Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever get to where you don't feel like a fat person?

I'm being banded this Friday, and I keep imagining what it's going to feel like not being fat. I've been this way for 25 years. I have no clue how it feels to be a "normal-sized" adult. As I was learning my identity, forming my personality, etc, I was always the fat girl. I was wondering if that feeling ever goes away.

I'm being banded this Friday, and I keep imagining what it's going to feel like not being fat. I've been this way for 25 years. I have no clue how it feels to be a "normal-sized" adult. As I was learning my identity, forming my personality, etc, I was always the fat girl. I was wondering if that feeling ever goes away.

BEST WISHES And CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU......I TOO AM DEALING WITH THOSE EXACT THOUGHTS...........but with God's help I will get over that hump sooner than later:)

and also better decision making on my health awareness

Well, my own personal experience is that your self esteem goes through the roof... but you will always be your own worst critic. :/ :)

Agreed, I am, from what others tell me, looking good. I still feel fat but not the fat I was. I know that I have an overhang in the front due to hysterectomy and loosing stomach muscle many years ago. Many people have tummy tucks, I choose not too. I can hide my tummy with clothes, but see it when I am nude. You will get past the feeling of being the "fatgirl". That was my motivator. I was tired of being the "fat lady" in the choir in my new church. Best of luck. Karen

Agreed, I am, from what others tell me, looking good. I still feel fat but not the fat I was. I know that I have an overhang in the front due to hysterectomy and loosing stomach muscle many years ago. Many people have tummy tucks, I choose not too. I can hide my tummy with clothes, but see it when I am nude. You will get past the feeling of being the "fatgirl". That was my motivator. I was tired of being the "fat lady" in the choir in my new church. Best of luck. Karen

I'm at the same place you are. I look better than ever, but I see the loose arm skin and the belly fat. I always thought that people who wore a size 10 were thin. Well, I don't think that anymore, but I do think I'm normal. I had quite the revelation this year, when I went to parent's night at the high school and realized that in almost every class, I was the thinnest person in the room. Yeah, maybe I'm not "fat" anymore, I'm not sure I'll ever feel thin.

One more thing....after years of being the fat girl, I find I'm an advocate for every overweight person out there. Whenever someone trashes someone for being overweight, I am always chewing them out. The minute you lose weight, the thin people start telling you about the fat and lazy so-and-so they know. I feel the need to point out that they have no clue what obesity feels like and most overweight people have spend years trying to lose weight by any means possible. I may look normal, but I'll always be a part of the fat team.

Cindy

What a good question! I remember weighing 200 pounds in 8th grade, so I've always felt this way too.

I'm at the same place you are. I look better than ever, but I see the loose arm skin and the belly fat. I always thought that people who wore a size 10 were thin. Well, I don't think that anymore, but I do think I'm normal. I had quite the revelation this year, when I went to parent's night at the high school and realized that in almost every class, I was the thinnest person in the room. Yeah, maybe I'm not "fat" anymore, I'm not sure I'll ever feel thin.

One more thing....after years of being the fat girl, I find I'm an advocate for every overweight person out there. Whenever someone trashes someone for being overweight, I am always chewing them out. The minute you lose weight, the thin people start telling you about the fat and lazy so-and-so they know. I feel the need to point out that they have no clue what obesity feels like and most overweight people have spend years trying to lose weight by any means possible. I may look normal, but I'll always be a part of the fat team.

Cindy

Well said Cindy! I totally agree with you.

i was only 50lbs overweight when i got banded but i have lost 18lbs and i already feel vastly different about myself. and my sister was a size 24 when she got gastric bypass and is now a size 4. she was always overweight from the time she was a child and she said that it changed how she felt, in a positive way. at first she was continually startled by the reflection in the mirror but she said she got used to it and no longer sees herself as overweight.

I have lost almost 50 pounds so far -- about half of my ultimate goal. I'm still getting used to being thinner. Some days I feel like Olive Oyl and some days I still feel heavy.

One thing that really helps me is strength training. That makes a very noticeable, positive difference in my body. My skin may not be perfect, but a little muscle sure looks good. It's great for my mood and motivation too. Bonus: muscle tissue burns more calories night and day than any other kind, so it also helps with weight loss. Going to the gym or even just doing sit-ups and wall push-ups at home makes a big difference.

Best of luck to you!

