Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone a military spouse?

I am in the process of getting approved for the lap band... I am super excitedrolleyes.gif and its the only thing on mind, but I am a little concerned about moving around... If there are are any Military spouses did you have a hard time finding a doctor who would do your fills? My surgeon said the surgery is more common in Europe and it wouldn't be a problem over there in the in the event we get stationed overseas.. But even if we are on state side, I don't want it to be an issue finding someone to do the fills.. I have my psyc evaluation on Thursday, already got the okay from PCP and surgeon, and am looking to have my surgery in the middle of June when my family and friends have left from visiting. I would appreciate any advice...

Thanks

I am in the process of getting approved for the lap band... I am super excitedrolleyes.gif and its the only thing on mind, but I am a little concerned about moving around... If there are are any Military spouses did you have a hard time finding a doctor who would do your fills? My surgeon said the surgery is more common in Europe and it wouldn't be a problem over there in the in the event we get stationed overseas.. But even if we are on state side, I don't want it to be an issue finding someone to do the fills.. I have my psyc evaluation on Thursday, already got the okay from PCP and surgeon, and am looking to have my surgery in the middle of June when my family and friends have left from visiting. I would appreciate any advice...

Thanks

There are quite a few military spouses on here. I'm sure they'll be able to advise you. Good luck.

Thanks

I'm a military spouse (though, now retired) and I live in Europe. I've had no problems finding a doctor here. I live near Frankfurt, Germany where I had my surgery. I've only seen the same doctor's staff that did my surgery which was 3 years ago. I still see him now as a retiree. Most military dependents come to Frankfurt from various places in Germany. However, some have had surgery in Mannheim, Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern and I'm sure other places I've not heard about. But, while I'm in the waiting room, I ask the Americans where they are from and I've gotten various responses from all around Germany. So, if you are here in Europe, you probably won't have a hard time finding a doctor. I'll have to let some of the other spouse reply to the Stateside options as I've never been Stateside or lived Stateside with my band. Can't wait to go home so my family can see the new me!

I am a military spouse -- but my DH is Army National Guard now - so he stay home.

The last 8 years has been alot of deployments to Iraq, Kuwait, Bosnia and now Afghanistan

But I wouldn't think that you COULDN'T find a doctor - this procedure is more and more common

and more surgeons are getting trained.

I am two years out from surgery and now only see my surgeon about every 4-6 months - unless I have a concern.

GOOD LUCK!!

I am a military spouse -- but my DH is Army National Guard now - so he stay home.

The last 8 years has been alot of deployments to Iraq, Kuwait, Bosnia and now Afghanistan

But I wouldn't think that you COULDN'T find a doctor - this procedure is more and more common

and more surgeons are getting trained.

I am two years out from surgery and now only see my surgeon about every 4-6 months - unless I have a concern.

GOOD LUCK!!

I have had the same concern. We are Navy and will be leaving our current location for another in Dec. My concern is...Ive read on this site that a lot of surgeons don't or won't fill patients that were banded by another Dr. so then what? We are staying state side and will be moving to a not so populated area away from a base so what do I do? This is why I was considering the gastric sleeve because there isnt maintenance like the band has but Tricare won't pay for it unless there is a base near you that does it from what I understand. Not sure I really want surgery on a military base. Lots of bad press on that....

I have had the same concern. We are Navy and will be leaving our current location for another in Dec. My concern is...Ive read on this site that a lot of surgeons don't or won't fill patients that were banded by another Dr. so then what? We are staying state side and will be moving to a not so populated area away from a base so what do I do? This is why I was considering the gastric sleeve because there isnt maintenance like the band has but Tricare won't pay for it unless there is a base near you that does it from what I understand. Not sure I really want surgery on a military base. Lots of bad press on that....

Navy wife here, my understanding is Doc's don't like to operate on bands done by other docs. I don't think you would have a problem finding a new Doc for fills.

Also there are way more good stories at military clinics, hospitals, ect but the "bad" ones make for "good" stories in the news.

From what I have heard the gastric sleeve is a lot more risky.... Not only that if you want more kids you will not be able to get enough nutrition as needed according to my surgeon. He said if we wanted to have more kids with the lap band than they would just take all the Fluid out of the band. Maybe just maybe if there was a procedure that needed to be done maybe the military would pay for the traveling expenses. I know they will for active duty, not sure for spouses. smile.gif If there are complications, then the lapband can be removed, the sleeve is perm, food for thought ... What did they say your requirements were for Tricare? They told me all I need was a pysc evaluation which is today ( I am nervous), and if I pass that then they can operate the end of May beginning of June. I really think it depends where you are stationed at on the medical care. When we were in Hawaii we had excellent care, in TX there were never any appointments and always going to an urgent care. I wish you the best of luck and hope we can chat more!!

From what I have heard the gastric sleeve is a lot more risky.... Not only that if you want more kids you will not be able to get enough nutrition as needed according to my surgeon. He said if we wanted to have more kids with the lap band than they would just take all the Fluid out of the band. Maybe just maybe if there was a procedure that needed to be done maybe the military would pay for the traveling expenses. I know they will for active duty, not sure for spouses. smile.gif If there are complications, then the lapband can be removed, the sleeve is perm, food for thought ... What did they say your requirements were for Tricare? They told me all I need was a pysc evaluation which is today ( I am nervous), and if I pass that then they can operate the end of May beginning of June. I really think it depends where you are stationed at on the medical care. When we were in Hawaii we had excellent care, in TX there were never any appointments and always going to an urgent care. I wish you the best of luck and hope we can chat more!!

My thought on the sleeve was that it would simplify things meaning with all the moving I wouldn't have to find fill Dr's all over the country or world but that is ok I will do what I have to do as all military spouses do on a regular basis. We were in Jacksonville for awhile and I refused to go to the hospital there. It was just one bad experience after another plus all the press didn't help so I pretty much swore off military hospitals.

I found out today Tricare wants a psych eval and they said to get a letter of necessity from my pcp however I have to think the letter might be a requirement from surgery clinic to have as part of my submission packet to Tricare when they try to get approval. That was it I was very surprised how simple this process has been. Calling to get appointment for the refferal an letter tomarrow. Hope your psych eval went well.