Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone give me some info on this procedure and what to expect?

The more details the better :mellow:

A friend was going to pick me up and go out to lunch until I feel up to driving- can I drive home an hour or so after having the procedure done. Will I even be able to eat afterwards-maybe just sip some tea?

I only ask because it's about an hour from my house and I would rather not have to ask someone to take off of work to drive me home.

Your input will help me make my decision- thanks so much!

you will need to be driven home, you are knocked out with a strong drug, you will be sleepy so u will not be able to drive. I had the drug that Michael Jackson od'd on, its really relaxing lol

After mine I just had a little sore throat after i woke up, was drowsey the way home. Came home and slept for a bit then was fine. Its not that much of a big deal, its pretty easy.

You should be fine eating

You are not supposed to drive at all the same day. You will most likely have a iv catheter put in and given propofol and then you will wake up and it will be over. They WILL NOT let you drive home after that. I had a scheduled dentist appointment the same day as mine and I was still so tired 5 or 6 hours later I skipped it. After my test was over my mom drove me home and went home herself and I fell asleep on the couch. As for eating, yes I was able to, but was way to tired to even think of eating right after the procedure. Even though I was NPO since the night before

Hi, I live about an hour away from where I had mine done too, and had planned on going back home that day, but I had a terrible headache after I woke up from the sedation. I dont think that is very common, but It did happen to me, so I just wanted you to be prepared. Also, while he was doing the Endoscopy, he did a couple of tissue biopsies, no big deal, but I really felt them burn when I had a diet coke the next day, it felt like heart burn. But food and all that was fine. Its really a quick, easy procedure! Good luck! :rolleyes:

They will not let you drive yourself home...one of the first questions they asked me while they were prepping me for the procedure was "Who is here to drive you home?" I was fine to walk out to my car (no wheelchair needed) but I was very drowsy and wouldn't have been safe behind the wheel. As far as eating goes, they gave me juice after the procedure and then told me to wait an hour before eating. Your throat may feel a bit scratchy but otherwise it was a snap.

I was absolutely fine after mine. No pain at all. It was over quick felt like I blinked and it was done. If I recall I went our after to lunch with a friend

It's simple, no driving though. I actually went right to Breakfast once I was done. It only takes about half an hour and before you know it you're on the way home. Good luck!

I had it done several times, and no you can not drive... First time they scoped down the stomach, I was fine.

Second I had a heck of a soar throat.

Wow, I was not put under for this and it was one of the worse things I ever had...If I knew how bad it was I would of not had the surgery but glad I did...Looks like everyone else was put under...

:oThanks for the input! At least I'll be able to go to lunch because I have my pre-op the first thing in the am and I'll be starving (no eating after midnight) then I go for the scope.

I know quite a few people with the band and I highly recommend you harass someone to come pick you up for your own safety. Would you driving home is you were drunk and could barely walk??? Well the drug they will pump you with is similar in effect.

I hope you the best and a speedy recovery

why do you need an endoscope???Is this required by everyone??? I have had all my pre op tests done and no one ever mentioned an endoscope? Hope I haven't missed this one.

why do you need an endoscope???Is this required by everyone??? I have had all my pre op tests done and no one ever mentioned an endoscope? Hope I haven't missed this one.

I thought this was a standard procedure for the lapband. I have the Dr. visit first and then next week the scope.:lol: