Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why no homemade protein shakes?

I really don't think anyone here is "evil." The topic got diverted when someone made a claim that could be really detrimental to someone's health (or the health of anyone who ready the thread). Clarifying, IMO, and proper education, is warranted. :) As is finding out just what credentials people may have (or do not have) when it comes to advising/educating.

Yes, the topic was related to homemade Protein shakes. Along with that, the topic started gave us some other information (like that her doctor is not prescribing a preop diet but she wants to do one anyway). So, you see, there's topics within the original question. This is a DISCUSSION forum, afterall. ;)

Hmm. My own obesity has absolutely nothing to do with how I care for my patients. My "needing a lap band" has to do with me having a disease and an addiction. If you don't understand that, perhaps you don't belong on a lapband support board. I don't see where I was unkind. I was only asking some questions to try to better understand tsomeone and their beliefs. I didn't call anyone names; did you? (yes, you did)

Oh, and being an RN for 16 years in no way means I need to "get out of it." I'm very good at what I do, love what I do, and most of my patients thank me for what I do. It's a good thing all-around.

I take excellent care of myself in many respects. Being obese does not mean I do not take myself. It's a disease, and one that I am actively treating. (gee I guess that means I'm actually taking care of myself)

I get my information from medical texts, journals, and health care professionals. Not Google quite so much, but thanks for the excellent suggestion. :huh:

Are you kidding? An obese nurse can't take properly care for her patients? If anything, having our own issues makes us more compassionate and aware of their needs. Did you raise a family? If so can we assume you couldn't properly take care of your children since you couldn't take care of yourself? I began working in healthcare at the age of 16 and got my license at 21. That was 30 years ago. The issue I'm having here is with a certain forum member who states her opinions as facts. That could be detrimental to the health and well being of other members who choose to believe her. While its true that not all doctors, including my own, require a pre-op diet, I have the education and knowledge to know its can do nothing but good to do so.

This board never ceases to amaze me. How something can turn so quickly and get so nasty is incredible.

I know someone who's first surgery was cancelled because she did not stick to the preop diet her Dr ordered. She did her own thing and had lost some weight but when she was in surgery the liver was found to be too big and the surgery put off for a couple more weeks.

The best advice is always to listen to your Dr and ask LOTS OF QUESTIONS. I don't like taking anything at face value, I like to know WHY. If you don't trust your Dr then change Dr's but be very wary of advice on an internet forum. We have no idea who is posting the advice, what their qualifications are and what their motivation is. That does not mean that we should not use forums such as these for support as that aspect is invaluable but it should never replace the advice of your own Dr.

They're fine as long as you pay attention to what you're putting in them! ;)