Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad breath-20 months & 145 pounds later

I am experiencing terrible bad breath still. I do not eat a lot of carbs, but more than I did while losing the 145 pounds. I have a sensible diet... Mixture of foods... My Lapband and I have become great partners, but I find this oral issue very disturbing. The confidence I may have gained is nearly shot by my wanting to keep my distance. Looking for answers and/or products I can use.

If flossing, brushing and rinsing isn't getting ride of it then perhaps a trip to the doctor would be a good start?

Diabetes, ulcers, stomach inflamation, gum disease, allergies, medications and so can cause bad breath as an unpleasant symptom.

I've always found before my 121 pound weight loss and now that Constipation makes my breath more foul. I have to be sure my intestines are not full of junk that won't pass.

If flossing, brushing and rinsing isn't getting ride of it then perhaps a trip to the doctor would be a good start?

Diabetes, ulcers, stomach inflamation, gum disease, allergies, medications and so can cause bad breath as an unpleasant symptom.

I agree with this. Do you see your dental hygienist every 6 months? This may have nothing to do with the weightloss.

hi ya my hubby had bad breath once and our doc said its dew to a dry mouth??

I am experiencing terrible bad breath still. I do not eat a lot of carbs, but more than I did while losing the 145 pounds. I have a sensible diet... Mixture of foods... My Lapband and I have become great partners, but I find this oral issue very disturbing. The confidence I may have gained is nearly shot by my wanting to keep my distance. Looking for answers and/or products I can use.

I too have this problem... i am a dental assistant so my hygine is very good. i did ask my dr what could it be he said it is very comon with the lap band to experience bad breath.... i brush and floss 3 to 5 times aday and i use mints from a all natural store... they have oils in them to stop the bad breath...

yes a dry mouth will also give you bad breath...:D

Might want to go to the dentist and see what they say. Could be something with your stomach as well.

i experience that also. i think it is the Protein. my breath did not smell like this prior to this surgery and me drinking my protein.

I too have this problem... i am a dental assistant so my hygine is very good. i did ask my dr what could it be he said it is very comon with the lap band to experience bad breath.... i brush and floss 3 to 5 times aday and i use mints from a all natural store... they have oils in them to stop the bad breath...

yes a dry mouth will also give you bad breath...:D

I agree ! on my last fill the breath got really bad from a empty stomach. So I just rinsed with Water, then drank some. It will go away for me then.

But I plan to buy some breath strips.

If you have a high Protein diet, it may be that.

I hadfaecal breath odour for YEARS, never had a girlfriend till now. Talked to manydoctors who took my money then showed me the door....I finally had a friend whoused to suffers bad breath, tell me about an eBook he bought 5 or 6 months agohe asked me how his breath smelt and I didn’t smell a thing. He said the eBookamongst much else had him stop eating dairy food/ soft drinks and coffee/tea.It covers every possible cause and provides the cure for each cause . So I’mlike reading it and doing all the stuff it says to do. Thinking this has to bebull. But after a few days my tongue started turning red and felt nice. Iworked up the courage to ask a friend how my breath smelt and he’s like I don’tsmell anything. Now I’m thinking all those years of humiliation and I couldhave solved it ffs! There’s a site about it called Oraltech Labs. Just googleit. Anyway hope this works for you too. Sufferer no more!

Thanks! I did make an investment in the BreathRX that I saw mentioned here a few times and I can tell a difference. I do appreciate it and will Google!

Are you sure it is not Ketosis? This happens when you diet too much and the body starts to basically "eat itself" I lost weight too quickly and when I went to see dietitian after my band she said she could smell my breath ( which was quite embarrassing) and that I was in a state of ketosis and needed to eat more calories.

Are you sure it is not Ketosis? This happens when you diet too much and the body starts to basically "eat itself" I lost weight too quickly and when I went to see dietitian after my band she said she could smell my breath ( which was quite embarrassing) and that I was in a state of ketosis and needed to eat more calories.

There are a number of reasons your body can go into ketosis. One is, literally, starvation and yes your body is cannibalising its own muscle to get the Protein it needs.

The other is through a low carb diet. Protein on low carb diets tend to be 30% or higher. On this type of diet, the body does not cannibalize its own muscle. Instead, the protein we eat is converted to glucose and that provides energy to the body. It's more involved than that but if you want to read the whole explanation, click here.

Do a low carb diet long enough and the ketosis goes away. It's easy to understand why after reading Dr. Eade's blog (see link) about ketosis. When I first started low carbing, my breath reeked and I couldn't even use mints because there were too many carbs in them! :blink: Now, no more bad breath.

To the OP...if you aren't low carbing below 60gm, it's most likely not ketosis and I'd look for other possible causes.

Do you have a tongue scraper? I recently bought one for a couple bucks at Walmart and it has really helped me!