with fresh sweet potatos. Yummy. Thats what I'm eating and i'm sticking to it. Oh I also found out that Ice cream is not a cheat food!!!!! Goes down real smooth on a swole belly according to my doc! of course you know you gotta measure it out ,choose like churned the good lowfat no sugar added. Its some good choices out there now. So guess whats new on my list? lol I just knew in my heart it shouldn't be this horrible and that I just got to get creative which I did well my granny and aunt did but it worked y'all and my doc was please. So Good luck to all! Lets keep it Kracking!

That's so good to hear honey! I am on my mushy stage now and just had some tofu....uhhhh...I think I didn't chew it well enough because now it feels STUCK.

I'm not in pain, but there is discomfort. My doctor said I can eat anything that I can turn into liquid in my mouth by chewing too. But I'm sticking to yogurt, tofu, refried Beans and eggs for now. Oh and I did treat myself to 1/8 of an avocado :D We are on our way girlly! And congrats on the weight loss. I'm down nearly 24 lbs since a few days before the surgery!! Keep me updated!