Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out and frustrated!

I'm 3 weeks post op now and I haven't lost a single pound since surgery! Grr I'm super frustrated... Thankfully I haven't gained any weight back but it's still frustrating. I've been trying super hard to stick to a 1200 cal diet... the most I've ate in one day is 2000. Like seriously! That's been rough on me I bet I was eating 4-5000 cal preop! I realize I don't have much restriction yet, since my band is empty, but I will prob still be eating 1200 cal a day when I have restriction. I am meeting with a nutrionist on Friday and I'm hoping she can point me in the right direction. I understand my body is healing but can't it eat a little fat while it's at it! Is this normal? Has ne one else delt with this?

Don't worry, you're not alone. In the first month or so after surgery your body is still healing. YOur main focu during this time isn't to focus on losing the weight, it's to let your body heal properly, so that once it does, everything goes as smoothly as possible. It is very common to not lose any weight in the 6 weeks after surgery; in fact, it isn't uncommon to even gain a little bbit of weight during this time. It's a big change, not just on your body, but mentally as well. You have to relearn how to eat, to figure out what your body's signals are, you have to learn the difference between head hunger and real hunger. It's a lot to deal with. But you aren't alone. You will start losing the weight. Just focus on letting your body heal itself first, so that you can be the best version of you possible.

Your body is healing. Takes about 6 weeks for everything to even out. Also you are on solid foods and can eat 2000 calories a day after 3 weeks? Following the diet from your doctor?

You won't lose any weight if you eat 2000 calories, be honest with yourself, it's the truth.. You have to burn (lose) 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. So either by eating less or exercising or both. What you did pre-op is out of the equation.. Yes, if you are heavier you lose faster.

I only had 2000 calories once, every other day I've been around 1200. I am on solids since my doc only required liquids x 1 week and then progress as tolerated. I can eat everything but bread and rice. I have been looking online at calorie intake for weight loss and everything, I've checked about 15 calculators, says for my height, age, weight, and activity level I should consume 1900 cal for weight loss of 1 lb per week. I am strongly considering 1500 cal a day to see if bumping up my cal intake a little helps my weight loss. I don't really have much to lose! lol Thanks for all of the reassurance :)

I DONT WANT TO SCARE YOU BUT I HAD MY SURGERY ON SEPTEMBER 9 2010 LOST 30 LBS I WAS A STRICT DIETER FOR MONTHS AND DIDN'T LOSE A LBS. I HAVENT GAINED ANY WEIGHT BUT I AM STILL STUCK TRYING TO GET TO THE SWEET SPOT. I AM AT 7 CC AND I AM FEELING LIKE THIS IS THE SPOT. AS YOU CAN SEE I AM ALMOST HITTING A YEAR. IT TAKES TIME FOR SOME PEOPLE AND IT IS HARD NOT TO GET DISCOURAGED I HAVE CHEATED SEVERAL TIMES CAUSE OF DEPRESSION OF NOT LOSING. JUST HANG IN THERE

I know this sounds impossible, but can you put your scale away for a while and just focus on eating well and not on the weight you want to be losing? LOL- I should take my own advice! I'm a few days behind you and eating 800-1000 calories a day and haven't lost for the past week (my ticker includes the pre-op diet).

Online calculators are rarely correct, especially for obese people. I'm eating 1700 calories, with an hour+ of exercise a day, and I weigh 130lbs or so and I'm still losing. 1900 seems too high, especially when you have excess fat to lose. You need to focus on a caloric deficit and finding that really comes through trial and error.

I'd recommend sticking it out until 6 weeks before you start messing around with your calories. Stick to a level that works for now and then focus on the scale. As some have said, you're 3 weeks post-op and you really need to take a step back and let yourself heal, honestly. Your body just underwent something very very invasive and while you may feel great on the outside, your body needs time to heal. It needs calories and nutrients to heal. Put the scale away for a few more weeks. It won't kill you, you're not going to gain 15lbs. Practice eating high Protein meals, getting in your Water, and resting when you can.

Yes weight loss is important and is something we all want, immediately, but it doesn't work that way. Did you get fat overnight? Nope. Are you gonna lose steadily and constantly now that you're banded? Nope. My advice is to take a step back, breathe, and let yourself heal, even if you don't want to hear it. If you're this worked up over not losing 3 weeks post-op, you have a pretty frustrating road ahead as weight loss is NOT steady, linear, or constant. You'll lose a pound one week, 5 the next, and 0 the next. It's all part of the journey. Learn that it's a marathon, not a race.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone I met with a nutritionist today and she strongly encouraged me to stick as close as I can to 1200 cal....I know I know you all are right!lol I'm just gonna stop weighing myself for now. Guess I'll see how much I weigh on May 17th when I go in for my first fill :) My coworkers and hubby comment that I look better and a lot less puffy so even though I haven't lost weight at least I look a lil better :)