Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is Everybody Doing? What's New?

Everybody has been so quiet lately, so I thought I would start a new topic on how we are all doing. Just a topic where we can check in when we can. :D

I'm doing okay -- the weight loss has definitely slowed down, so I've had to bump up the exercise and adjust my eating a little bit to shake it up. I've only had one fill, and will probably get another one at the end of this month. I think I need it, because I've been getting a little hungrier than usual -- I'm not snacking a whole lot, but sometimes I eat and think "geesh, should a banded person be able to eat that much?!"

Overall, I'm feeling MUCH better than I did a couple of months ago -- more energy, sleeping better, able to keep up with my kids a lot easier, and (I think my fellow lady bandster will be able to relate) -- I can sit and cross my legs very easily now, which a major NSV for me! :P

I love the band, and what it has helped me to achieve so far -- I think that I just need to work a little harder on my end (before surgery, my doctor told me that losing with the band is about 5-10% device/90-95% you, and that it does take work...I'm feeling that now).

Hope to hear from you all -- I miss chatting with you. :welldoneclap:

Hi Elle (and everyone else),

I miss the feb bandsters, too. I've been MIA mainly because my Mom was in the hospital for so long...and then home for one week and then BACK AGAIN! She ended up with a DVT (deep vein thrombosis...blood clot) and had to be readmitted again for another 8 days. She is doing better now but still it is a long haul for her health. Poor Mom!

Anyway, I didn't really get any restriction with my first fill which was six weeks ago. I swear I ended up with less restriction because they put some in and then took some back out... Well, today I went for a fill and so far I think this might be different. I sure hope so. I actually have had some binge moments (hanging head in shame) and I'm just so relieved that I haven't gained back anything in that six weeks. But I definitely wanted to lose but didn't have the willpower and no resriction...bad combo for me!!

So, today starts the next chapter for me. I plan on coming back to the site more often. I think it helps me to feel connected and focused.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Did anyone ever hear from Smokey again? She was so funny and then she vanished!

JPT

Everybody has been so quiet lately, so I thought I would start a new topic on how we are all doing. Just a topic where we can check in when we can. :D

I'm doing okay -- the weight loss has definitely slowed down, so I've had to bump up the exercise and adjust my eating a little bit to shake it up. I've only had one fill, and will probably get another one at the end of this month. I think I need it, because I've been getting a little hungrier than usual -- I'm not snacking a whole lot, but sometimes I eat and think "geesh, should a banded person be able to eat that much?!"

Overall, I'm feeling MUCH better than I did a couple of months ago -- more energy, sleeping better, able to keep up with my kids a lot easier, and (I think my fellow lady bandster will be able to relate) -- I can sit and cross my legs very easily now, which a major NSV for me! :P

I love the band, and what it has helped me to achieve so far -- I think that I just need to work a little harder on my end (before surgery, my doctor told me that losing with the band is about 5-10% device/90-95% you, and that it does take work...I'm feeling that now).

Hope to hear from you all -- I miss chatting with you. :welldoneclap:

Hi girls--well, as you know I have had my fair share of issues with the band--had trouble keeping food down, wasn't losing any weight in spite of working out with a trainer twice a week and going to the gym on my own on two other days. I bought a Polar RS300 Wear Link to track my heart rate and calories burned and that has helped quite a bit--I recommend it to everyone.

I have lost 3 lbs since my last post, what was that...two weeks ago? Three weeks ago? It's been a struggle but I am doing it. My caloric intake is about 1200 calories a day, with most of that from Protein. The food is finally going down easier. I went to a brand new endocrinologist who has taught me quite a bit about how my pituitary gland and adrenal glands work with my thyroid and why removing Cytomel from my meds, eating within an hour of waking and switching my synthroid to nighttime will help me. So I feel like I am on the road to losing more. I had no idea how much all of that was affecting my weight loss.

So I am down to 270--22 lbs total loss. All I can say is, it is better than where I would be WITHOUT the band, and I love what the band is doing so far. And I knew this was going to be a slow process for me, it's just hard to see people in my support group dropping 2-3 lbs a week not being even close to perfect and I am working sooo hard just to get a tiny result. I'll get there, though.

Oh gosh, I had no idea you were having this much trouble! Ugh!

I'm glad you have help figuring out ways to make it work for you!

My main problems were the lack of restriction and lack of focus on my part due to other things going on.

I'm determined now to get myself back on track,

I wonder if I should mention to my friend that she should take her thyroid meds at night... she loses like a snail gets very discouraged!

Hi girls--well, as you know I have had my fair share of issues with the band--had trouble keeping food down, wasn't losing any weight in spite of working out with a trainer twice a week and going to the gym on my own on two other days. I bought a Polar RS300 Wear Link to track my heart rate and calories burned and that has helped quite a bit--I recommend it to everyone.

I have lost 3 lbs since my last post, what was that...two weeks ago? Three weeks ago? It's been a struggle but I am doing it. My caloric intake is about 1200 calories a day, with most of that from Protein. The food is finally going down easier. I went to a brand new endocrinologist who has taught me quite a bit about how my pituitary gland and adrenal glands work with my thyroid and why removing Cytomel from my meds, eating within an hour of waking and switching my synthroid to nighttime will help me. So I feel like I am on the road to losing more. I had no idea how much all of that was affecting my weight loss.

So I am down to 270--22 lbs total loss. All I can say is, it is better than where I would be WITHOUT the band, and I love what the band is doing so far. And I knew this was going to be a slow process for me, it's just hard to see people in my support group dropping 2-3 lbs a week not being even close to perfect and I am working sooo hard just to get a tiny result. I'll get there, though.

Anyway, I didn't really get any restriction with my first fill which was six weeks ago. I swear I ended up with less restriction because they put some in and then took some back out... Well, today I went for a fill and so far I think this might be different. I sure hope so. I actually have had some binge moments (hanging head in shame) and I'm just so relieved that I haven't gained back anything in that six weeks. But I definitely wanted to lose but didn't have the willpower and no resriction...bad combo for me!!

So, today starts the next chapter for me. I plan on coming back to the site more often. I think it helps me to feel connected and focused.

I am right with you on this one. I have had a few binge moments over the holidays and wish I didn't. My first fill really didn't do anything and I can eat anything and everything I want. I was doing very well, going to gym 5 days a week and doing just what I was supposed to eating wise and making great choices. Then I had a few days in a row that I was committed to volunteering at my childrens school and couldn't work out. Well when that happens it is so easy to not go to the gym and now it has been 1.5 weeks since I have been there. I got a free 3 month membership at the gym w/ my doctors office. It takes me 30 minutes to get there so between 5 hours of driving and the price of gas I just can't do it as much. :( I may just join the gym that is 1/2 a mile away. Makes so much more sense tome and it will be cheaper then the gas money I am using.

Today too, starts the next chapter for me. I just got back from my second fill. I have 5cc's in a 10cc band. I had my Easter binge and now it is back to business.

I am also going to make sure that I am here daily. It will help me to be accountable and encouraged.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Wendy

Just checking in! I'm feeling a little discouraged lately... I haven't lost anything since my fill two weeks ago. IT SUCKS! I've been working out 5-6 times a week for 30 mins or more a day. I'm only eating about 1200 calories, so I don't understand what is going on. I'm trying to just power thru and I'm hoping after my TOM some LBs will just fall off! It's hard not to get frustrated though! Good luck every one!

Hello everyone, I to have been struggling a little. I went for my 2nd fill and got to tight. It was awful. All I did was throw up for 2 weeks straight. I kept thinking it would get better but it didn't. I finally went back to the doctor this week and he took out .5cc's. Now I think I am to loose. I am back to being able to eat just about anything. It is weird how just a little amount can make such a difference. It seems like the most frustrating part of this whole process is finding the right amount for your fill. By nature I am not a patient person so this is driving me crazy. I want to get to the perfect spot NOW so that I can start getting this weight off. I have lost almost 50lbs so far. My main motivation for getting the lap band (self-pay) is because I am 42 years old and a little over a year ago I had a massive heart attack. (That was a surprise) It scares me that if I do not get this weight off and get healthy that I am going to have another one. Each day is definetly a new adventure. This website is definetly a huge help. It is so nice to talk to other people that are going through the same thing. Are any of you struggling getting your meds down? I have to take 8 pills a day which is pratically a meal.

Just checking in! I'm feeling a little discouraged lately... I haven't lost anything since my fill two weeks ago. IT SUCKS! I've been working out 5-6 times a week for 30 mins or more a day. I'm only eating about 1200 calories, so I don't understand what is going on. I'm trying to just power thru and I'm hoping after my TOM some LBs will just fall off! It's hard not to get frustrated though! Good luck every one!

I have been where you are. Remember that your body is going to hold on to Water when you work out. I gained 5 lbs in about three days after I started hard-core working out with a trainer for an hour twice a week and walking in between. It took FOREVER for that to start coming off. It was so discouraging. It has to do with the lactic acid and how it leaves your body. It apparently needs a LOT of Water to be removed. So just keep that in mind!!

Your body will adjust and the weight will start to come off. You might want to post what you're eating and when, because that's a big problem for people too. My doc says NO snacking in between meals and absolutely nothing after 8PM except water or sugar free Jello.

Wow, that is so rough! Congratulations on getting the surgery and taking the first step toward a new lifestyle!

I think it is very typical of bandsters going through these things. I got my second fill two days ago and I have had some minor vomitting issues both times I tried to eat normal food. However, tonight I did better. I think there is some swelling initially?

Anyway, I guess we just have to be patient and it will eventually all come off. I figured it would take about a year to lose so I know I still have a lot of time to lose the rest of the weight. The surgeon told me that it usually takes about 3 (or even 4) fills for people to get to that good restricted point.

I wish I knew what size CC band I had and how many CCs of saline is in it. I get the feeling that they don't really want their patients to focus on that for some reason.

But I did see a weight change this week already. I'm feeling confident that I will weigh a decent amt less when I go back for fill 4.

JPT

Hello everyone, I to have been struggling a little. I went for my 2nd fill and got to tight. It was awful. All I did was throw up for 2 weeks straight. I kept thinking it would get better but it didn't. I finally went back to the doctor this week and he took out .5cc's. Now I think I am to loose. I am back to being able to eat just about anything. It is weird how just a little amount can make such a difference. It seems like the most frustrating part of this whole process is finding the right amount for your fill. By nature I am not a patient person so this is driving me crazy. I want to get to the perfect spot NOW so that I can start getting this weight off. I have lost almost 50lbs so far. My main motivation for getting the lap band (self-pay) is because I am 42 years old and a little over a year ago I had a massive heart attack. (That was a surprise) It scares me that if I do not get this weight off and get healthy that I am going to have another one. Each day is definetly a new adventure. This website is definetly a huge help. It is so nice to talk to other people that are going through the same thing. Are any of you struggling getting your meds down? I have to take 8 pills a day which is pratically a meal.

Thanks TexasMama! I usually don't eat anything after about 6 or 7 pm... Maybe I am not drinking enough Water? I don't understand because it seems like the more water I drink the heavier I am the next day. I don't know what is up. I am eating 3 meals and 1 snack (usually a yogurt.) a day. I know the weight will catch up eventually, but I wish it would hurry up!!

Hi all...thought I'd say hello. I've been a little frustrated as well. I have been at a stand still since the week after surgery. I got a fill two weeks ago and don't even notice a difference :( I guess I should be happy I'm not gaining :) Everyone seems to be moving along a little at a time...Anyone want to share what they are eating in a day?

I'm so glad you all are doing well, and it is so nice to hear from you guys.

JPT ~ I'm so glad that your mom is on the mend. I hope she continues to heal and get better quickly. (((HUGS))) I know it's been crazy for you -- we're glad to see you back!

Texas Mama ~ How do you like your Polar? I'm debating getting the watch (FT4, I think?). Do you use it daily? I just have to debate if I want to spend the $$$ (although, it will probably make me use it more). I have faith in you that you will hit your goals soon -- you are determined and are doing all of the right things. :)

Journey ~ Did you join the closer gym? I hear you on gas money. I have a relatively short commute to work, but my husband drives quite a distance (in a large SUV), so we are feeling the $90+ fill ups at the pump. UGH.

