Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheat foods not bothering me?!

You certainly can eat junk food, and I do on occasion. Sure it's fine to have an Oreo on occasion, don't worry. It's ok to mess up. But you have to learn not to justify eating bad things. I do it, oh it's only 1 it'll be fine. It's not good, Not gonna lie, I've been doing it a bit the past 2 weeks, and guess what? The scale didn't move. I think everyone is just saying don't "test" the band. Some people post like "oh I can eat 4 cups of Pasta why is that? The band isn't stopping me" it's because the band doesn't work that way. The band is essentially diet and exercise, but it keeps your from being hungry all the time. Which is a big help! Everyone is just trying to help you. The bottom line is, we are on a diet, you have to watch calories. If you wish to include these things in your diet it's fine. But then some people eat these things and don't lose weight, then they wonder why. I think we are just saying don't get too excited about it. It IS about portion size, but 2 Oreo's is still 140 calories. That's like half a meals worth of calories. 1 cupcake has more calories than a bandster meal. I know it's not eating the whole sleeve, but it's still not a great food choice. You have to put things in perspective.

This is what I do know and I have full perspective from where I'm sitting right now. There is no such thing as bad food.There is a such thing as a better food choice but that depends on who you are and what your specific needs are depending on where you at. I know and I posted that I know what I'm suppose to not have during this phase in the lapband surgery because my tummy needs to heal.Which is why I labled it "Cheat Foods" But you better beleive this, afterwards when I'm able to eat all solids if I decide I want 2 oreos,sister I'm gonna have those two oreos and get on down real happy and smooth. Fully aware of how many cals are in it. If it takes that type of strictness for you then great for you,but being that strict doesn't work well for me or most other people. And I think Its crazy to make people afraid of eating oreos or doritos when we know that in itself is not whats keeping them from dropping the weight. Its how many of those oreos plus doritos you ate in addition to everything else. I'm not justifying anything how is eating a cookie or 4 doritos bad eating behavior. Too extreme. Your're bound to have many mess ups if thats how you look at food. Its a no win situation. Anyway goodluck to you with the way you're doing your bandster thing and goodluck to everyone else who decides to do it differently.

I agree with the above posts. My 2cents is to stop the juice and the milk. You are drinking the calories rather than eating. Orange juice has tons of sugar, natural sugar but still sugar. It will cause your blood sugar to spike wich leads to your body storing the sugar as fat. Once you get to solid food, you will be much better off eating an orange, then you get Fiber which helps control blood sugar. You will find it more filling as well. Eat low fat cheese for your Calcium. Good luck on your journey!

No can do my doc told me to do real fruit juice and milk.

I feel the same way, right now im finding it harder and harder not to sneak food!!!! I got my lap band on April 15, and snuck 1 soft taco from taco bell yesterday. I feel awful about it, and im really upset with myself that is did this. Any tips on ways to make yourself less susceptible to giving in? I honestly feel like I have a food addiction also, and its comforting to see that someone has been successful in getting on their way to ridding themselves of this habit.

Hey tryingtolose What I think is horrible is the fact that having one soft shell taco made you feel that bad. To me thats rediculous especially if you was hungry! and if you're on the same diet that they have the rest of us on then I'm sure you were very hungry. But Even worse than that is the responses you got just from eating a taco! If you keep listening to some of these people you're not gonna do to well because Having a taco when you're hungry and deeming it as bad food is just soooo wrong. I'm sure you're old enough not to have to sneak food if you're old enough to drive youself to get it. So who do you have to answer to other than yourself. What I think people gotta to understand is its ok to have different food as long as its in moderation. I didn't read where you bought a 6pack of tacos and scarfed it all down with a diet coke. You said u had 1 taco. Next time i think i would be like "I'm going to have 1 taco from tacobell and enjoy it and go on enjoying the rest of my day and my diet." Or just substitute it for something else. that day. Just dont do it everyday allday. Lighten up and those of yall giving her this mission impossible advice yall need to lighten up also. Trust me tryingtolose they eating more than tacos!lol

OMGGGG I made instant mashed potatoes a few days ago and the instructions said to thin it out to soupy consistency and wow..it was not yummy.

But it was better than being on broth so I didn't complain. OJ sounds so good right now. Can we have that?

Ok Let me start off by saying Instant potatos are gross no matter how you fix them!lol My doc said real potatos so go for it!lol Now my Doc also said Real fruit juice and skim or 1% milk. I emphasize My Doc ,because I realize that everyones doc is different. But my Sis had a dif doc than I at a center of excellency and she had the same rules as I. Make Real Mashed potatoes Babs!lol Just thinner smoother season them good tho. I like yukon golds!lol my np wanted me to just stick with the potatoes any style potato Soup even. Use full recipe just blend blend blend. Just remember I guess I have some restriction since I cant eat a lot in one setting.

