Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was reading up on the lapband last night and read that the average person only looses 45 to 55 % of their access weight with the lapband. I wonder if that's true...So in other words If i need to loose 100 pounds, statistically speaking, I will prob. only loose 50 pounds. That is discouraging to me...very! I hate to pay 14,900.00 out of my pocket plus go through surgery unless I would loose 80% to 100 % of what I need to loose.

my dr told me that statistically i could lose 50% of the weight with MINIMAL COMPLIANCE. i asked what that meant and he said that statistically if you try minimally then you will lose 50% of the weight but if you adhere to proper eating and exercise that you can lose all of it.

not sure how true that is, but that's what i was told.

If people aren't correctly educated before and after surgery and expect the band to do all the work, they fail. Also some people do work the band correctly but still fail. For the most part though I'd say those failures don't just happen- most of the time it's user error ;)

ETA: OR the band has a mechanical failure, a leak, a slip... but I mean for those who don't have any mechanical problem and just don't lose "much" weight.

Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. If you use it the way it is intended to be used, you will lose all the weight you need!

Hey I look at it this way...I had about 80 lbs to lose and if I lose 40 and get stuck at least that is 40 lbs that is gone for GOOD! Unlike any other "diet" I have been on where the 40 lbs leaves for 6 months then comes back with 10 "friends" causing that gradual but REAL climb up the scale. I would rather lose 40 and maintain than lose 40 and gain, lose 50 and gain, etc etc so look on the bright side :) My doctor also told me the same as above....that I will still have to put in the work and I will get out what I put in. There are many many success stories where people lose all or nearly all of their excess weight but the stats have to figure in everybody including those to "eat around the band" and dont lose. You can do this and so can the rest of us on our current journies :)

Hey I look at it this way...I had about 80 lbs to lose and if I lose 40 and get stuck at least that is 40 lbs that is gone for GOOD! Unlike any other "diet" I have been on where the 40 lbs leaves for 6 months then comes back with 10 "friends" causing that gradual but REAL climb up the scale. I would rather lose 40 and maintain than lose 40 and gain, lose 50 and gain, etc etc so look on the bright side :) My doctor also told me the same as above....that I will still have to put in the work and I will get out what I put in. There are many many success stories where people lose all or nearly all of their excess weight but the stats have to figure in everybody including those to "eat around the band" and dont lose. You can do this and so can the rest of us on our current journies :)

This reply was stated very well...I have not looked at this way before...Thank you!

I was reading up on the lapband last night and read that the average person only looses 45 to 55 % of their access weight with the lapband. I wonder if that's true...So in other words If i need to loose 100 pounds, statistically speaking, I will prob. only loose 50 pounds. That is discouraging to me...very! I hate to pay 14,900.00 out of my pocket plus go through surgery unless I would loose 80% to 100 % of what I need to loose.

Don't be discouraged! Statistics are just that: statistics. I'm sure they include people who haven't lost any weight into those averages as well. Plus, I think doctors tell their patients this, so if they don't lose all the excess weight they can't say their doctor lied to them or they will be prepared mentally if they don't lose all the weight. I feel it is possible to lose it all! I have faith in myself (for once in my life) and faith in my band. I just CANNOT eat like I used to, the band won't let me, and that is one contributing factor to my current success. As you can tell from my ticker I want to lose 188 pounds. There are many people on here that probably look at that stat and gasp and say she will NEVER do that and there are probably some medical professionals that believe the same. Personally, I know that it can be done. I've seen too many success stories. I have NEVER been slim or a normal size in my life and I finally feel as though I have the opportunity to make that happen. I'm almost already to that 45 to 55% stat. Maybe I can hit a homerun and get that 100%. I'll probably already be satisfied with my body before I even hit that stat. I'm already fitting into size 20s. I don't like statistics anyway (I took too many stats classes in college). LOL!

If people aren't correctly educated before and after surgery and expect the band to do all the work, they fail. Also some people do work the band correctly but still fail. For the most part though I'd say those failures don't just happen- most of the time it's user error ;)

ETA: OR the band has a mechanical failure, a leak, a slip... but I mean for those who don't have any mechanical problem and just don't lose "much" weight.

Rachel - have you lost all your weight since surgery? 30 lbs in 1 month is awesome!

Rachel - have you lost all your weight since surgery? 30 lbs in 1 month is awesome!

I wish! Nope, 11 pounds before surgery, 19 since.