Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 days post-op left side stabbing pain

Hi All. I'm in quite bit of discomfort as a write this so please excuse the lack of details. I had my banding done last thursday april28. Today I'm experiencing sharp stabbing pains on my left side and belly button. I was on Clear Liquids days 1-4. days 5 and 6 full liquids next really soft blended food. Still liquidty. I've been tolerating the food pretty good. liquids at first was the hardest to keep down,but now no trouble with that either. I haven't had a bowl movement since the surgery,so after calling my doc office like 3 x's I decided to take a capful of mirolax with oj on my own. I also took a few table spoons of anti-gas med which is giving me some relief. So I'm hoping the pain is just gas,but I can't be sure. could some one help me out with some ideas or if they've experienced anything similar. I'm pretty sure the nurses have not told the doc that i've called so when i call back i'm sure I wont be as polite.I admit I haven't been doing a lot of moving around. I was under so much stress leading up to the surgery that all I've been able to do is sleep and rest. Its been so long since i've done that. but now I'm ready to move around and cant because of the discomfort in my stomach.

wow a 120 views no response from anyone...figured it was just me . Gee thanks everyone wonderful support site.

I got banded the day after you. Congrats on getting your lapband. I'm not sure why you have sharp pains there. is your port in that area? If it is that might be your cause of pain. I know if I aciddently twist to far I get pain. I know you have called the doctors office already, but is there someone that you can call also. I'm as new as you are to this also, sorry can't help but I'm here if needing to talk.

I got banded the day after you. Congrats on getting your lapband. I'm not sure why you have sharp pains there. is your port in that area? If it is that might be your cause of pain. I know if I aciddently twist to far I get pain. I know you have called the doctors office already, but is there someone that you can call also. I'm as new as you are to this also, sorry can't help but I'm here if needing to talk.

Thanks for replying even if its just to offer support. My baby sis had this done back in 09. But to my surprise she hasn't offered any support. She hasn't even called to check on me and we used to talk everyday prior to this. Go figure. Anyway after about 5 tablespoons of anti-gas meds I finally got some relief. So I'm just wondering if gas plays a big part of pain after the surgery? i'm feeling much better today. Was really scared last night. I wonder if anyone could offer any input on rather gas medication is a good investment after banding.

I think its a question for a doctor

Umm,wow thankElie. It looks like a lot of these discussions are questions for a doctor,but it hasn't stopped anyone from chiming in an opinion. A doc wasn't available last night when I was in pain so i was just looking for some ideas.

No need to be so angry at ppl! Wow buddy, maybe you had 111000 views and nobody answered because they dont have the answer, not because they hate you and dot want to help you!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason why i am saying that is because ppl answers might even make you more worried. Maybe go to ER, or something if your doc is bot available. It could be gaz, ur port, an infection!! But 7 days post op you shouldnt wait when somethig seems wrong.

But seriously plz change your attitude!!!!

And for gaz, yes it hurt a lot, walking helps the most, and hot pads. Meds dont work for that. Its not the same kind of gaz pain

No need to be so angry at ppl! Wow buddy, maybe you had 111000 views and nobody answered because they dont have the answer, not because they hate you and dot want to help you!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason why i am saying that is because ppl answers might even make you more worried. Maybe go to ER, or something if your doc is bot available. It could be gaz, ur port, an infection!! But 7 days post op you shouldnt wait when somethig seems wrong.

But seriously plz change your attitude!!!!

I dont see anyplace where I stated that people who dont know me hate me. Thats silly. Like i said the statement about calling a doc was annoying to me or oh um "dont wait when something seems wrong" statement sounds a bit condensending,who wouldn't know that, so maybe your attitude needs to change. I have questions just like everyone else who could also be asking a doc but decided to run it across the forum. Your post after your "change your attitude speech" was more helpful than your prior post. You could've just did like the others and not responded. And by the way for anyone else who just might have similiar symptoms going on the anti-gas meds do seem to be helping. If I ever hear back from my doc I'll let anyone who's interested in knowing if gas can cause someone to feel that bad after the surgery.

On my first surgery (GALLBLADDER) They filled me full of air, I looked like a round balloon. The gas was painful. I saw the Doc about 10 days later for stitches to be removed, and told him about the pain. He said when you walk, it moves. As a result it comes out. It sure did ! for a long time So you will see if you go walking some, does it help.

I would also call my Doctor. Good Luck.

My gosh? U serious? I am condesending?

You freak out because no one give you an answer, i answer, i give you my opinion, to go see a doc and you go mental! From what u where saying i would have went to see a doc at the ER! i get told off for that? Wow! If u write posts but the answers need to be exactly what you want to hear dont write any!!!!

Really now stop it and grow up! Maybe that is why your baby sister is not so supportive and the doctor seems to ignore u!

Anyways ill shut up, and good luck and hopefully u become a happier person !

U said u could barely type because of the pain!! I didnt hae that or hear anyone have that! If it was that severe i would have went to ER!!!!!

We went through surgery! We had gas pain! I know how much it can hurt! And pains for gas do not give relief because it is not the same type of gas! My gosh!

I am tellig you because i tried and talk to looootts of ppl who had the surgery! Walking and heating pads do work best, and time. But really do as you wish