Are instant mashed potatoes even good for you? I rather have the real thing and not put the bad stuff (butter and such) in it. I can do thinned out real potatoes because it's not so bad. Thanks!!!

As for other foods, I'm living on Soups and Jello right now. I need to get used to having Protein shakes. I know many people are starting to love their daily Protein Shakes and I would really like that for myself too. It just the getting used to part right now.

We can do this!! I'm so thankful for LBT.. it's a lifesaver

Healthy candid yams use splenda instead of sugar, light butter cut down by a 1/3 of what you normally use, vanilla, nutmeg a little cinnamon just a drizzle of honey all of this is for a whole qurt size pot. Remember Fresh sweet potatos make its own juice. cook til done then blend til smooth. yummie! just an idea. for all the Mushy Eaters that like healthy soul food! lol had to figure out ways not to "Cheat" If you're pass the mushy state slice and cook til done. If you like them firmer when they soften in there own juice turn down low and let simmer til they stiffen up.oh I do like to add just a pinch of salt to my healthy version just for taste. since i had to replace the sugar for splenda.

Wheeler, you are experiencing what some of us call "soft signs" that you are full. For many of us hiccups are a great signal to stop eating before we get into trouble. When I feel a pain just under my sternum, it can be a sign that things are starting to get stuck. If I stop then and wait a bit, I am usually Ok. If not, it can lead to baaad things.

I can still eat some breads, just not the really soft ones like fresh Bagels. But then, I am not ordered onto a low carb diet. So I eat all foods, just in moderation. As you get your fills, you might not be able to continue to eat breads. I had a very nasty break-up with bagels. angry.gif I don't miss them any more!

For me, one of the strangest things that I did not expect, is that when I am hungry, my hunger feels exactly the same as it did before being banded. I would still swear to you that I could eat the same amount if you asked me when I was ready for my next meal.

At three years out, the difference is that I am not constantly hungry like I used to be. I eat my meal and I am good to go for about 3-5 hours depending on what I ate. Plus, I KNOW that I will not be able to eat what I used to eat. So, I plan my meals/portions accordingly.

Teekii, did you have a hiatal hernia repaired during your band surgery? Sometimes that can cause some extra pain during recovery. I think once you get moved onto more solid foods you will find that it sustains you longer. liquids go right through the band leaving you feeling very empty. The post-op phases suck, that is a fact. But this too shall pass.

Wheeler, you are experiencing what some of us call "soft signs" that you are full. For many of us hiccups are a great signal to stop eating before we get into trouble. When I feel a pain just under my sternum, it can be a sign that things are starting to get stuck. If I stop then and wait a bit, I am usually Ok. If not, it can lead to baaad things.

I can still eat some breads, just not the really soft ones like fresh Bagels. But then, I am not ordered onto a low carb diet. So I eat all foods, just in moderation. As you get your fills, you might not be able to continue to eat breads. I had a very nasty break-up with bagels. angry.gif I don't miss them any more!

For me, one of the strangest things that I did not expect, is that when I am hungry, my hunger feels exactly the same as it did before being banded. I would still swear to you that I could eat the same amount if you asked me when I was ready for my next meal.

At three years out, the difference is that I am not constantly hungry like I used to be. I eat my meal and I am good to go for about 3-5 hours depending on what I ate. Plus, I KNOW that I will not be able to eat what I used to eat. So, I plan my meals/portions accordingly.

Teekii, did you have a hiatal hernia repaired during your band surgery? Sometimes that can cause some extra pain during recovery. I think once you get moved onto more solid foods you will find that it sustains you longer. liquids go right through the band leaving you feeling very empty. The post-op phases suck, that is a fact. But this too shall pass.

Hi Cocoabean as far as I know I didnt have a hernia or anything repaired during surgery I did however have to have some type of biopsy 2days before my surgery. During the UGI they found some type of growth in my tummy that needed to be checked out before I could recieve my band. I did have to be put under in order to have this done. In the back of my mind I wondered if thats why my pain seems to get a lil extreme especially right after the surgey. Thanks for the encouragement. I will say this. I am so tired of eating and being hungry. lol Although the food my granny fixes for me does seem to stick with me longer. Ready to get over this hump.

Hi girls!