Kori ~ How are you doing? Working out definitely seems to hinder weight a little -- with Water retention. For me, I also think I drink a lot more Water when I'm working out/physically active. I HATE plateaus...I'll probably say that a million times.

Pzeadow ~ Welcome! I agree, you made an awesome decision to take your health into your own hands. :) The only meds I struggle taking are my allergy meds and metformin (for insulin resistance/pre-diabetes)...the metformin can be crushed, but it is DISGUSTING, so I try to swallow it -- sometimes it sits in my throat a little while and slowly goes down...a very weird feeling.

Soph ~ When is your next fill? Mine is in about 2 weeks. Have you talked to your doc? How is your restriction? Here's what I am eating today (I find meal planning really helps me):

Breakfast: Lean Body for Her chocolate shake with 2 T. PB2 Chocolate: 225 cal., 15 carbs, 34 grams Protein (LOVE the way this tastes!)

Snack: Babybel Light; high Protein pretzels: 110 cal., 11 carbs, 9 protein

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad with jalapeno ranch dressing and smoked gouda: 325 cal, 7 carbs, 27 grams protein (salads are my go-to for low carb/high protein...fast and fresh in the summer)

Dinner: Spaghetti squash with lean turkey meatballs and fresh Tomato sauce with a little parmesan, 350 cal, 32 carbs, 30 grams of protein

Total for today: 1010 cal; 65 carbs; 100 grams protein.

Sometimes I may throw in another lower carb snack to get my calories around 1200 (it's where I think I do best) like "Just the Cheese" Snacks or Oh Yeah chocolate PB wafers (those are awesome and low carb/high protein -- much like a candy bar).

How about the rest of you?

For me, I'm doing okay -- sitting on a plateau and fluctuating up and down by 3-5 lbs. I've got to stop being a scale junkie and start weighing myself just once a week. Not sure if I can do it...

Hey Elle! I'm still sitting on my plateau. I was down 1lb yesterday, but I can't seem to lose the 1 stinkin' lb I need to get me to my 35lb loss. That stupid lb is taunting me! I have upped my workouts to an hour and higher intensity, so I'm hoping maybe I'll lose my 1 lb before my fill on tuesday.

It looks like you're doing GREAT! I noticed on your ticker you're more than 1/2 way to your goal!!! Sure wish I was 1/2 way there!! :)

I hope everyone is doing well!! I enjoy checking up with everyone's progress & struggles! Best of luck to us all!

My surgery date was Feb 25, 2011 weighing 243. My first fill 1cc was April 6, 2011. My last fill was May 9th and my weigh in was 210lbs fill of 2cc for a total of 3cc now. (so I had only lost 1lb between fills) The Dr said that my band was angled an he wasn't sure if the first time I actually filled it.

I feel the restriction this time but more in the last couple of days since I started my period. Anyone else feel this tight feeling when they are menstrating?

SD 2/25/11 243lb

4-6-11 1cc fill 211lbs

5/9/11 2cc fill 210lbs

Hi all.... I've not been on here in more than a month or so... been busy with the kids soccer and track schedules... :) I've been doing great... I've had 4 fills with my last one being about a month ago... and I think i'm at a really good point. I get frustrated because the scale won't move for 2 weeks, then boom... it drops... its crazy... but regular... I'm down 45-47 pounds.. depending on the day, lol... I have good restriction and have really had to think about my bite sizes and chewing... which is great. I've been trying to make better choices, but even if i'm not eating extremely healthy, i'm still eating wayyy less. I'm also seeing those NSV's i hear people talking about... I'm in Levi's that have been in my drawers for probably 8 years!! Whoop whoop!! I have a lot to lose yet, but i'm starting to get compliments... (haven't told alot of people I even had surgery)... It really feels good to finally be on the right track... I'm soooo happy I made this leap, and hope and pray I continue to see success :) Congrats to all of you... keep up the good work!! Thank you Dr. Watkins!