Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Australians here....

Hi I am Susannah, I posted a few days agothat I will probably being getting banded ,but scared etc. I am just wondering if there is any support groups etc in Melbourne where you can talk to others about the op and life thereafter?I love Americans also:), but it may be beneficial to get a local perspective etc. Thanks so much. Susannah

hey and welcome

where abouts in melbourne are u looking at?

who is your surgeon?

Sorry read that wrong. Alfred Hospital, Prof Paul OBrien. Haven't had consult yet. Anybody know the good oil on the Epworth? Susannah

paul o brien is meant to be really good

im pretty sure that he has supports group held at the alfred or the avenue once a month

ring his office and see when they are

Thankyou so much Fee.:) It is nice to know that there are others out there, and that I am not the only one going through this whole odyssey.Susannah

Hey Susannah,

I am in NSW and a member of most of the Australian groups. There is a Yahoo group called Ozband and there is alot of ppl in there from Melbourne who are banded and through OBrian. Message me if you want the addy to the site and Ill let you know.

Hi Susannah, I too am from Victoria, and yes the above mentioned site will help you with support. I'm new to this site also, and was banded in August by Phillip Gan in Warnambool

Hi Susannah - Welcome to LBT :eek:

I was banded at The Avenue, by one of Prof's colleague's, Mr Gary Crosthwaite. I've looked for support groups in the Melbourne area but haven't had any luck finding one as of yet, so if you do hear of one, please let us know.

I live in Williamstown, but work in Prahran, so I'm usually over on your side of town. If you have any questions, feel free to yell out.

Oh .. and if any Melbourne based people want to catch up sometime for coffee or whatever, I'd be happy to jump in!

Hi Jess, long time no speak. Hope you had a nice time away (assume you're home?).

I was banded by Mr Crosthwaite too. I saw him today for my first fill.

I dont know of any face to face support groups, although Im a member of an msn forum and we're meeting for a coffee on Sunday as there's quite a contingent of outer SE Melbourners.

We should do that coffee somewhere central. If you want the MSN addy I can pm it to you. It's nowhere near as large as this board though.

Hi Susannah - Welcome to LBT :eek:

I was banded at The Avenue, by one of Prof's colleague's, Mr Gary Crosthwaite. I've looked for support groups in the Melbourne area but haven't had any luck finding one as of yet, so if you do hear of one, please let us know.

I live in Williamstown, but work in Prahran, so I'm usually over on your side of town. If you have any questions, feel free to yell out.

Oh .. and if any Melbourne based people want to catch up sometime for coffee or whatever, I'd be happy to jump in!

hey jess your like 15 mins down the road from me

i would love to meet up for coffee at some stage

pm me if your interested and we will take it form there

Guest myband

I was banded at The Avenue Private by Dr Skinner.

I initially went along to an introductory session to find out more about the band from Prof Paul O'brien but a Dr Skinner took the session so I ended up having him do the surgery as I could get in much earlier.

Prof O'brien is brilliant and mainly only uses the 4ml band. Dr Skinner on the other hand usually only places the Vanguard. I did not find this out untill I went in for my first fill after 7 weeks of being banded, when he said he had put 4ml in the band.

I am a slow looser but very happy with my band and follow up appointment every month by Dr Skinner's assistant Dr Paul McCartney.

I had a doctor's appointment this morning, so I asked my doctor if they ran any support groups, or if he knew of any. He said that he doesn't know of any in the area, but its something Professor O'Brien has thought about quite a bit. I guess he just hasn't decided yet. I can imagine it'd be quite the event to have to organize .. but here's hoping sometime soon one will be put together.

Jacqui, yep I'm back .. and soooooooo glad to be in my own bed again LOL. Holidays are exhausting! Especially when they revolve around visiting family.

I'd love to catch up for a coffee with any of you - anyone go to Chapel St much?