To look at me you would think that I'm the most confident person you ever met. But let me tell you, it's just an act. That little fat girl is alive and well and living in the back of my mind every single day. She never lets me forget the 40+ years that she was in control. It's ok though...she keeps me humble and keeps my compassion for others alive.

Good topic......

I don't know if I will ever get over my mind thinking I am fat. When I go shopping I still pick up items that are way too big for me.

I went from a size 16 to a perfect size 6 now, but mentally I am not there yet. I know this sounds strange, but I am struggling to maintain my goal weight.

I keep losing and if I try to eat more it all comes back up.

The learning stage of this process changes all the time - I'm up for the task.

ready2

i'm in your boat---i've reached my goal of 150# and my surgery was with dr ortiz in Tijuana on 2/7/07 at 274#. I am in a place where i can;t keep food down, not sure if my band area is inflamed or something else. Possibly mental.....i don't feel hungry and i have no cravings but i need to get some nutrition, i had to start crushing Vitamins so i can get those down and drinking pedialyte and gatorade to get the electrolytes balanced but i'm just frustrated. this is my like 5th post asking for advice and no one has answered yet. i don't want to upset anyone who has stalled out...but this is a real problem. thanks, and also i've not been able to find a doc around st. louis to service a mexican band so if anyone knows of one i'd appreciate the info. otherwise i'll be booking a flight back to tijuana.

roxanne

To look at me you would think that I'm the most confident person you ever met. But let me tell you, it's just an act. That little fat girl is alive and well and living in the back of my mind every single day. She never lets me forget the 40+ years that she was in control. It's ok though...she keeps me humble and keeps my compassion for others alive.

This is so me . . . I totally agree with every word you said.

ready2

i'm in your boat---i've reached my goal of 150# and my surgery was with dr ortiz in Tijuana on 2/7/07 at 274#. I am in a place where i can;t keep food down, not sure if my band area is inflamed or something else. Possibly mental.....i don't feel hungry and i have no cravings but i need to get some nutrition, i had to start crushing Vitamins so i can get those down and drinking pedialyte and gatorade to get the electrolytes balanced but i'm just frustrated. this is my like 5th post asking for advice and no one has answered yet. i don't want to upset anyone who has stalled out...but this is a real problem. thanks, and also i've not been able to find a doc around st. louis to service a mexican band so if anyone knows of one i'd appreciate the info. otherwise i'll be booking a flight back to Tijuana.< /strong>

roxanne

You need to go see a Dr. See if there is a Fill Center USA close to you. You need to have a Fluro and make sure everything is okay. You probably just need a small amount of fill taken out like .2ccs or something like that a small amount can make a huge difference in eating and not eating.

If you can not find one get on that plane. You can always fly to Houston there are several Dr. that take people who were banded by someone else.

Fill Centers USA

Farmington, MO 63640Phone: 866-345-5872Distance: 56 miles Click here for mapEmail: provider@fillcentersusa.com

Projected Opening Date: Open Status: Accepting Appointments Business Hours: Call for Appointment Availability

Hope that helps!

Cheri

thanks,i'll looo into farmington

roxane

This is so me . . . I totally agree with every word you said.

You need to go see a Dr. See if there is a Fill Center USA close to you. You need to have a Fluro and make sure everything is okay. You probably just need a small amount of fill taken out like .2ccs or something like that a small amount can make a huge difference in eating and not eating.

If you can not find one get on that plane. You can always fly to Houston there are several Dr. that take people who were banded by someone else.

Fill Centers USA

Farmington, MO 63640Phone: 866-345-5872Distance: 56 miles Click here for mapEmail: provider@fillcentersusa.com

Projected Opening Date: Open Status: Accepting Appointments Business Hours: Call for Appointment Availability

Hope that helps!

Cheri

I suppose that is an issue I should deal with at some point. I was fat for 40 of my 42 years of life and though I have not been overweight for two years now, I still have never known the feeing of not being fat. I still think fat, I still feel fat. It is hard to explain what I see in the mirror. I look pretty good I know, I get compliments, men notice me all the time. I know that I am no longer fat but I still feel that fat girl inside me. People comment about how thin I am and sometimes I actually get annoyed as though I am still that 240 pound woman and they are just making fun of me. I feel better physcially and I know I look better but some days I just don't know how to get my mind to forget that fat girl and embrace the new me.