Your support means a lot to me. I do feel really bad about my self already... Teekki, when i read you post I felt less of a failure. I tought about posting about my situation, but after reading how some people feel that if you don't have perfect behavior and self control, you don't deserve to be banded I decided not to.

Thank you for starting this thread and being so caring and supportive. That's what I needed. I'm perfectly aware of the do's and don'ts... I also know that I have a disfunctional relationship with food and believe me, I'm trying my best to stay on track. I was self pay... I want this to work...

Hearing about your little sister is encouraging!!!

Thanks everybody!!!

I was banded on April 19, and I had a small slice of pizza over the weekend at a friend's birthday dinner. It was my 1st "doughy" thing in a month. I enjoyed it, but it really made me constipated and I've had to have Milk of Magnesia ever since.

I also felt horribly guilty about eating it.

Other cheats include a few jelly Beans and 1 Peanut Butter egg my Mom had given me for Easter.

I've learned that you can, as you say, eat most things, as long as you chew them well. However, as the others say, the band isn't going to stop us from wanting those things or being able to eat them, it's just going to make us full faster.

If we eat crappy things, we will just not lose weight, because the empty calories will still convert to fat, and are not the energy our bodies need.

My favorite Protein shake is some vanilla whey with Peanut Butter. I also advise you to try my special "Thanksgiving" Protein shake: it's raw pumpkin, vanilla whey, cinnamon, some Splenda or Truvia, some skim milk, and some fat free whipped topping. It's like pumpkin pie heaven!!! It will def feel like you are cheating when you are not. :)

Hi all I keep hearing you guys refer to protien shakes. What are you guys drinking? And does it taste good? Or make you stay fuller longer. My Doc has not told me anything about any protien shakes with whey or anything like that. I was only told to stay away from diet shakes.... OAN Something I have notice is if I eat real food that you prepare from scratch at home it does seem to tame the lion more. More than already prepared foods. If that helps anyone. what I mean is homemade mushies like Beans, sweet potatoes,real mashed potatos, homemade Soups, etc... I told my Granny her food seems to fill my belly up better and not hurt me so guess what My grandparents who live 30 miles away from me bought me fresh homemade mushies today!lol(my doc said it was all good food!) gotta love em. Somebody loves me.(thought it was a cute story to share) Tip Get your granny,mommy aunt whoever is the good cook in the family to prepare you some good stuff to eat. Down 7lbs! Yaaay. Instead of eating Soup or broth from a can have someone who has the time make you some from scratch. Plus It will make you feel special during this difficult time.

Hi girls!

Your support means a lot to me. I do feel really bad about my self already... Teekki, when i read you post I felt less of a failure. I tought about posting about my situation, but after reading how some people feel that if you don't have perfect behavior and self control, you don't deserve to be banded I decided not to.

Thank you for starting this thread and being so caring and supportive. That's what I needed. I'm perfectly aware of the do's and don'ts... I also know that I have a disfunctional relationship with food and believe me, I'm trying my best to stay on track. I was self pay... I want this to work...

Hearing about your little sister is encouraging!!!

Thanks everybody!!!

Hi Eda I'm so glad that you felt encouraged.That makes me happy and it makes it so worth it to endure all the not so positive comments!lol I sure hope something turns around for you so that you won't feel so bad about youself. Maybe find some new friends or a group of people that will offer more understanding and not criticism,idk. I'm so used to not caring what others think of me but I still make it a point to only keep company with people who make me feel my personal best or least encourages me to to keep striving to be that. Harsh critical people no matter how much they love me I don't hang with. Best Wishes Eda

Teekkii!! My mom made me homemade stock and Soup too! She was so good to me this week and made anything I wanted to eat. I'm down 20 lbs total and she's so proud of me.. Always complimenting me. I haven't had that in 10 years and it touched me that she cares so much about my health and happiness. You have a good family (sounds like granny is awesome!)

Opps, I spelled your name wrong. "teekii" sorry typo! And another note .. broth cubes have about 900mg of sodium. YIKES!

Opps, I spelled your name wrong. "teekii" sorry typo! And another note .. broth cubes have about 900mg of sodium. YIKES!

Hey Babs sounds like your Mom rocks too!lol I know can you beleive the sodium and sugar in all that pre-made stuff! I think it may have also contributed to me not feeling well. Since I had been watching my weight I had been doing a lot of cooking but when I had to go on this band diet I was eating all this store bought food,and I was not feeling well. The minute my granny and my aunt start cooking my food themselves I start feeling way better! I've been eating there food for a couple of days now even my energy is up. People listen to me and Babs Its something to the real food thing!lol Happy for you Babs!